Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Grounding the module has nothing to do with the AT2 freezing/intermittent-blackout but it’s good common practice.

Still waiting patiently for the software update…

2. Member
    Add me to the list of the ones this is happening to.

But to be honest, I have been assuming it is a RAM issue. The elite FS units I ran last year would do the same thing if I used ghost 360 for an extended amount of time. I upgraded to HDS Live units over the winter and am experiencing the same lag and freeze with active target 2 that I recently installed. My assumption was that allot of data is being processed over the network with multiple units sharing a single map card as well as active target info.

I do not know the specs of all the units to confirm this though.

3. Member
    I’ve ran multiple different AT2 units across four different HDS Lives and three different HDS Pros trying to find a work around and every single unit combination will do it. I agree it appears to be something about the way AT2 is shared over Ethernet vs AT1. The sonar images are great but the freezing/intermittent-blackout is completely unacceptable.

Forward and down view do it much less, scout view can at times be near constant freezing.

For those “living with it” for now the best thing I’ve found is using the shortcut keys set up to switch pages to/from a page that does not contain an AT2 pane (full map, etc).

4. Member
    I doubt this will help most but I am running my AT2 to my bow Live 16. No other ethernet connected to that graph. No 2d or other sonar. Just AT2 3/4 and map 1/4 of screen. Now that I have used AT1/2 so much I really don't need any 2d on bow. Just AT2. So far no freezes. I have 2 live 12's at console and a bird 12 running m360 on bow. Probably just lucky - but have people tried isolating unit displaying AT2?

5. Member
    ... count me as still waiting.... less patiently after every trip... for Lowrance to speak up to its customers on the AT2 freezing which is obviously not a series of isolated cases.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

Absolutely cannot be hooked to the bus because that ckt. caries current back to battery. That would be worse than not installing it. Kind of like a very good antenna would collect RF. We need to get rid it, not collect it.
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-04-2023 at 09:19 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    I will concede it is *better* if isolated to only one AT2, one ethernet connection, and one HDS Pro head unit… but it does still freeze/blackout some. I still found the Live 16 did freeze/blackout a lot for me anyway. I’m not willing to run my fully Lowrance networked boat like that in any case.

It is still completely unacceptable.
    Last edited by mnmatt; 05-04-2023 at 09:51 AM.

8. Member
    I am probably jinxing myself, but I have had no issues at all with my AT2. Had it on for several hours and not one freezing issue.

I have three Live 12s and a Pro 12. My Pro 12 is at the 'end' of my ethernet daisy chain, when starting at the AT2 module. Maybe a Pro starting the ethernet chain, or somewhere in the middle, is a part of the issue?

9. Member
    Run it on scout view and see. As far as I can tell forward view doesn’t have nearly the problem. I have one AT2 system that is almost unusable in Scout view that might only freeze once or twice a day in forward. My whole point in these posts is that AT2 SHOULD NEVER FREEZE/BLACKOUT FOR ANY USER IN ANY USE CASE.

It’s just more of a PSA at this point in the event someone else shares the same problem. Seems some people are having problems and some aren’t. I’m a very very high hour Lowrance super user since the 1990’s and yes, I know my boat and installation inside and out. I’m not interested in being told to restore defaults or check wiring for the 10th time. There’s clearly more to the story that Lowrance needs to be accountable for at this point.
    Last edited by mnmatt; 05-04-2023 at 02:33 PM.

10. Member
    Guys this isn't just a problem with AT2! I have 2 new Lives at the console (use to be 2 Carbons) and they will not network or share mapping half the time. They freeze up if sharing through the network. It is a software issue. My Carbons work flawlessly when I put them back. Lowrance knows that this problems exists and says they are working on an update....but its been months!

I have AT 2 etherneted to my 9 live on the bow, the live is also connected to my bow NMEA network, no other sonar, only AT 2. It freezes up.

12. Member
    Not a computer person, but I think Kdixer may be correct when he calls this a RAM issue. Mine will work fine for a couple of hours and then begin freezing regularly, like a computer does when RAM demand becomes too great. A restart of the unit will allow it to work again, similar to clearing the RAM when dealing with a sluggish computer. Perhaps what is taking the update so long is that this is a hardware (i.e., chip) issue. Sure hope not, but it seems the new chips they used as a result of supply issues are simply substandard. Again, hope I'm wrong, but waiting this long for an update suggests to me there is a more serious problem afoot.

