Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can we use lithium deep cycle as starting battery?

I imagine there is a post somewhere about this , but as I research Ionic says we can
    On their site they say their 125 ah has 900 cca.

Has Technoloy changed ? I thought we could not do this .
    What is everyone doing, I am just making the change now .

Are most Lithiums the same now for this as long as they have BMS management?
    Ionic seems to be the only one saying you can use their deep cycle for starting , Dakota sells a dual purpose for staring.

Opinions????
    2002 Triton 190 FS , 200 Pro XS, Garmin Force, Garmin 10 Ultra sv, LVS 34, 2 Garmin UHD 93sv

2. Member
    Ionic 125ah lithium has been flawless on my 250SHO for two years now as a starting battery. Also have 3 HDS 12s, Helix 12, pumps, lights, everything else hooked up to it.
    2014 920/SHO

Powerhouse Lithium also has a Starter Lithium. Its got a pretty cool feature on it with a jump start feature.
    Shoot Kevin at KnK a message.

4. Member
    Is there any possibility of a lithium starting battery going into protection mode and shutting your boat off while you're going 70mph down the lake? I think that was the one reservation people had when thinking about using a lithium as a starting battery. Not sure if technology has changed?

Quote Originally Posted by toonedin View Post
    I imagine there is a post somewhere about this , but as I research Ionic says we can
    On their site they say their 125 ah has 900 cca.

Has Technoloy changed ? I thought we could not do this .
    What is everyone doing, I am just making the change now .

Are most Lithiums the same now for this as long as they have BMS management?
    Ionic seems to be the only one saying you can use their deep cycle for starting , Dakota sells a dual purpose for staring.

Opinions????
    It's still not recommended for the older engines to my knowledge on the merc sections they only list them for approved use in the 4S engines.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    a cranking lithium battery is a cranking battery and has the correct BMS. Some companies are releasing what they call a duel purpose can be used as trolling or cranking. Any cranker could be used as a trolling however every trolling unless has the correct bms can not be used as a cranker. You can not just use a lithium that was designed for trolling as a cranker. A lithium cranker would have to meet all the released specs in order to be approved for use by mercury on the outboards listed within the service bulletin. our 105 ah Powerhouse cranker not only meeets but exceeds these specs, as does the relion and im told the all purpose 100 ah impulse
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 03-08-2023 at 12:02 PM.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    It's still not recommended for the older engines to my knowledge on the merc sections they only list them for approved use in the 4S engines.
    What's considered older? I have a 2017 SHO.

8. Member
    i have a Ionic 125ah for my Mercury 250 pro xs 4S. So far so good!!

9. Member
    Is there ever a chance of a lithium cranking battery going into sleep mode or protection mode and shutting your boat down while running?

10. Member
    The Relion starting battery has worked great for me and a '16 Opti Pro XS 225.

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    What's considered older? I have a 2017 SHO.
    Imo older is like Mercury efi or something prior to 2000. Something without a “normal” alternator.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

12. Member
    On older motors you risk smoking the stator or volt reg. I think only Mercury has actually approved there use with the caveat that if they think any damage was caused by the battery they wont cover the repair. I know several guys running them on newer yammies with no issues. My Suzuki dealer said dont do it but they have to say that.
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Southfork View Post
    On older motors you risk smoking the stator or volt reg. I think only Mercury has actually approved there use with the caveat that if they think any damage was caused by the battery they wont cover the repair. I know several guys running them on newer yammies with no issues. My Suzuki dealer said dont do it but they have to say that.
    Have our Powerhouse running on older mercs such as the optimax and etecs with stator charging systems no issues we also have them running on every brand of 4 stroke including Honda Suzuki Yamaha and Merc.

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paul40269 View Post
    Is there ever a chance of a lithium cranking battery going into sleep mode or protection mode and shutting your boat down while running?
    not with the proper BMS but this is why you run a cranking lithium and not a trolling lithium on the cranking side

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    not with the proper BMS but this is why you run a cranking lithium and not a trolling lithium on the cranking side
    quick question. Can you use two 12v 105 cranking batteries to crank and also run all electronics? I had a 12v 100 deep cycle but installer said I can’t have a deep cycle connected to motor as a backup to crank. So we installed two cranking batteries. Is that correct? I have a shut off switch and was wanting a system where if one battery died, I could switch it over and use the other battery to start. Is there any harm in using a cranking battery to run 3 graphs, livescope, and power poles? I also have three deep cycle 12v60 for trolling. Thanks!

16. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I have Ionics, zero issues

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

17. Hawg Catcher!! Big Bass Man's Avatar
    I have a 2007 & have been using a lithium,as a cranking battery, for 6 months so far, no issues at all. It gets charged on my 3 bank digital charger.

18. Member
    Ive had the ionic 125ah on my 150 sho for 2 years, no issues with graphs, 360 and ethet hub.
    My buddy is on year 3 with his on a 115sho with the electronics and no issues
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clemsondds View Post
    quick question. Can you use two 12v 105 cranking batteries to crank and also run all electronics? I had a 12v 100 deep cycle but installer said I can’t have a deep cycle connected to motor as a backup to crank. So we installed two cranking batteries. Is that correct? I have a shut off switch and was wanting a system where if one battery died, I could switch it over and use the other battery to start. Is there any harm in using a cranking battery to run 3 graphs, livescope, and power poles? I also have three deep cycle 12v60 for trolling. Thanks!
    I use 2 125 Ionics in parallel for starting and house duties. Several companies make isolators that keep two batteries separate but still allow both to be charged by the big motor. I don’t feel that is necessary. The talk about interference with electronics on your starting battery is more about wiring than the battery arrangement.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast