Wacky rigged senko...floating braid or sinking braid?

I recently asked about the best Hi-Vis color for braid and in that thread was a post by DrewFlu33 that brought up another question. For wacky rigging a senko, is it best to have floating braid or sinking braid. My thinking is that sinking braid would give you better bite detection on a taut or semi-slack line, but floating braid would allow you to see the 'tick' or see the line moving better since more of the line would be on the surface. And I would think you would want a wacky rig falling on slack line as well. Just wondering what the prevailing thought is for this? And for this question, assume you have a flourocarbon leader tied on.

2. Member
    I always use regular floating Power Pro.

3. Member
    I prefer floating. Wacky senko is not really a tight line technique. I see strikes more than I feel them.

4. Member
    Floating for me, the line is much easier to watch for the slightest movement.

5. Member
    Floating for me also and when I see the line jump set the hook she's got it.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

I'm different, I wouldn't use anything but flouro as it sinks and it is clear unless maybe braid in heavy grass

7. Member
    Floating for me for weightless wacky. When you see the tick, there’s only one thing left to do. And by that I mean yell at the little one attacking it and tell him to go get his big brother! ;)

8. Member
    Fluro

9. Member
    17 lb floro for me on a baitcaster

Use Sunline PEX8 for me think its 20lb with a 7lb Sniper FC leader

11. Member
    Fluro

The braid I use on them floats. I'm not sure whether the braid floating or sinking would have much of an impact since the bait is being fished shallow (usually, at least), and I'm putting a fluoro leader on it which will pull the braid down a bit anyhow. Recognizing that there is clearly lots of variation in personal preference with this type of thing as evidenced by the replies above, the most important thing for me is that the braid is high vis. 95+% of the fish I catch on a wacky rig I never feel the bite at all. I just see the line take off swimming. And once I switched to high-vis braid, it was eye opening how many more fish I was catching. Maaaybe that has something to do with the presentation being different, though that seems unlikely. I think the bigger thing is that fish were spitting it when they felt the resistance of me checking for a bite.

The times where I think the sinking braid has a bigger impact is when fishing topwaters (for obvious reasons), or when casting bottom contact presentations, especially finessey stuff, out deep. Regarding the latter: I find that it ends up putting a big belly in the line, pulling my presentation back toward the boat and otherwise making it feel really "dead." In my mind, even aside from your bait ending up in a different place than you intended, it doesn't look as natural. Maybe that's not the case, but what I can say for sure is that my success goes down with it compared to a braid that floats. And even though it floats, it's not bouyant enough to really make a difference in sink rate or anything like that, especially with a fluoro leader. It's the behavior after the bait gets down that makes the difference.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I always use regular floating Power Pro.
    This and use high vis yellow with a 8-10 lb flour leader.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

14. Member
    sinking braid.

15. Member
    While I've never used sinking braid, I've thrown a wacky rig a ton on straight fluoro so close enough to the same. For me, I like the bite detection the floating line gives. Alot of times the fish will just suck it in as it falls and you will not feel the bite. Go to lift or twitch the tip, hit the fish, and it'll spit it before you set the hook.
    With floating braid, you'll either see the line twitch when they suck it in, or the bait will just stop sinking. With a sinking line, you may not see the twitch because there's a bow in the line under the water from current and if the line is sinking when the bait stops falling you may not notice because your line itself is sinking.

I run 20lb sunline braid with a 7-8' 8lb fluoro leader.

16. Member
    I fish a wacky rig Senko mostly with spinning, use 15lb Power Pro Slick (floats, kinda light green) and a 10lb flouro leader

17. Member
    ^ exactly the same rig but I use hi-vis yellow. I like to set the hook as soon as I see any movement in the line. Otherwise they have it sucked in too deep and it takes forever to get them off. When fishing spots, the action can be fast and I like to get the hooked fish off ASAP to get back in for another hook-up.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

18. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I wound up purchasing some Daiwa J-Braid Grand in the hi-vis chartreuse color. I had used the J-Braid Grand in 50lb test last year and liked the line, so I decided to give it a try. I honestly have no idea if it floats or sinks, but since most braids that sink are marketed as such, I'm going to assume this braid floats (I don't remember if the 50lb floated or sank, but I think it floated). I'm really curious to see if having the hi-vis line will really help me catch more fish by seeing the line move before feeling the bite. I plan to use about a 6 foot leader, probably 8lb or 10lb test.

J-Braid floats
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

20. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    12# P-Line Flouro clear for me.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex