RPM/Trim combo and digital trim

Recent RPM guage thread reminded me I have been wanting to sort this out... I have a Skeeter (Faria) combo RPM/Trim guage. I converted to Digital Trim by removing the "pink" wire (which was actually more purple) from the back of the guage, along with the appropriate changes on the motor side. This worked great for the trim part, and got my trim showing up via NEMA to my HU's. But, I also lost the RPM part of the guage as well.

So, I am just not sure if I pulled the wrong wire off the back of the combo guage? I was under the impression I could disconnect the "trim part" only and still have RPM's working on the guage.

Bringing this back up for any insight...

3. Member
    What model Yamaha motor?

The tachometer signal wire (green) and the trim sender wire (pink) are completely separate.

The gauge appears to use a six pin connector into the back of it. Does yours? Should be key on positive power, a ground, a tachometer signal, a trim signal and power for an internal light.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out which wire goes to which pin.

yep, IIRC it was a 6 pin connector - I pulled the "pink-ish" wire (it was actually more of a purple, but was the only wire that was close to pink). But since I lost both trim and rpm, I suspect it may have been the wrong wire. Maybe it was a faded key on power wire, that would make sense as to losing both (if that wire would be red originally).

5. Member
    I will go to the Skeeter forum here and see if anyone can give us the wire colours that Skeeter used.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    yep, IIRC it was a 6 pin connector - I pulled the "pink-ish" wire (it was actually more of a purple, but was the only wire that was close to pink). But since I lost both trim and rpm, I suspect it may have been the wrong wire. Maybe it was a faded key on power wire, that would make sense as to losing both (if that wire would be red originally).
    So, boat was at shop today for unrelated stuff, I asked them to look at the rpm/trim guage, and as I suspected I had removed the power wire, which was more of a faded red (so not pink :) I guess. So they hooked it back up for me as they were under there wiring up my blinker trim levers.

I mentioned I had switched to digital trim and was told I needed to disconnect the trim guage, but they said as long as I swapped the wires at the motor it wouldn't matter (which is counter to what has been stated here). Anyway, as suspected, now my digital trim guage reads 124% again, but my RPM and analog trim guage do work now lol.

I guess I need to figure out what dang wire to pull off the combo guage withougt breaking the rpm side... or just go back to strait up analog trim guage maybe.

Got it sorted, based on info in the other thread round that I needed to disconnect the white/brown stripe (or maybe brown/white stripe lol) wire. I had missed it before as it was under the guage mounting bracket so I just didn't see it. Anyway, once pulled digital trim back to working as expect, and rest of gauge still has power. Will confirm on the water this weekend, but I think this is finally sorted out...