13. Member
    I have only Carbon units, a 9 at the bow and a 12 at the console, networked with Ethernet and NMEA, and my AT2 freezes. So the freezing issue is not limited to the processors in the Live and Pro units because my Carbon freezes, too.

14. Member
    Fished for 6 hrs with AT2 and Live Pro, froze only one time, switched to sonar screen, went back to AT, back to normal. Excellent images, no ghost, help me catch 28 bass.

15. Member
    Good point Johnnyred

16. Member
    Same/similar issues for me with AT2...after my post on this thread back in March and multiple emails back/forth with Lowrance CS they approved my return authorization. I shipped it back on 4/18 ($96 UPS), they turned it around and I got it back on 5/3. I put a small ID mark on the back of the case so they returned my AT box, not a replacement. Reinstalled and tested yesterday

ZERO change, exactly the same issues. Pretty disappointing but clearly they don't have an update and mine tested to spec (even a bad spec). I fished about 3 hrs and had to Restore Defaults 4 times...1st after testing the main issue of AT2 losing bottom when TM comes out if water even for a minute, this was my first test and it failed so Restore 1. Then the AT icon froze about 30min later, Restore 2. Then full screen freeze about 20 minutes later, Restore 3. Icon froze again right at the end of the day, Restore 4.

It is clearly NOT a fix but using Restore Defaults at least keeps me fishing and as long as I select Stop Sonar in AT menu the worst issues Loss of Bottom/Screen freeze can be mostly avoided. I may try isolating my AT unit and taking off network (that's how I ran my AT1 setup) but not terribly hopeful. Really concerned that this is beyond a firmware software update and structurally there might be something off ie: not enough processor or ram or something (as others have suggested). I am just surprised more folks aren't having issues. I am opening another ticket and voicing my displeasure but not much else to do at this point.

On the plus side during the downtime I rewired my power setup with dedicated 8ga wire and separate on off battery switch. Same setup I had on my previous rig but hadn't had issues with my current boat so hadn't changed or upgraded (it actually had 10ga runs from battery so was a pretty decent factory setup) but figured this was a good time. When AT2 is working it looks nice...maybe better than AT1 but not really worth all of the headaches to me. I did record a lot yesterday and fun rewatching FFS crappie and bass catches from the couch.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

17. Member
    Same experience I had Jonathan. Three AT1 that never once froze switching like for like to AT2 (including sending module back to Lowrance same as you) and anything AT2 related still freezes. Shut them off and the entire network is flawless. Doesn’t matter if it’s run on the new HDS Pro, more recent HDS Live, or a first-release HDS Live.

Use the shortcut buttons to toggle between favorite pages and that’s the most manageable thing I can recommend but it’s not reliable. No one should have to limp along running one off-network either (even though that didn’t fix any of mine anyway).

AT2 SHOULD NEVER FREEZE/BLACKOUT FOR ANY USER IS ANY USE CASE.

DO NOT BUY AT2 UNTIL THIS IS RESOLVED. AT1 is 95% as good with 1% of the headaches (only missing the ping synchronization).

18. Member
    Matt agreed - AT1 is so close and with the discounts on AT1...I have considered reverting until this shakes out. I traded in 2xAT1 systems to get AT2...really wishing I had kept 1 of them. Huge fail on Lowrance for a lot of users. I have told multiple folks to stick with AT1 or don't bother with AT2 until they figure things out.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins

19. Member
    I think it is important to keep this thread and it's message of AT2 problems front and center until we get clear communication and help from Lowrance. Having issues with a new product is one thing, being completely SILENT with your customers is a whole different matter and more concerning.

Those considering a purchase of a FFS setup may be best served going with Garmin Livescope or at least an AT1.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

20. Member
    John - Agreed - While FB has quite a few posts referencing these issues (and IMHO mis-diagnosing some that are AT2 related) but I am just surprised there are not MORE folks having issues. Hopefully the Lowrance "PROs"/priority users on this forum are escalating these issues up the chain.

Related - I have opened another Ticket with Lowrance CS - and referenced my previous ticket. I will report back if/when they respond.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast