2022 zxr21 prop recommendation

My 2022 zxr21 ran low 70s when I first got it. The only difference is that I changed out to lithium batteries. Now running 64 tournament ready 2 people. I can get to 70 by myself and low fuel, but thats not what I bought. Do i need a different prop? do I need mine worked? Or do I need to buy a different boat. Love my bug, but cant stand looking at the ass end of a ranger
    Eric Davis
    Skeeter Man

2. Member
    would probably help if you move some stuff around and get some weight back in the back of the boat

3. Member
    I don’t know if there is a specific answer for your exact boat on the forums. What I can tell you as someone who reads here way too much I’d say most guys that lose speed end up re propping to get it back. Hopefully you will get more a more useful answer than that, but I would plan on getting a new one if you want your speed back.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

Derek Hudnall mentioned re-propping his Skeeter after adding Lithiums, but really didn't go into much detail about it unfortunately. Essentially lighter ass means lower bow, so possibly more lift required all other things being equal? But, supposedly newer hull designs are supposed to take the lighter lithiums into account?

That being said, I moved to all lithiums, pulled out 4 AGM's, a 31 and 3 27's and did not see any speed loss. But my ZX is slower than most in T mode generally (before and after battery change) for some reason I have yet to work out - I can only get about 65-66 out of it on her best day. Dual Poles, braced brackets, boarding ladder, etc all adds up. Plus duals on the bow plus a pole mount, just more weight :(. That and the tackle store I carry around doesn't help lol.

Can't tell you how many times I've heard of people losing speed after going to Lithiums.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric201pxl View Post
    My 2022 zxr21 ran low 70s when I first got it. The only difference is that I changed out to lithium batteries. Now running 64 tournament ready 2 people. I can get to 70 by myself and low fuel, but thats not what I bought. Do i need a different prop? do I need mine worked? Or do I need to buy a different boat. Love my bug, but cant stand looking at the ass end of a ranger
    what where your RPM's before and after Lithium's?

7. Member
    Trying different props might help, but when all said and done the hull was designed to use the weight in the back end to create bow lift, so best course of action is to transfer weight to the back. I'm going to be breaking in my 5th "R" hull next week. All have been 75 mph alone boats. This however will be the first that to have lithium. I added lithium's for the obvious battery life and sustained power, but also did it to see if I can solve the set-up issues they are causing.

8. Member
    One answer is to Lower the engine to get some bow lift back. Also extra cup can help lift and carry the bow. I will be swapping over from AGM/Lead Acids to Lithium's this season so I will be playing with my set up soon. It will be about 139 lbs lighter with Lithium's.

Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    One answer is to Lower the engine to get some bow lift back. Also extra cup can help lift and carry the bow. I will be swapping over from AGM/Lead Acids to Lithium's this season so I will be playing with my set up soon. It will be about 139 lbs lighter with Lithium's.
    I've read this before, and plan to do it to my setup - I'm at 9 dots, set by previous owner but based on the common thought process of higher/more dots to gain speed, but now with Lithiums it might actually be working against me. Only reason I haven't done it yet is for one will have to loosen all the PP and L&L ladder etc bracketry to make the adjustments, which is kind of a pain solo (although much easier now that I have the Hydrilla Gear flip brackets, which actually allow you to completely remove the poles quickly/tool-less and just lay them on the deck) but mostly b/c there is a strong chance I will switch from the SlideMaster to a Bob's Action Jack in March anyway, so no point in messing with it now if I'm going to do that. But if that falls through, then I'll be droppping my SlideMaster back to 7 dots which is the common "starting point" for most SM equipped Skeeters.

10. Member
    I just got my '23 zxr20 done with break in.... was running 73.9 with AGM batteries... Swapped the 3 trolling batteries for ionic lithiums and left the AGM cranker in it and it hits 74.2 pretty consistently... But I keep ALL my heavy gear in the back passenger box... Only thing in the front center compartment is crankbaits, jerkbaits, etc. And only thing in the right side rod locker is life jackets and throw cushion. I have not played with moving things around from this set up from the beginning but as mentioned above, I would start with getting all heavy gear as far back as possible and see what happens.

11. Member
    This is such an interesting topic with so many variables. I am running all wet cells that came in my boat from dealership. I’m planning on replacing with lithium once they die. I will say this my best runs speed wise were when I was full of fuel. Once I hit 10 hours I went to the river to really make a long wide open run. I hit 75.9 that morning. I typically only keep about 1/2 tank of fuel on board and throw 5-10 gallons in every time I go to always add some fresh. I’m going to fill it this spring and see if I can get above 72.

12. Member
    Ken Smith's most recent video with having a discussion with Nick from Mercury racing discusses some of these issues. He says you actually need to raise engine height to get same bow lift, also a shorter barreled prop and one with no flare will help reduce stern lift. A Bravo FS or tempest prop was kind of a general recommendation.

I know my Skeeter FXR 21 I have 3 wet and 1 agm and full wells I hit 71.4. I have 15" HB with mega 360 and 10" garmin and livescope on bow dual console. Hydraulic plate on 7 with stock 25 T-2 prop. Been thinking of tempest or bravo to have more bow control at low RPMs. Also you can really feel it come alive from 90-97% trim.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    boarding ladder,

Please tell me about the boarding ladder. I've got 2 Talons on my 2022 ZX225 and had to remove the E Ladder

Quote Originally Posted by Roper56 View Post
    Please tell me about the boarding ladder. I've got 2 Talons on my 2022 ZX225 and had to remove the E Ladder
    I have Poles, R&R makes an extension plate that bolts to the PP mounting bracket... not sure if they have a solution for the Talons though.

The one shown in this vid is "verson 1" for lack of a better term... they also have a "version 2" which is for the newer 2.0 blades, its a bit different/shorter to allow access to the screws in the PP 2.0 bracket covers. I bought mine from Andy at Drewcraft, he may nore more about a Talon option.