175 Fast Strike Wont Run

Bought an old ‘92 stratos with a 175 Fast Strike and I’ve had it out twice. VRO was deleted by previous owner. First time it ran fine. Yesterday it started up fine and I let it warm up while I rigged a couple rods. Took off up lake and it ran fine for about 3 min and then cut out. I can turn the ignition and it will start and run ONLY for as long as I hold the key in the start position. If I release it to “ON” it will cut off. My initial thought was s loose wire on the back of the ignition switch or the switch itself. I’m going to order a new ignition but thought I’d put it here and see if there is something else I should look at/for.

2. Member
    Yes to a possible failed ignition switch.
    you will find the parts numbers here in the outboard accessories electrical section. https://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=...7-4f28b0b531c6
    Last edited by Bighare2; 03-06-2023 at 06:58 AM.

3. Member
    Could possibly be a bad power coil on the stator. CDI electronics has some troubleshooting tips that explains how to check it out.

4. Member
    Update**

Installed a new ignition switch and it’s fixed. Thanks!

5. Member
    New Update

Fished today and it fired right up and I let it warm. Took off to the first spot and it ran great. Turned it off and fished for about 45 min. Went to move and it wouldn’t now turn on. Would crank and would fire up but would not stay on, just the same it did the first time. Used the trolling motor to get back to the ramp (barely) and once I got to the ramp (about 5hr) it cut right on, ran for about 10 sec and died. Wouldn’t turn back on. Definitely has spark as it will fire, just won’t stay. I’m guessing it’s power pack or coils. Some have said stator but I don’t know.

6. Member
    Or maybe optical sensor?

7. Member
    It’s frustrating. So many things it could be that I just don’t know. I know a guy who was pulling his hair out and found ball of spiderweb randomly effecting optical sensor. Good luck to you brother. Intermittent problems are the worst.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

8. Member
    Keeps running while the starter is engaged and quits when the key is released to the on position?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simply_M View Post
    Keeps running while the starter is engaged and quits when the key is released to the on position?
    it will fire, and will rev up if I turn it on with the throttle advanced a little bit, but it will die with the switch in both the ignition or on position. Like a sensor or something isn’t allowing it to remain on.

10. Member
    Unfortunately this could a number of problems. Optical sensor, coil, power pack. I don't see it being a stator but maybe. I once thought my intermittent problem was power pack. I replaced it. Few trips later power pack went out. Found out it was bad stator killing my power pack. Hope you find your problem and keep us updated
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Johnson

11. Member
    Reading through cdi electronics troubleshooting tips, this sounds like a bad power coil.

12. Member
    Wanted to update for future readers. I replaced the optical sensor and continued to have issues that got worse. It would start and idle for about 10-20 sec and then it would die and I wouldn’t be able to get it turned back on. Eventually got to were it wouldn’t turn on at all. It would fire and run as long as I held the key in the start position but as soon as you let off it would die. I replaced the power back and fished yesterday and it ran great. This motor was rebuilt at some point, I think the guy said about 3yr ago and the old power pack was a CDI unit from January 2020. I read some mixed reviews about the CDI units but that’s the one I ordered as well.

I did have a question though, should I go ahead and replace the coil packs or leave them for now? Also, the CDI instructions specify to use their “inductive” spark cables and the Champion QL78YC plugs. The spark cables I have currently are the OEM “Suppressive” cables and I have Champion QL77JC4 plugs. I don’t really know what the difference would be and it ran fine yesterday. Should I switch them over per CDI recommendation?

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    My take on CDI electronics use all or none, even though they are built to OEM specs there are differences. So Stator, EET, VR power pack coils etc.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    My take on CDI electronics use all or none, even though they are built to OEM specs there are differences. So Stator, EET, VR power pack coils etc.
    So your advice is to put a OEM power pack on rather than swapping everything over? For all I know it is a CDI stator, I haven’t pull that off.