Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Active Target 2 freezing up

HDS 12 Live / Active Target 2

Anyone else having issues with Active Target 2 intermittently freezing up and then resetting itself. I fished all day recently and would be using it and all of a sudden it would freeze up the screen go blank and about 30 seconds later start working again, this happened 4 times. It would never say No Source just freeze up. Seems like Active Target 2 is very glitchy, shouldn’t be my Lowrance HDS live it’s brand new also. Everything is up to date on software. How soon should we expect a software update to resolve this issue? Would it have anything to do with software? Any insight much appreciated!

2. Member
    I’ve read on FB about this happening alot, many complaints.

3. Member
    My original Active Target has been doing that for a long time.

4. Member
    Friend had similar issues with his AT1 and sent it back to Lowrance and got a replacement. I’d send it back. Keep us posted on the outcome.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

5. Member
    Mine and the 2 guys I fish with all have AT1, all 3 do this.
    2008 Tr 21X- 2018 250 Mercury Pro XS 4S
    2B595479

6. Member
    ON the AT1s is this happening from the first units 2 yrs ago day one of ownership or is this on brand new units recently purchased

7. Member
    My AT2 on Carbon does exactly this. All softwares up to date.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

8. Member
    Wasn't sure about starting a new thread or not - but AT2 Freezing (both of the Screen and separately the Directional ICON) are part of issues I am experiencing...

Setup 3x12 HDS LIVES (latest firmware) Networked, AT2, Ghost, G360 - Dedicated Power for all units/modules - previously used AT1 since May 2021 with little/no issues.

The main issue is related to AT2 "Loosing" bottom when the Transducer is not in the water. This can happen at startup and/or every time I pull the TM from the water. Using AT1 since May of 2021 - I had this happen only a few times and even when it did it would re-acquire the bottom within 20 seconds-1min. I know others are having this issue as well as I have seen videos and screen shots on FB/Social Media. The screen flashes - and the Transducer seems to be trying to re-acquire bottom but never does - I have waited for 15-20 mins. Work-around Solution - "Restore Defaults" OR Powering Down/Restarting AT2 box. To avoid this issue - you can enable "Stop Sonar" in the AT2 Menu BEFORE you pull the TM, then uncheck "Stop Sonar" AFTER deploying the TM (or putting Transducer back in water).

Other Issues -
    "No source" - same as everyone that has AT1 systems previously - "Restore Defaults" solution fixes it and have had to do it several times on various units. FYI - Soft and Hard Resets did NOT correct this issue only the Restore Defaults.
    AT Screen Flashes, goes blank/black randomly - sometimes it refreshes and works normally - other times it does not and a "Restore Defaults" fixes it OR powering down the AT2 Box and re-starting it.
    AT Screen Freezes (entire screen) - AT screen is locked up for a given image/display - Solution - "Restore Defaults"
    AT Directional Icon Freezes - AT functions normally but Directional ICON is locked in a single direction or slightly moves randomly - Solution - "Restore Defaults"

I have been in contact with Lowrance Tech/CS team since 2/11 (first EM on No-Source issue) - and they have been very responsive (and apologetic). They have asked for me to try various fixes (main one was run "Restore Defaults" on All Units while everything is powered up) - and I have responded with results/other findings. With a technical background/career this really seems like a miss on the UAT front - and feels very Software related. I have asked about Updates and possible Firmware Patch and gotten vague answers like ...if one is needed the engineers will create one - but no timing on when they will be finished... (?Huh?). After last weekend of testing and finding I could - avoid the bottom loss issue by "Stopping Sonar" in AT menu - I was good to wait for an update. After reporting that back yesterday Lowrance said they wanted me send in my AT2 box, then said both the Box and the Transducer (sort of PITA) - but this AM they said they are holding off on my return - due to progress on a patch/firmware update.

SO, who knows. After about 6 trips/days on the water - I will say AT2 is pretty good - I am not sure it is radically better than my AT1 setup (but clearly crazy buggy compared to what I experienced with AT1). Hindsight being 20/20 - I would not have switched yet but seems like Lowrance is working hard to the issues resolved. As a side note - after doing it about 200 times, I can now enable "Restore Defaults" and restore AT2 in record time - Ha!

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    ON the AT1s is this happening from the first units 2 yrs ago day one of ownership or is this on brand new units recently purchased
    Mine is one of the original ones and it started doing it not long after I started using it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H. View Post
    Mine is one of the original ones and it started doing it not long after I started using it.
    There was a mfg issue early on a batch when they first came out, Did you ever call Lowrance and get it replaced and fixed?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkmbjb502 View Post
    Wasn't sure about starting a new thread or not - but AT2 Freezing (both of the Screen and separately the Directional ICON) are part of issues I am experiencing...

Setup 3x12 HDS LIVES (latest firmware) Networked, AT2, Ghost, G360 - Dedicated Power for all units/modules - previously used AT1 since May 2021 with little/no issues.

The main issue is related to AT2 "Loosing" bottom when the Transducer is not in the water. This can happen at startup and/or every time I pull the TM from the water. Using AT1 since May of 2021 - I had this happen only a few times and even when it did it would re-acquire the bottom within 20 seconds-1min. I know others are having this issue as well as I have seen videos and screen shots on FB/Social Media. The screen flashes - and the Transducer seems to be trying to re-acquire bottom but never does - I have waited for 15-20 mins. Work-around Solution - "Restore Defaults" OR Powering Down/Restarting AT2 box. To avoid this issue - you can enable "Stop Sonar" in the AT2 Menu BEFORE you pull the TM, then uncheck "Stop Sonar" AFTER deploying the TM (or putting Transducer back in water).

