Daiwa KAGW761MLXS Walleye Rod? How's it compare to the bass rods? Need a new 7'6"

Looking to see if anybody has any insight on the Kage line of Walleye "dead-sticking" rods? I see they have a 7'6" ML X-fast.

Looking for a new hair jig/ deep drop shot/ light tube rod, etc.

How would this compare to the Seth Feider 7'6" Tatula Elite? The regular Tatula line, the new 2023 Elite line? Just don't know how much the graphite blend and actions differ for the Walleye dead-stick rods from the bass stuff.

Also looking at the Ark Essence 7'6" or if I can find a used Steez, Legend Elite, or Xtacy

2. Member
    The kage has a bit softer tip and a little less backbone than the feider 7'6 ags. For hair jigs I much prefer the kage to the Tatula ags, because it is softer and casts them better. The Tatula ags, imo, really excels at small swimbaits, small tubes, really anything that has just a little weight to it.

3. Member
    I have the Kage 761mlxs but have not fished the tatula, my comparison is with the Steez AGS 761MMLFS (the one) The Kage has a little stiffer tip but sensitivity is on par with the mml. I’ve only fished it a couple times but for the money it’s an absolutely awesome rod and worth adding to the arsenal.

4. Member
    How do you guys like the 761 Kage for Neko rigs & deep drop shotting? Do you find the Kage doesn't have the backbone for the small tubes and such? Thank You for the feedback!

5. Member
    Both rods are great for small tubes. I personally like a shorter rod for neko and drop shot, but action and power wise either will work just fine. If your mainly going to be throwing small tubes, Neko and drop shot, I would lean towards the Seth ags rod. If mainly hair, I'd lean kage. Hope that helps.

6. Member
    I have both the Kage and Feider rods you mentioned. Slipknobber’s observations are spot on. I originally bought the Feider rod for hair, but found the Kage was better for light hair. I do love the Feider for dropshotting and other applications which Slipknobber mentioned.

7. Member
    Awesome, thank you for the info guys! I would say that I would be doing more Neko rig/ Drop Shot than ultra light hair jig. Maybe I should hold on for the Johnston 7'6" Elite model coming out. However I have heard that the new 7'6" Johnston is more parabolic than the Feider Rod. Any other rod recommendations?

Here's my Spinning rod lineup thus far:

GLoomis Bronzeback SMR811S/SP
    Shimano Crucial 6'8" Medium Xfast Drop shot Rod
    St.Croix Legend Tournament (New 2022 style) 7'1" Medium, Fast Action

Any other recommendations?

8. Member
    Can anyone else compare this rod directly to the Steez 761MML "The One" (cork with red accents)? I'm looking for a rod for primarily throwing 1/8 oz hair jigs. I have the Steez 761MML and I'm looking for something a little softer with slightly less power overall. This rod seems to be getting some praise as a hair jig rod, but looking for a more direct comparison. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Craiger12 View Post
    Can anyone else compare this rod directly to the Steez 761MML "The One" (cork with red accents)? I'm looking for a rod for primarily throwing 1/8 oz hair jigs. I have the Steez 761MML and I'm looking for something a little softer with slightly less power overall. This rod seems to be getting some praise as a hair jig rod, but looking for a more direct comparison. Thanks.
    Craig - it is a little bit softer with a little less power overall. I can definitely feel why the 76 Kage Walleye rod is so popular for that application. The Tackle Trap has sold a bunch of them for that application, and a lot of guys like it for ned rigs, drop shots, and neko rigs too. It's an under rated rod, as is the whole Kage series especially at their price point. Feel free to PM if you have any other Kage rod questions!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Craig - it is a little bit softer with a little less power overall. I can definitely feel why the 76 Kage Walleye rod is so popular for that application. The Tackle Trap has sold a bunch of them for that application, and a lot of guys like it for ned rigs, drop shots, and neko rigs too. It's an under rated rod, as is the whole Kage series especially at their price point. Feel free to PM if you have any other Kage rod questions!
    Agree 100%. The kage has a softer tip and deeper flex than the new ags. For hair definitely go with the kage.

11. Member
    31BCD0FE-3FCE-426D-AB46-4C7812437A8A.jpeg
    Here’s a Kage 7’6” MLXS (on the left) vs a new Steez 76mmlfs (right). This pic shows how much softer the tip is on the steez. I’m not sure how anyone that has fished both of these rods could say the Kage has a softer tip or less backbone because in my opinion that’s not the case. If you’re looking to go lighter than either of these the St Croix legend elite 76mlxf is even softer than the steez but a bit quicker.
    Last edited by Rpolar; 03-19-2023 at 12:31 AM. Reason: More info

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rpolar View Post
    31BCD0FE-3FCE-426D-AB46-4C7812437A8A.jpeg
    Here’s a Kage 7’6” MLXS (on the left) vs a new Steez 76mmlfs (right). This pic shows how much softer the tip is on the steez. I’m not sure how anyone that has fished both of these rods could say the Kage has a softer tip or less backbone because in my opinion that’s not the case. If you’re looking to go lighter than either of these the St Croix legend elite 76mlxf is even softer than the steez but a bit quicker.
    That's very interesting. I appreciate you taking the time to setup that comparison. I wonder why guys feel the way they do about the Kage? Anyway, I will likely still pick up the Kage and use it more for small swimbaits and tossing my little 1/4 oz blade baits in cold water and stick with my Steez for hair jigs for now. I will likely continue to throw mostly 1/4 oz hair jigs so the Steez should be great for those.

As an aside, I see the new Chris Johnston Tatula Elite hair jig rod would likely be a good option, but I have a irrational phobia of non K-frame guides. I'm not sure why Daiwa would chose to use them on the standard Tatula and Kage rods and then not go with them on the new Tatula Elite rods. Must be a financial decision, but still doesn't make sense to me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craiger12 View Post
    As an aside, I see the new Chris Johnston Tatula Elite hair jig rod would likely be a good option, but I have a irrational phobia of non K-frame guides. I'm not sure why Daiwa would chose to use them on the standard Tatula and Kage rods and then not go with them on the new Tatula Elite rods. Must be a financial decision, but still doesn't make sense to me.
    It's a very odd decision indeed - look at the Exprides and some models of the Adrenas...all non K SIC guides too. I don't think it matters functionally but the Japanese companies seem pretty attached to the traditional guides.