04 225 DI 40v voltage low.

2004 225 DI FHLSRM. My 40v circuit is low. At idle, its about 35v. Increase RPM's and it will jump up. I replaced the stator a few years back and prior to the new one, to old one was running around 32v's at idle. Big blue capacitor ohm's out, no grounds, no leaks. How can I increase the voltage? Is this something the EMM regulates?
    Motor runs good, starts right up but I want to get this up higher.

2. Member
    Question first. What issue is occurring that leads you to thinking the voltage needs to be increased? What specification are you comparing against?
    The spec I read lists 28v to 42v at 1000 rpm.

3. Member
    did you check the blue capacitor for leaking?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    Question first. What issue is occurring that leads you to thinking the voltage needs to be increased? What specification are you comparing against?
    The spec I read lists 28v to 42v at 1000 rpm.
    The motor runs very good....not great.
    I worked on machinery and equipment for 25 yrs. A lot of DC circuits. DC is not like an AC circuit. DC components didn't like low or high voltage. Ive heard many times, it will run as low as 28v. 14v's is a huge span. I dont think I can recall ever seeing a DC component that would function below 10% of its rating nevermind 25%+.
    And if I may add, once I changed the stator....3yrs ago, the motor did run a lot better.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    did you check the blue capacitor for leaking?
    Capacitor is Not leaking. No soft spots or visible hot spots.

6. Member
    I hear you. Please put some additional details to “runs good …not great. Is there a difference from previous operation? What running quality are you expecting to improve with higher voltage?
    35v at idle is nothing to worry about. What is the voltage jump up to above idle?
    Since the engine is magneto driven, increased voltage / higher output is expected as rpms increase.
    Have you checked the replacement flywheel for any loose / mispositioned magnets?
    Are you using the service manual to assist with details for various voltage test points and values?
    Last edited by Bighare2; 03-04-2023 at 05:07 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    I hear you. Please put some additional details to “runs good …not great. Is there a difference from previous operation? What running quality are you expecting to improve with higher voltage?
    35v at idle is nothing to worry about. What is the voltage jump up to above idle?
    Since the engine is magneto driven, increased voltage / higher output is expected as rpms increase.
    Have you checked the replacement flywheel for any loose / mispositioned magnets?
    Are you using the service manual to assist with details for various voltage test points and values?
    Over the past 5yrs, Ive had some lil gremlins,idleing at the dock and it stalled, wouldnt start on the water one day, sometimes it seems like a slight skip over 5200rpm. Just some little things. I had the same hull w/225merc EFI and I had that thing screaming. This one is a bit more of a challenge. Its far more complex. I know this motor is more than capable so Im going thru everything pre-season.

Magneto.....now that makes more sense. Yes, it jumps up to 40v. Not sure exactly the RPM's but it does.
    Magnets are good and well secured on the flywheel.
    Ive been thru the manual many times but there's nothing saying how to increase the voltage other than the EMM apperantly regulates it.

Everyone knows the horror stories of Ficht's. The DI's and Etec's are a much better motors but some of those where problem children as well. And that comes from talking to a lot of owners present and former along with a handfull of Evinrude mechanics. On the other hand, there is a small loyal following of these motors and I think those are the ones who understand the motor where a lot of others (mechanics) could never understand them, they threw parts at them. These motors were pretty advanced for their time. And if IM not mistaken, the Ficht injection system is German. Ive dealt with machinery built all over the world and almost everything out of Germany is very well designed and very precise. Germans dont build things like the rest of the world does. One thing not set right, and it just runs like a cheap watch and not the swiss watch that they possibly are.

8. Member
    “A” Ficht direct injection technology was found in Germany. But as an outboard, all the parts and systems were designed by OMC and integrated into the outboard engine. I believe there is no German part in the engine other than the name.