Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member

she is fast though…I’ve ruined 3 pairs of “draws” trying to learn the drive through the chine fear…

I have found it much easier these days to just put on a pair of Depends when I am trying to get her closer to the edge. Makes the clean-up alot easier
    Last edited by AUTimbo; 03-08-2023 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Grammer

2. Member
    LOL….#justsendit….in Depends…

I’m going hard here on Lake Palestine in the morning with lil extra padding!

3. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    I know what you’re dealing with. Trim it down and get the boat running flatter.
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

4. Member
    Do you have a jack plate? What brand if you do. My 2018 Eyra had an Atlas hydro and would hop with a slight to moderate chop on the lake. It was very spongy. Next time you take it out look back and check to see what you motor is doing. If it is bouncing more than you would expect it could be your jack plate.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

5. Member
    Thanks Elwood (as well as all others whom have chimed in)

I had just tightened all jackplate /mounting bolts and nothing seemed to be excessively loose. Half turn here and there at most.
    Maybe just getting a touch high on the trim is the culprit. I would hate to think the Fury is already needing some tweaking as I barely have 80 hrs on the boat/motor from factory. Have considered getting a Bravo xs to try and have as a backup but have really been trying to work on driving her faster WITH control. Have half filled livewells to help with my learning curve of driving her, which does make things easier, but still have a ways to go.

This may be a stupid question but I was curious if a lake absolutely COVERED in pollen should affect the way a high perf boat drives/runs or not. Just wondering because lake was solid yellow from pollen that last couple times out.

6. Member
    I’m trying to understand what is happening? Hopping?
    Is the boat loping?
    Front end falls and lifts. Then drops again?

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

7. Member
    All 3 of my Cats have done this from time to time. 2001 Pantera Classic, 2014 Eyra, 2018 Eyra.

I have found it to occur most often when loaded heavily and my Prop is worn some. Seems to be a case of losing some bite and that is allowing the boat to drop the nose and grab and when this is repeated it turns into sort of a High speed porpoise. My usual fix is to lower my motor (hydraulic plate) and It is usually an indication that I need to get my prop freshened up.

I also seem to have noticed it happening more on slick calm water than on water with some chop. My assumption is that the slick conditions don't allow the hull to lift quite as much due to more water drag and seems to exagerate the issue more than when there is a little chop where the hull can lift a little more freely without as much trim due to the "broken" water surface resulting in less drag on the hull.

Trimming down will stop it but of course will cause the speed to drop as well. Try lowering the motor if you have that option and as said above, It may be time for your prop to be cleaned up so it isn't losing bit any more.

I'm obviously no expert on Hydrodynamic drag but this has been my experience in 23 years of Cat operation.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    All 3 of my Cats have done this from time to time. 2001 Pantera Classic, 2014 Eyra, 2018 Eyra.

I have found it to occur most often when loaded heavily and my Prop is worn some. Seems to be a case of losing some bite and that is allowing the boat to drop the nose and grab and when this is repeated it turns into sort of a High speed porpoise. My usual fix is to lower my motor (hydraulic plate) and It is usually an indication that I need to get my prop freshened up.

I also seem to have noticed it happening more on slick calm water than on water with some chop. My assumption is that the slick conditions don't allow the hull to lift quite as much due to more water drag and seems to exagerate the issue more than when there is a little chop where the hull can lift a little more freely without as much trim due to the "broken" water surface resulting in less drag on the hull.

Trimming down will stop it but of course will cause the speed to drop as well. Try lowering the motor if you have that option and as said above, It may be time for your prop to be cleaned up so it isn't losing bit any more.

I'm obviously no expert on Hydrodynamic drag but this has been my experience in 23 years of Cat operation.

What he said.

Do study the Randy Vance video as added in our previous company comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Do study the Randy Vance video as added in our previous company comment.

Many could learn from this, thank you for sharing.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post

Thanks Chris and BCB

Going out Friday so will be a bit slower on the trim. Possibly the answer but will know if it happens again pretty quickly. Sounds like a slight drop on the manual jackplate will be the answer if the issue persists.

What would you guys recommend…. 1/4” to start or possibly more than that?

1/4” increments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12