no power 93 200 xp

Looking for information. I have a 93 Stratos 201 pro xl with 93 200 xp Evinrude. Previous owner owned it a year changed parts it wouldn't start cold. He said it ran fine after that. They replaced ign box and stator. I replaced choke primer it starts fine now. Took it on the river first time for me. Starts perfect idles great. Put it in gear will not accel. Boggs and dies. Starts right back up no problem just wont accel. I checked the Shift interupter switch it appears to be working. At least with a ohm meter. It's open until you puch plunger down. Looking for assistance please

2. Member
    Need to make sure the red lever on the primer you just replaced is in the correct position for normal operation. I think it should point down. If it’s in the correct position, then you need to try choking while accelerating to see if it’s starving for fuel. I would do this in a test barrel or still on the trailer backed into the water. If it’s starving for fuel, don’t run it too much. A lean motor is not getting any lubrication.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simply_M View Post
    Need to make sure the red lever on the primer you just replaced is in the correct position for normal operation. I think it should point down. If it’s in the correct position, then you need to try choking while accelerating to see if it’s starving for fuel. I would do this in a test barrel or still on the trailer backed into the water. If it’s starving for fuel, don’t run it too much. A lean motor is not getting any lubrication.
    Yes primer lever is correct. It just boggs and dies. I did not try to choke it. I'll try that. Drained all fuel and I'm going to start from scratch

4. Member
    By no means i am a mechanic but you may want to check your timing advance to make sure its not sticking. My motor would also idle fine but took 15 minutes before it would take throttle then at times would not idle down under 1200rpms. With advise from ChampioNman i checked timing advance and it was sticking.
    I used brake cleaner and would spray around the slide and work it back and forth and it finally worked free. Its best to unhook throttle cable linkage so you can work it better if it is sticking.