Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Noco is what I have, 125 is starting my 300xs with zero issues
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

I had the TSP, but when I switched to Lithiums (3x50ah) I removed it, as a 50ah really wasn't up to par for jumping a big cranking battery.

I considered adding the Emergency Starter Andy linked, but it was OOS when I bought my Ionics, and I already had a jump box (the Audew 1500AMP that everyone was buying on sale a while back) so just keep it in the boat. I also have a Noco in the truck. If I didn't already have a Jump Box, I would likely grab the Emergency Starter as it's right there on the battery and more convienient. In fact, I may still :) just need to figure out moutning, ie if/how it might interfere with the tiedown strap.

But the reality is, I have never even come close to killing my 125ah Ionic lol...

3. Member
    I've got a NOCO GB40 I keep in my boat. I used it a few times before I went to a lithium cranking battery. Haven't needed it since then. I've also jumped of a couple stranded boaters on the lake.

If your starting lithium battery fails (BMS) and it's fully charged. Will a Noco type jump pack start the engine? In other words can a bad BMS interrupt a jump pack start and engine operation getting back to the dock?

5. Member
    Good question above which I can't answer. I've also wondered the same thing. Maybe you could disconnect the engine wires from the battery and hook the Noco directly to them? I'm now thinking I will get a GB75 as we have a fifth wheel we pull with an F350 diesel which is also my boat tow vehicle. It could serve double duty.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 520runner View Post
    If your starting lithium battery fails (BMS) and it's fully charged. Will a Noco type jump pack start the engine? In other words can a bad BMS interrupt a jump pack start and engine operation getting back to the dock?
    The BMS will have no effect on the power supplied by the jump pack. But a jump pack is not intended to crank an engine on its own. It’s a crutch for a depleted battery. Maybe if the engine is warm and conditions are right it could work. If a battery that size could reliably start an engine, you’d use it for a cranking battery.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    I watched a video a few years ago. A used car dealer jumps several cars in a row in 0 degree weather with the same jump pack. I have started my suburban with a stone dead battery.(8 volts) Certainly no help from that battery. Did not even get chattering from the solenoid. Not sure about a missing battery but I think it would start. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Powerhouse lithium cranker with built in emergency start button.
    https://www.kandkkustomz.com/product...5&_ss=e&_v=1.0

9. Member
    I have 3-50 ionic for 36 volt trolling motor and 1 -125 ah ionic for starting my 2013 Mercury 175 ProXS. Andy from Drewcraft did get me my batters and a Stealth 1 charger while you run. I have a noco jump
    start box also. But I did call Ionic on this and was told if 125 ah was low and would not start my Mercury that I could connect cables to one 12 volt 50 ah and allow it to sit for a while to charge my cranking battery if the 50 ah had enough power. After 6 month of using ionic lithium I could not be happier! I have fished a couple of 12 hours days and not saw Trolling motor batters below 75% and 125ah cranking battery below 55%. Cranking is running Garmin live scope, 2 lowrance HDS5, HB helix 10 with 360 mega live and live well pumps and lights. This day very little running during day with main outboard motor. Increased Triton TR 186 with 175 proXS 2 stroke speed by 3 MPH.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    This is Correct

@DREWTICK .... Can the TSP jump switch be used with Lead Acid troller group 29 to a 125ah Ionic Lithi? I'm guessing it can because it's completely switching the battery it's jumping off of. Just confirming.
    Last edited by dstep0; 03-13-2023 at 12:57 PM.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    When I talked to Ionics, they said that the Tournament Saver Pro (jump switch) you are referring to would work with the 100ah trolling to 125ah cranking Lithium's. I still carry a GB40 just in case.
    I have the Tournament Saver Pro and run Millertech lithium batteries and after reading this thread this week, I tried starting mine over the weekend using the Tournament Saver Pro and was able to crank a 225 SHO without any issues.
    2018 Skeeter ZX225
    2018 Yamaha 225 SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    if you want a permanent onboard solution this work great https://drewcraft.com/product/emergency-start/

but for something portabe you can use to jump start a friends boat also I recommend a NOCO GB-50, the GB-40 will work but may struggle on a ProXS 2 stroke
    both have the emergency override button so it will work with a sleeping lithium
    Drew...so can a NOKO GB-40 be used to jump start a Ionic 125ah battery if necessary?

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I watched a video a few years ago. A used car dealer jumps several cars in a row in 0 degree weather with the same jump pack. I have started my suburban with a stone dead battery.(8 volts) Certainly no help from that battery. Did not even get chattering from the solenoid. Not sure about a missing battery but I think it would start. JMO Bob
    If the tiny, tiny, tiny battery in a jump pack can reliably give you multiple starts, why do people use batteries with 30 or 40 times the capacity as cranking batteries? A jump starter battery is typically 3 or 4 AH.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

14. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skincheese View Post
    Drew...so can a NOKO GB-40 be used to jump start a Ionic 125ah battery if necessary?
    if you ever need to jump start a IONIC 125ah more then likely the Battery is dead and in sleep mode because it will start a 250 at 20%

so to answer your question yes the GB40 has a safety override button , if you press that and hold a couple seconds it will energize the cables waking up the battery and allowing jump start to crank motor
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

15. Member
    Drew I just ordered the 125am cranking battery from you. Would it be any problem using my 7 year old relion 100 in parallel, would that give my more capacity?

16. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash2 View Post
    Drew I just ordered the 125am cranking battery from you. Would it be any problem using my 7 year old relion 100 in parallel, would that give my more capacity?
    its fine to run the parallel , if you are using one charger bank you need to criss cross the charger leads , pos on one battery and neg on the other
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

17. Member
    Ok thanks did not think about that.

18. Member
    I was researching this topic once I switched over to Lithium’s. Most of the jump packs I looked at states in the fine print “for use with 12v lead acid batteries only”. I couldn’t find one that mentioned it was safe for lithiums. Not sure if that matters, but hopefully a lithium sponsor can weigh in on this.

19. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markallan27 View Post
    I was researching this topic once I switched over to Lithium’s. Most of the jump packs I looked at states in the fine print “for use with 12v lead acid batteries only”. I couldn’t find one that mentioned it was safe for lithiums. Not sure if that matters, but hopefully a lithium sponsor can weigh in on this.
    that will usually be determined by the Lithium Battery Manufacture but most quality Starting batteries will be fine with any jump start but they must have a safety override to wake the battery
    info@drewcraft.com

20. Member
    With the jump packs you have to have one that will force current if the lithium goes to sleep. Some jump packs need to see voltage to work and a battery that is asleep will not show enough voltage. I don’t think the Audew (at least the one I have for the vehicle) has that capability but others do including Noco and the Hulkman that I use for the boat.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast