Casting reel for light cranks?

Looking for a reel to throw SR05s. I tried a used Pixie, and not having good luck with it. Recommendations please? I would even consider the cheap stuff, as this will be a limited used deal. Like one month per year at best.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

2. Member
    To be honest, a # 5 Shad Rap is going to be tough to throw on almost any baitcasting rig. The Pixie is a great reel, but you really need a light & parabolic action rod to do it no matter what kind of reel you have. I would look at something like the Dobyns BFS casting rods that are designed for very light baits.

3. Member
    You're looking for a "bfs" reel. The best cheap one I've found is the Kastking Zepher for about $80 in the US...around $45 off of AliExpress. Can toss light crappie/trout baits a mile...so crankbaits should be good!

4. Member
    Daiwa Alphas can throw this weight range, as can high-end Steez CT reels. Curado BFS is an option (Aldebaran BFS for the high-end option), Kastking Kestrel (new release, more expensive) and Kastking Zephyr (older, cheaper, mentioned above) are interesting options.

Handle length might be a deciding factor for cranking, a lot of BFS reels have small handles. Aldebaran BFS is 80mm, as are the Kestrel and Zephyr. Curado BFS is 84mm, Alpha is 85mm, Steez CT is 90 (but it's a very expensive reel). Maybe buy a cheaper reel and upgrade the handle.

5. Member
    a reel mechanic recommended the curado 70 mgl to me. has anyone had any experience with this reel throwing light baits?

thanks

6. Member
    I use a daiwa tatula sv tw 103 with an aliexpress bfs spool to throw down to 1/10oz on ML rod. It'll absolutely launch a 1/4oz bait.

ETA: I feel like I've had this conversation somewhere before...

7. Member
    There are several good reels that are capable of casting small light crankbaits but only when paired with the right rods. There are quality BFS rods in all price ranges that have been discussed on this site. I like the ALX Enox Aura.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    a reel mechanic recommended the curado 70 mgl to me. has anyone had any experience with this reel throwing light baits?

thanks
    I have one on a 843 GLX. The spool is kind of heavy, but it does throw weightless senkos and flukes. A 5” senko is 3/8oz.

9. Member
    I learned to cast #5 Shad Raps with 2 of the older gold colored Carbonlites and a tuned TD-Z 105H. For me the most important component is the rod....but then I am not the caster most of the guys on here are. I once fished with a young man that used a MHF St. Croix and a Curado to cast a 1/8 oz. lure. Personally wouldn't attempt that.