Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WHAT'S THE SKEETER OWNERS THINK ABOUT THE LEASH

So what have the skeeter owners think about the Leash , Good thing or bad on our Yamaha motors .

2. Member
    i dont think it has any thing to do with what motor but weather you want it for safety or not

3. Member
    Yeah I really don’t have an opinion on it. I don’t have one and I doubt I would buy one. I’m not confident enough it would work to spend my money on it. But that’s a feeling, I have no way to validate that with proof or science.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    Yeah I really don’t have an opinion on it. I don’t have one and I doubt I would buy one. I’m not confident enough it would work to spend my money on it. But that’s a feeling, I have no way to validate that with proof or science.

Same.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I have the same opinion, have not see in action or heard of anyone saying it helped. Best thing is just use common sense, I know there could be a random log floating in the middle of the lake you could hit. Just what I read most of these happened in shallow water areas which you should not be going fast, and 40 mph is fast in shallow water
    2021 Skeeter ZXR21 Yamaha SHO 250
    1993 Ranger 372 Mercury 150 XR6

6. Member
    I feel like I drive quite safe and not very often fast. If something ever happens and I get killed then it must have just been my time. I feel I literally do so many other things more likely to actually kill or severely injure me.

I would imagine someone like Mark or other tourney guys would/could use something if it was a concern of theirs. They have to run fast and are usually on strange water. Or at least not as familiar as most of us are with the “local” lakes. I could see if something they felt made them safer come out, or feel this leash works I would certianly not blame them or judge them for wanting to feel safer. I really don’t think there is a wrong answer. Don’t tell anyone though that I haven’t picked a side, I’d be ran off and insulted lol.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

I have one, recently installed (before the recent incident that everyone is talking about). For $250, imo it's a worthwhile spend, considering so much of the water I frequent is stumpy/wooded/etc. And I fish solo 99% of the time, it's just more peace of mind. I know there are detractors, and they have valid points. But if there's a chance it will help avoid/reduce a chance of injury, etc to me it's a worthwhile spend.

I would never discourage anyone from buying one. I just personally don't see me buying one anytime soon. I just evaluated my own thoughts about and made my decision in that regard

9. Member
    I just bought a new Skeeter and the dealer told me they don't carry them and haven't ever installed one when I asked them to add it to my order. For that reason I'm going to pass on it. This is a large dealer in Texas FWIW that rigs a lot of pro boats.

10. Member
    I’m currently shopping for my next bass boat skeeter is on the list and I mostly certainly will have one ordered as soon as I buy a boat if it increases the safety of me or my son not getting hurt even a little it’s worth it.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

call me stupid but i will gamble 300 bucks on something that MAY save my life
    p.s 300 dollars is what it cost me to fill up my truck and boat last june to fish the skeeter owners so its not to much for something that may save your life so until i see a video or pics of the leash failing i will go with it
    Last edited by skeeter21i; 03-09-2023 at 08:41 PM.

12. Member
    I don’t have to see a video of it failing, but I’d like to see a video of it WORKING. Call ME stupid, but I don’t see how 2 bolts will hold a motor if the motor is hit with enough force to shear the jackplate and/or motor bracket.

The running prop is what needs to be stopped (that’s what causes the injuries). You’d think motor companies could rig up some kind of cutoff device, like the kill switch.

13. Member
    Why is there no testing data on this product? Surely, they could rig up a remote controlled boat and hit a log... Idk, I just don't think it or mounting is strong enough.

one thing you know for sure is what happens without it

15. Member
    Don't have one but want one after seeing the aftermath of the accident on the lake in Tennessee. Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter21i View Post
    one thing you know for sure is what happens without it

Actually, the possibility of the motor becoming detached and climbing in the boat after a hard impact is real, but RARE.

17. Member
    Well I seen the accident without it THE LEASH o wow always worried about that , But wish and for others it a sure thing or almost a a sure thing , When I run across lakes I watch out but still have the fear , But If I had one on the Motor thinking I'm safe I wouldn't be so careful and might get hurt not knowing if it would protect me and partner Well if you know what I'm trying to say , Be safe out there guys .

18. Member
    it goes to show how much money there is in selling fishing equipment that folks can put a cable together charge close to 3 bills for it without any real world testing or guarantees that it might save your life. seem like carrying a plug kit for tires in your truck in case of a blowout.

i bet if you buy one and you still end up with your motor in your lap they will give you a full 275 dollar refund not sure on the shipping if they will refund it or not so you may still be out 25 dollars

20. Member
    I wonder how many people buy a Leash, but don't wear a life jacket, or use the kill switch.

Just sayin' .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast