Skeeter cutting out

Please Help.Ihave a2017 FX 20 LE.239 hours.after years of trouble free service in the last month. Every time on water for over a few hours get up on plane fine 1/4 mile into run starts cutting out sometimes real bad .Boat never sets hear in Florida I fish several times a week, Drained all gas new filters new plugs ,still does it .When it cuts out digital gages do not go out. It seems like it runs out of gas .Every one here is puzzled. Air in line ? Vacuum??.Please help no skeeter boat owners or Yamaha SHO people here are or have this problem.

2. Member
    i have a 2010 fx and had a similar issue, it ended up being a clog in the line on the starboard side cause if i put the switch to port it works fine. It was not the switch on the dash it seemed to be the one in the bilge area

3. Member
    I had trouble with the primer bulb. gets soft after time and colapses letting no gas go threw worth a try

4. Member
    Sounds to me like vent or vent line is possibly plugged between tank and fill cap
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

5. Member
    My 2019 zx225 did something similar. Ended up being a kinked vacuum/vent line to the tank.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

Does it just completely die all of a sudden, like the key is turned off, or does it spit and sputter?
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

7. Member
    Loosen gas cap to see if it's a vent problem. No cost to try.
    2016 ZX250

8. Member
    It still does it with gas cap not tighten down.

9. Member
    As of recently after on water for 6 hours .I can idle out for 4 minutes and then go and it will not cut out ?? Or after 6 hours set on a spot for at least a hour start boat and take off it happens every time.

10. Member
    On and off some cut outs are worse than others .

11. Member
    I am going to try running boat on a remote tank .Has anyone tried that.This 2017 only has one tank.It really seems like it is running out of gas.But could be anything. Very puzzled.

12. Member
    Very strange, please post what you find, it will help others, hopefully to be proactive and prevent whatever you find is your problem.

13. Member
    I had this same exact problem yesterday on my 2011 ZX250. Motor started fine in the AM, went about a 1/2 mile and engine just dies like I ran out of fuel. Tried starting and it would not fire up. Tried to prime the bulb and could tell no fuel was being pumped. Called my mechanic and switched the gas valve from the position that allows flow from both tanks to port and pumped which allowed fuel to flow. Cranked the motor up and ran a 1/4 mile and did the same thing. Switched to the other tank and ran fine all day. At the end of the day I switched to the other tank and it ran fine as well. Not sure if I had a clog of some sort in the fuel line or not? It’s concerning as I do not want this happening and not sure if I should replace the fuel line and primer bulb along with the tank selector valve as all are original.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbassman View Post
    I had this same exact problem yesterday on my 2011 ZX250. Motor started fine in the AM, went about a 1/2 mile and engine just dies like I ran out of fuel. Tried starting and it would not fire up. Tried to prime the bulb and could tell no fuel was being pumped. Called my mechanic and switched the gas valve from the position that allows flow from both tanks to port and pumped which allowed fuel to flow. Cranked the motor up and ran a 1/4 mile and did the same thing. Switched to the other tank and ran fine all day. At the end of the day I switched to the other tank and it ran fine as well. Not sure if I had a clog of some sort in the fuel line or not? It’s concerning as I do not want this happening and not sure if I should replace the fuel line and primer bulb along with the tank selector valve as all are original.
    12 year old fuel line and bulb I would definitely replace whether that's the problem or not. I replaced all of mine (2002 boat) 3 years ago. It's very easy and inexpensive. Buy a GOOD bulb (Yamaha, Merc, OMC). With the lines off you can blow out the selector valve to check it. I also pulled the line out of tanks to check the pickup screen. It was fine after 20 years. Also, blow out the vent line(s) to be sure they're not plugged or kinked. Mud-daubers are common problem with them. Good luck...
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

15. Member
    So yesterday ran boat on remote gas tank no cut outs .I am going to run boat a few more times on remote tank .And if it don't cut out .Then will tear into gas tank .Does anyone have schematics of gas and fuel lines on this exact model. 2017 FX 20 LE.And how to get into gas tank and lines?

16. Member
    there should be a removeable panel that goes all the way across that should allow you to reach all fittings relating to supply lines and vent

17. Member
    Well after trying to run boat on remote tank I was unable to do it ,only had 5 gallon tank and it was just to dangerous trying to hold down tank and run boat seems like boat would go thru fuel fast then tank wanted to fly out of boat .Going to need a better set up because boat cut out once but not 100 % sure if it was boat or low fuel in small tank .This is driving me crazy.Have alot of people trying to help me .And still can't get boat in shop they are all booked up.

18. Member
    Is there a way to blow tank lines out and vent lines without taking boat decking out?

19. Member
    Boat went in to shop they found nothing. So as of now after being on water for 6 hours or more just idle out for a few minutes and then go never happens .I might look at gas tank and lines .

20. Member
    So the final word is I can run boat all day normally. THEN AFTER 6 HOURS JUST HAVE TO IDEL OUT 3 MINUTES THEN GO .No cut outs since I have been doing this.