.17 HMR and Coyote

Picked this rifle up a few years back as it is supposed to be pretty awesome for what it is. I have read that people have killed coyote out to 200 yards with it. Anyone have any experience at those ranges and using on coyote in general?

2. Member
    I am sure it can be done, but much better options out there. Biggest I have shot with mine is fox and coon.

Better options but it will do the job at 100 for sure. Over that is stretching it, would need perfect shot placement. I'm no good anymore at long ranges so I just use a .223
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by 61Woody View Post
    Better options but it will do the job at 100 for sure. Over that is stretching it, would need perfect shot placement. I'm no good anymore at long ranges so I just use a .223
    I have a 5.56 rifle but thought it would be a little more of a challenge with the .17HMR round. I figured with a call I could get them within 100 yards for a decent shot.

5. Member
    .17's are definitely useable on coyotes, it is what I used for a long time. Given, I haven't done any coyote hunting in a while. But I slowly migrated to other calibers as well.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

6. Member
    For that range I like a.204!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno 615 View Post
    .17's are definitely useable on coyotes, it is what I used for a long time. Given, I haven't done any coyote hunting in a while. But I slowly migrated to other calibers as well.
    You were taking body shots? Did you lose any?

Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    I have a 5.56 rifle but thought it would be a little more of a challenge with the .17HMR round. I figured with a call I could get them within 100 yards for a decent shot.
    What do you mean by challenge? To see how small of a caliber you can use? If you want the up close and personal challenge, I'd suggest a bow. Otherwise, stick with a caliber that has enough horsepower to take eastern coyote humanely. I don't own a .17 HMR but I'm not convinced of their stopping power. I've shot them between eyes with a .22 LR (stingers) but I'd never take a body shot with a .22 LR. I did take my .22 mag out a few times and it simply wasn't enough to drop them reliably even well inside 100 yds. There was no blood trail to speak of so without snow, I didn't get the pelts.

A bunch of Utubers have done gel block comparisons between the .17 and the .22 mag. None have convinced me that the .17 is much (if any) better than .22 mag for something the size of a yote.

Your 5.56, a .243, .22 Hornet or even 6.5 CM are all better choices IMO. I use my 7-08 with 120 gr HP and it anchors them pretty good. One entrance, no exit.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Otherwise, stick with a caliber that has enough horsepower to take eastern coyote humanely.
    This should be any hunters first priority. We take enough crap from anti-gunners, tree huggers & PETA. Don’t need to give them more to rant & rally about.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
    This should be any hunters first priority. We take enough crap from anti-gunners, tree huggers & PETA. Don’t need to give them more to rant & rally about.
    Well said.

17 wsm has killed the wiley coyote for me. Not tried with the hmr but as mentioned above, better choices. I think 50 and in would be a better distance for the hmr.

11. Member
    Any firearm in trained hands can be deadly. I have 3 17 hmr's....all bolt action bull barrel. 100 yards on a coyote is very reasonable with a good shot. All mine will shoot 1/4" groups at 100 yards off a bench. I shoot snapping turtles in the pond all the time at 50-75 yards with one. I witnessed a 17hmr take down a whitetail right where it stood and that was 35 yards.

12. Member
    Every HMR I every got to shoot was a great shooter. With that being said with the 22mag/17HMR ammo cost and availability situation I would not even consider one when I can handload 223 cheaper.

With that said that factory Hornady 17 ammunition is the best factory ammo I have ever seen.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
    Agreed. I have a .17HMR and it's an awesome critter gun for around the acreage. So much more accurate and harder hitting than a .22. It's just devastating on squirrels and the like. But I would not take it 'yote hunting. Too much risk of wounding, IMO, especially at 200 yards.
    John