Thread: Hp question

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think my G2 is 545 lbs
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    If I remember they were V-8 Rudes, my 89 201 has an any V-6 placard also, it has a 225 HO Johnson on the back.
    Yeah the V8 Rudes were 300HP, right? Hence the Unlimited "Option". Was it a beefier transom and knee braces or just the USCG placard? Remember USCG doesn't limit HP on vessels greater than 20'

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    529# for the SHO 527# for the 4 stroke Merc. The rude weighs in at 450#.
    Sorry guess I used the internet wrong Like I said I was just thinking out loud, not necessarily feeling like a I knew what I was saying. Not doubting the boat build quality or anything like that. Just thinking that things change in 30 years. What was once made for one thing might not be as happy now. I see it at times trying to modify and update automotive things.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The rear tank Mtn Home hulls sit stern low to begin with, so extra weight could make water lap up over the rear of the boat. You can always do the basketball in the jackplate to help with that.
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 03-07-2023 at 10:31 PM.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Yeah the V8 Rudes were 300HP, right? Hence the Unlimited "Option". Was it a beefier transom and knee braces or just the USCG placard? Remember USCG doesn't limit HP on vessels greater than 20'
    Yessir. Correct.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    Sorry guess I used the internet wrong Like I said I was just thinking out loud, not necessarily feeling like a I knew what I was saying. Not doubting the boat build quality or anything like that. Just thinking that things change in 30 years. What was once made for one thing might not be as happy now. I see it at times trying to modify and update automotive things.
    Nope I'm a boat mechanic have to know my numbers, that's why I have a library of manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    The rear tank Mtn Home hulls sit stern low to begin with, so extra weight could make water lap up over the rear of the oat. You can always do the basketball in the jackplate to help with that.
    Exactly. Here is the G2 mounted on a 6" jackplate. You can see in this pic water coming in the splashwell drains.

No, it wasn't gonna sink. But I've been in some following seas that scared the bejeebies outta me and that was with my old 225 Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    Just thinking that things change in 30 years. What was once made for one thing might not be as happy now. I see it at times trying to modify and update automotive things.
    You're spot on.

When I repowered with the latest technology fly by wire G2 it was difficult retrofitting my 22 year old boat. I not only had to make some significant changes at the helm but I had to forfeit my jackplate. The G2 has a built in setback of 6" to allow for the DPS steering. With my jackplate, it was a total of 12" of setback. Way too much. Top end and general performance suffered and I didn't like how it sat in the water at such an extreme angle. I hated to lose the hydraulic plate but it had to go.

Without the jackplate, it sits in the water very much like the original motor, top end improved significantly and the performance returned to what you would expect of a 201.

9. Member
    If the boat is 20' or greater there is no legal maximum capacity.

10. Member
    Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by MarKimBassTeam2021 View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmm.

???

12. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    I don't know about that. 225 was the biggest OMC that I could order in 1994 but no doubt there were bigger motors somewhere. I suspect the placard rating was set by the manufacturer but in accordance with coast guard guidelines and I believe that there were no limits on boats over 20 feet. Pat has said there were some 201's that had V8 transoms. And remember that cover shot...forget which mag... that had a 94 204 with two big motors on the back. Can't remember what they were either, but they were big boys and the pic was sure cool!

Kinsey prop and marine was a champ dealer in Olathe Ks at one time. Musta been in the mid 80s they had a white 201 with an Evinrude 300 V8 on it at the KC sport boat and travel show. All white boat with orange lettering saying “White Lightening”. About 10 years ago or so I saw that boat at a boat storage/bait shop in Lawrence Kansas near Clinton lake. You could barely make out where the lettering was and what it said. It didn’t have the 300 rude on it any longer.

13. Member
    Wow! This weight issue definitely is something to consider with the older boats with unlimited hp rating, with the weight of the newer outboards. Especially when these bigger hp outboards weren't available back then.

14. Member
    I went with a 250 SHO on my 1998 Champion 221 with an "Any V6" plate. I wanted a 250 Merc V8. I did 18 months of research on trying to get the boat re-certified. The reason I switched motors is liability if I ever hit someone. Just because the Coast Guard doesn't regulate boats over 20 feet doesn't mean a good lawyer can't get you for exceeding Manufacturers recommendations. I'm totally legal now when I go out because the SHO is a V6. I always had Merc's and would have bought one if I could but also I was surprised I love the SHO. I handled the weight issue by switching to lithiums. The 225 Merc EFI that was replaced was 505#. The new 250 SHO is 529#. I replaced three 65 lb AGMS with three 14lb lithiums. I believe if I left the AGMs in the boat it would take on water when I slowed down. Right now it is amazing. I can't run it full out because it goes so fast I can't steer (80mph+). The hole shot seems instant. Most of all I'm never nervous worrying what could happen if something went wrong. My advice is: respect the plate. You can't legally change it ... I tried. Most will never have a problem exceeding it but it only takes one time.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbluewater View Post
    Just because the Coast Guard doesn't regulate boats over 20 feet doesn't mean a good lawyer can't get you for exceeding Manufacturers recommendations.
    As long as you are legal is what matters, not following manufacturers recommendations could literally be anything. I guarantee all of us do multiple things that are against or not following the manufactures recommendations of products we that use daily, you would have no life at all if you were always worried about being sued for it.

16. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Wow! This weight issue definitely is something to consider with the older boats with unlimited hp rating, with the weight of the newer outboards. Especially when these bigger hp outboards weren't available back then.
    OMC had a 300hp V8 back in the early 90s. It was strapped to a few 201s.

17. Member
    Crazy!!!

18. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Crazy!!!
    It was white, looked like a refrigerator on the back of the boat running across the lake it was so big.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12