Other Issues -
    "No source" - same as everyone that has AT1 systems previously - "Restore Defaults" solution fixes it and have had to do it several times on various units. FYI - Soft and Hard Resets did NOT correct this issue only the Restore Defaults.
    AT Screen Flashes, goes blank/black randomly - sometimes it refreshes and works normally - other times it does not and a "Restore Defaults" fixes it OR powering down the AT2 Box and re-starting it.
    AT Screen Freezes (entire screen) - AT screen is locked up for a given image/display - Solution - "Restore Defaults"
    AT Directional Icon Freezes - AT functions normally but Directional ICON is locked in a single direction or slightly moves randomly - Solution - "Restore Defaults"

I have been in contact with Lowrance Tech/CS team since 2/11 (first EM on No-Source issue) - and they have been very responsive (and apologetic). They have asked for me to try various fixes (main one was run "Restore Defaults" on All Units while everything is powered up) - and I have responded with results/other findings. With a technical background/career this really seems like a miss on the UAT front - and feels very Software related. I have asked about Updates and possible Firmware Patch and gotten vague answers like ...if one is needed the engineers will create one - but no timing on when they will be finished... (?Huh?). After last weekend of testing and finding I could - avoid the bottom loss issue by "Stopping Sonar" in AT menu - I was good to wait for an update. After reporting that back yesterday Lowrance said they wanted me send in my AT2 box, then said both the Box and the Transducer (sort of PITA) - but this AM they said they are holding off on my return - due to progress on a patch/firmware update.

SO, who knows. After about 6 trips/days on the water - I will say AT2 is pretty good - I am not sure it is radically better than my AT1 setup (but clearly crazy buggy compared to what I experienced with AT1). Hindsight being 20/20 - I would not have switched yet but seems like Lowrance is working hard to the issues resolved. As a side note - after doing it about 200 times, I can now enable "Restore Defaults" and restore AT2 in record time - Ha!

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Great insight! Thank you. A lot of time, energy and money spent on your end. If mine do this, I might be switching to Garmin in record time. I hope not as I’ve never owned another brand.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

12. Member
    thx for the detailed update. Have run Lowrance 16 yrs. new systems every 2-3. I have had very very good CS with lowrance. I own more of their equipment than any one human should (9 lives, 2 ghosts, etc). But this is a pattern I see now in the industry. Releasing products before their pro staff really test them. These problems are not rare but common (see lowrance FB page). And it sounds very software related. meaning very poor pre release testing. I know pro staff who have been with Lowrance for many years who still have not received their AT2 and pro units. Meaning prioritizing release to us vs testing with their prostaff. Lab vs real world...

I just replaced my AT1 on the bass boat which was pretty flawless (after they replaced my first transducer out of the box bad) with AT2. Ice wont be off for a while. I ran a LS2 system all season ice fishing with a shuttle and not once have I had any issues. Many many hours in sub freezing conditions and getting banged around on the ice and snowmobile. Even down to zero degrees no issues. Wanted the range and AT2 was not out.

So after reading this I am putting LS2 on my other boat. Isolated system for LS2. Lowrance being bought by a large conglomerate I suspect will not help the situation either long term. After the AT1 issues out of the gate this is not good. I will vote with my Visa card...

13. Member
    I ran "restore defaults" when I originally installed the unit. I had to even though I did not have AT1 installed this is my first FFS install.

I always hit "stop sonar" before I pull the TM and AT2 ducer out of the water. That has not stopped nor prevented the screen freezing issue.

Running "restore defaults" every time the AT2 freezes is NOT a work around nor option. A lot of settings get blown away and have to be reset. You would never get any fishing done if you restored defaults every time the AT2 screen freezes.
    Last edited by Johnnyred; 03-10-2023 at 10:25 AM.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

15. Member
    I had the same issue as everybody else, black screen, frozen screen, no source wouldn't stay locked on the bottom. After much back and forth with Lowrance and the seller (very popular marine electronics dealer) I gave up today and shipped it back for a refund. The folks at Lowrance were nice and tried to be helpful, we worked together on the water and after 5-6 factory restores, they wanted me to send in the AT2 and my HDS Live. Nope...I'm done, seller offered a refund and I accepted.

16. Member
    I am noticing that the "black screen" problem is worse when I run the modes in auto forward length and auto depth as opposed to specifying those manually. Possibly the processor getting bogged down for lack of a better term but in any case after 5-30 seconds my image always come back with me intervening.

Anyone else notice the black screen more when running all auto settings? More in one of the modes than the other(s)?

17. Member
    Just think how awesome it will be, when guys start running dual AT’s.

18. Member
    A software update is coming Lowrance is aware of this, The temp fix was the sonar defaults Till an update happens.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    A software update is coming Lowrance is aware of this, The temp fix was the sonar defaults Till an update happens.

20. Member
    I would think the issue is the AT2 is at operating system level 67 (67.2.15) and the released software for the MFD's are at 65 (65.1.18) and there are some slight communication issues. This is no different than in the past when you updated the MFD, you also had to update the hub whether it me the Active Target, 3D, Sonarhub or whichever, to keep them at the same level and talking the same language. So until the 67.x.xx comes out for the MFD's, my guess is there will be some inconsistencies with the Live, Carbon and Elite FS units, some units may appear to work okay, and others may not.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast