Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    He messaged this morning and confirmed that he had tried another 5v sensor in it's place and confirmed it's a DOA sensor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Hey Leon. I found an old tpi from about a 94-95 200. I tested it with 5 volts and grd on bench and it shows 0-5v when rotated. I reversed 5v and grd and sensor shows 5v at rest and 0 when rotated. I connected to motor with jumpers and it reads correct on computer. I am assumming this would confirm sensor is bad and wiring and ecu are good.

sounds like it , sometime production run problems can cause a whole batch of bad units.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Suspect that to be the case.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Well the saga continues. Dealer received a new sensor so I took my tester and volt meter and tested new one on the parts counter. Guess what, it reads 4.75 volts at rest and does not change when rotated.I had the outside one with me and two other 3 wire TPS and we checked them all and they read correct. All of these sensors have had the same date printed on package(11-18-22).Dealer has been very good as far as helping me with this. He is getting another sensor from a different warehouse hoping it has a different date.
    Last edited by Red70; 03-24-2023 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm thinking there's a batch that came in with a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12