Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replacing break pads

I posted this on the Phoenix form also with no reply so I thought I would
    try here.

I pulled the wheels off my MM trailer Sunday to check the rear seals for my

Vault hubs. When I pulled the wheels I found one of my break pads
    was broken in three places and was separated from the metal plate.
    First off I am assuming the the pad came unglued from the metal backing plate
    and then the pad broke. What puzzles me is why did the pad separate and dose anyone
    have any ideas what caused it. The other pads had probably 3/4 of there useful life left.

A couple questions about the new pads.
    2. Has anyone used the ceramic pads instead of the organic type and
    how are they performing.
    3. Should I replace with the Dexter brand or go with a larger brake manufacturer
    who makes the pads for the Kia sephia.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

2. Member
    I’m an auto tech and can say I’ve never replaced trailer brakes yet. So I am not going to try and answer some questions as I don’t like guessing. What I will say in my automotive experience is pads cracking or delaminating from backing sometimes is just poor manufacturing. I’ve seen other times from heat. Excessive dragging, being stuck in slides the get too hot and fail. There are normally signs with this. Rotors hot spotted and or uneven wear on pads. If none of that is present you may simply have gotten a bad pad on your rig. If you have signs of other symptoms then see if you have a bad caliper, hardware etc before you reinstall. If the rotor is hot spotted replace it.

As far as replacement parts I’m a fan of oem. That said I will leave others to answer what works well as that’s not my wheelhouse.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

I was informed that ceramic may not brake as well, i took that on a hunch that they may last longer, so i got them and they have lasted longer and brake well so im happy with the results

Mine uses the same pads as you. Same thing has happened to mine. They are only glued on so no rivets to hold the lining on. I have them on a 2 year replace schedule no matter what at this point

5. Member
    I have gone through this on my Easy Loader trailer that Skeeter used a few years ago. I am going to save you some headache! DO NOT USE the same pads (OEM) that came installed again! Go and get the Semi Metallic pads for a 1996 KIA Sophia (YEAR?). On mine 3 out of the 4 brake pad sets had come delaminated (unglued from metal). I choose to go the automotive brake pad route and never looked back! I have used the Kia pads for 3 seasons and they have been flawless and I tow a lot!

FYI: The Automotive Kia pads are riveted and glued so delamination is next to impossible. Also semi metallic work great, less brake dust and no issues with rust anymore then a car application. If you use your trailer in salt I might go to organic.

6. Member
    Ya gotta think if you use your brakes a lot and back a trailer into cold water when they're hot they might just delaminate quicker than a car's would. Anyhow, that particular set could have even been shoddily made who knows.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Ya gotta think if you use your brakes a lot and back a trailer into cold water when they're hot they might just delaminate quicker than a car's would. Anyhow, that particular set could have even been shoddily made who knows.
    The problem is the OEM trailer pads are ONLY GLUED. The auto pads are RIVITED AND GLUED....

8. Member
    I've been using the Kia Sephia pads over the last 20+ years on several different trailers with the DB35 UFP system. This past summer I pulled the breaks. Both pads had separated from the plates. First time I have seen that in 20 years. Doesn't leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    The problem is the OEM trailer pads are ONLY GLUED. The auto pads are RIVITED AND GLUED....
    I'm curious where you are finding riveted pads for a Kia Sephia?

I know I had suggested oem in reference to your first post, the OP had mentioned the Kia pads that's why I threw out I like oem, was only referencing car parts as is my background, not trailer pads.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

10. Member
    Any automotive store.

11. Scraps
    On an old RangerTrail I replaced with an "aggressive" pad and got good results. I forget the recipe, but think they were "titanium" aftermarket pads. Kept the rotors nice and clean.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I'm curious where you are finding riveted pads for a Kia Sephia?

I know I had suggested oem in reference to your first post, the OP had mentioned the Kia pads that's why I threw out I like oem, was only referencing car parts as is my background, not trailer pads.
    I can’t find any riveted sets. Auto parts store or trailer parts store. They’re all glued for the Kia pads

13. Member
    Thanks for all the help I'm going to pick up a new set of the kia pads this weekend and replace them
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

14. Member
    I had the same problem with my pads last year, all 4 wheels, I couldn't find any riveted pads?

Does anyone know the brand and Part number of the riveted Kia Sophia pads?
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I was informed that ceramic may not brake as well, i took that on a hunch that they may last longer, so i got them and they have lasted longer and brake well so im happy with the results
    Sam,
    Was there less brake dust with the ceramics? I am still on original(2019) Nitro pads and the dust is blackening (if this is even a word) the crap out of the rims these are on.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    I had the same problem with my pads last year, all 4 wheels, I couldn't find any riveted pads?

Does anyone know the brand and Part number of the riveted Kia Sophia pads?
    Not sure the brand but I got them at Advanced Auto...FYI, they also came with a wear indicator that I had to grind the rivets off of. Piece of cake.

17. Member
    ceramic pads rough on the rotors
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

18. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrebass View Post
    Sam,
    Was there less brake dust with the ceramics? I am still on original(2019) Nitro pads and the dust is blackening (if this is even a word) the crap out of the rims these are on.
    Less brake dust, yes.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Not sure the brand but I got them at Advanced Auto...FYI, they also came with a wear indicator that I had to grind the rivets off of. Piece of cake.
    I looked all around the internet and Advanced Auto, I couldn't find any RIVETED KIA Sophia PADS?

PS: If you do go to the AUTO Parts store to get the KIA pads, Make sure they have a INSIDE radius, if the inside of the pads is strait, it will hit the rotor, the inside radius must be Curved,
    Rock AUTO has alot to choose from too.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

Quote Originally Posted by Andrebass View Post
    Sam,
    Yes there is substantially less dust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast