Need New Lower Unit - Fast Strike J150GLED

I have a 1996 Johnson Fast Strike J150GLED that I recently put on on my boat. 1st trip out this weekend and the lower unit went out on it. Looks like rebuilding will cost around the same as buying a new one. I have looked around the net, but any recommendations on places to buy new lower unit that was a good experience.

Thanks,

2. Member
    Look to SEI lower units. https://www.marineengine.com/

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    To add to Bighare you can purchase directly from them they also sell a nice tool to remove the upper drive shaft. Order a h2o pump kit as well. You get a bare bones case so you need to move your shift rod and drive shaft and anode along with trim tab over to the new one set your shift rod height. I have installed a few with good results just need to break them in to their process, out of the ones that I have installed I have had one failure that was covered due to an impact with a rock pile.

4. Member
    Thanks Bighare and Champ,
    I picked up a SEI lower and the shaft removal tool. Will be here next week. Thanks for the advise. Kinda sucks bought the motor from someone in November. Everything checked out on the stand compression was great, cranked fist time from cold and even did a pressure test on the lower. 1st trip out and the lower goes out. O well breaking out another thousand.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Wouldn't happen to be from PowerStoc marine would it?

6. Member
    No sir, it is coming from a shop in California.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Wouldn't happen to be from PowerStoc marine would it?

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    good deal

8. Member
    So I received the lower unit, but it was damaged during shipping. The top lip on the cavitation plate broke off. See below for an image of the damage. I can send it back for a refund or can keep it and the seller will do a partial refund. I need to get my boat going and am considering to keep it and just have it repaired. Question is, is this damage something that would be cause for concern for the rest of the lower. I have the piece that broke as it was in the box.

lower.jpg

9. Member
    This is a very common experience during the shipping process. You could blend with a die grinder to streamline the break or leave it as is with no harm.