Jig tying vise recommendations

Not sure if I'm going to start doing this in the next month or two or if I'm going to wait until next fall/winter, but I'm thinking about starting to pour some lead and make some jigs. Not looking to do this as a business, just for myself. Looking at tying vises and I'm clueless what to look for and what a good vise will be pricewise (bang for the buck)? I see really cheap ones for $15 or so and then I see some costing hundreds of dollars. Can anyone recommend a vise that works well and is durable? Also, please let me know if there are certain things I need to make sure to look for in a vise. Thank you.

2. Member
    There's a rotary vise thread just a few threads down that had some good recommendations. I recently got a Peak which was around $200 after using a cheap one for years but I had Cabelas points and gift cards and that was what they had. Made things a lot easier, big step up. People also mentioned the Griffin Spider which you can get for around $100 as being very good.

Rotary vise makes things better. I also prefer the ones that clamp to the table because I pull on the real rubber skirt material as I cut it to separate the strands and it'll stay in place as opposed to one that's just on a stand.

3. Member
    Thanks for the information and advise. I'll check out the other thread.

4. Member
    Depends on material use, the garage vise will work fine for simpler builds like hair jigs, intricate flies and jig patterns need a good vise.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    If you are making bass jigs a 4” bench vice will work fine. That is all I use. I have a rotary but only use it for maribou, buck tail or craft hair jigs.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    That's the one I have but I have the clamp on model

Really just need a cheap one. I would get a rotary in some way.

9. Member
    Basically this will be for swim jigs, arky-style casting/pitching jigs, and football head jigs. Generally would be a 3/0 or 4/0 hook with an occasional 5/0. I'd like to use some round living rubber and eventually try mixing in some bucktail and other things (besides typical silicone skirting material). I don't need anything for tiny intricate work, just something that is going to firmly hold a bass jig and be durable enough to hold up to the pulling that you do when cutting the living rubber skirts.

10. Scraps
    Search "That Guy Skimpy" on YT. Has some good skirt tying vids and some decent tools.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Basically this will be for swim jigs, arky-style casting/pitching jigs, and football head jigs. Generally would be a 3/0 or 4/0 hook with an occasional 5/0. I'd like to use some round living rubber and eventually try mixing in some bucktail and other things (besides typical silicone skirting material). I don't need anything for tiny intricate work, just something that is going to firmly hold a bass jig and be durable enough to hold up to the pulling that you do when cutting the living rubber skirts.
    A rotary will be a pita for living rubber. Just get a 4 inch bench vice some floral wire and wire twisting pliers. You can tie any of those jigs easier than with a rotary and at a fraction of the cost.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jig_Man; 03-07-2023 at 04:12 PM.

12. Member
    I built this one about 10 years ago. Have probably tied a thousand jigs and skirts on it. Only thing I would do different is make it rotating.E5946604-A9BD-4171-98BD-935BA2638175.jpegFC2C5A4C-8382-4030-BA8B-D66FB5BF4414.jpeg

13. Banned
    How's it holding up?
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    That's the one I have but I have the clamp on model

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    A rotary will be a pita for living rubber. Just get a 4 inch bench vice some floral wire and wire twisting pliers. You can tie any of those jigs easier than with a rotary and at a fraction of the cost.
    I use a suction cup one like this from Harbor Freight.

Allen