Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bass Pro Spring Sale...spinning reel

I'll be looking at the spring sale in Bass pro for a new spinning reel, is there any smokin deals to be had? I don't know my reels very well since most of my spinning reels are Pflueger Trion/Presidents, maybe looking to step it up a notch for a "nicer" reel
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    What is nicer than a Pflueger president? They are the best spinning reels I have ever used. Tried more expensive Shimanos and Diawas and I wasn't impressed for the price.

3. Member
    Honestly the Bass Pro spring sale kind of sucks. There’s really no sales on the reels other than getting some minuscule discount for a trade in.

If you’re looking at going up to a $100 price point, then the Pflueger supreme, Shimano NASCI, Daiwa Fuego, or Quantum Energy would be my choices.

Pflueger is hard to beat for the price. Quantum has surprisingly been extremely reliable for me too.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    I like the presidents, figured I would look into a Diawa or something like that, maybe with a larger diameter reel knob would be nice
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

5. Member
    I work at BPS, and there are plenty of options in spinning reels. There is nothing wrong with a Pflueger President and we sell a lot of those reels. If you want something a little lighter/smoother, etc. you could step up to a Daiwa Fuego or Shimano Nasci at around $100. Due to the manufacturer's pricing policies, we are not allowed to advertise most reels below a certain price, and that is why BPS/Cabelas offers the "trade-in" program where you can earn a nice discount for trading in an older reel. On a Fuego or Nasci, for example, you would get $20 off for trading in an older reel. Again, you don't have to spend big money to get a very nice spinning reel.

6. Member
    Thank you, I really don't know what reel to look at I appreciate the recommendation!
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    I'll be looking at the spring sale in Bass pro for a new spinning reel, is there any smokin deals to be had? I don't know my reels very well since most of my spinning reels are Pflueger Trion/Presidents, maybe looking to step it up a notch for a "nicer" reel
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    What is nicer than a Pflueger president? They are the best spinning reels I have ever used. Tried more expensive Shimanos and Diawas and I wasn't impressed for the price.
    The three improvements you'll get with higher-end spinning reels are

1) Less weight
    2) Smoother drag
    3) Smoother retrieve
    (4) More longevity, especially if you get saltwater gear)

If none of those things are super important, maybe there isn't reason to upgrade. I have a bunch of Pflueger Presidents, they're good reels. I'd want a lighter reel than that, though (i.e. a ABU MGX would be an obvious upgrade., 2oz less weight). And when fishing light line (particularly fluoro) for big fish, I'd want a smoother drag than that (i.e. a Shimano Twin Power FD would be a definite upgrade).

What constitutes a "nicer" reel depends. On the surface, the more expensive spinning reels often don't feel that different, but when you're fighting a 5lbs smallie on 6lbs line and PRAY your drag doesn't skip, you'll understand the investment. Personally I'd rather do that on an Exsence A or a Stella than a Plueger President :)

With all that said, I don't see the BPS spring sale listed anywhere anymore, so it's hard to make an actual recommendation. Is there a link for that?

8. Member
    I don't believe the sale is online yet, I have only received the circular in the mail and I was looking at the reels they have on sale
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    The three improvements you'll get with higher-end spinning reels are

1) Less weight
    2) Smoother drag
    3) Smoother retrieve
    (4) More longevity, especially if you get saltwater gear)
    1. my Pflueger President reels are light enough for me.
    2. I have had reels that cost 2-3 times what a President does and the drag was no better, they all had great drags on them.
    3. Same as above the more expensive reels weren't any smoother that I could tell.
    4. Some of my reels are over 10 years old and still work like brand new, cleaning and maintenance is key.

10. Member
    Not to thread jack, but is the Pflueger President XT worth the $40 upgrade over the standard Pflueger President?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GNaroz View Post
    Not to thread jack, but is the Pflueger President XT worth the $40 upgrade over the standard Pflueger President?
    No. I have one and it is not very smooth. Like the other Pfluegers I have. They work but are nowhere as smooth as the Daiwas I have. And I don’t have a Daiwa spinning reel over $80. Every one I have is better than the Pflueger President or President XT

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GNaroz View Post
    another vote for no.

I have 2 Limiteds (XT before they became a normal model) and they aren’t nearly as smooth as my normal presidents. I’m actually considering getting rid of them honestly.

Like basscat Tyler said, the Daiwa will be smoother. I have a Regal which runs about $70 and it’s lighter and smoother than the XT for the same price. But at the $80 price point, my choice would be Shimano Sahara. If you can handle them in person I’d suggest doing so. The Daiwa and Shimanos are much smaller than the president frames with a shorter reel stem. I have smaller hands and a Sahara 2500 is a knuckle buster if your not careful
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Scraps
    Discount Tackle has some good deals on Lew's reels right now.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    I have one cheaper diawa and I'm blown away by how effortless it is, I'll probably get another diawa based on the comments here
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

15. Member
    Daiwa, Shimano - the end.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    I have one cheaper diawa and I'm blown away by how effortless it is, I'll probably get another diawa based on the comments here
    I have 8 Daiwa spinning reels from $40-$80 and they all have been solid. Well above their price point. Revros, RG, Legalis, and Exceler. It’s all I will buy now

17. Member
    The only Diawa reel on sale at bass pro is the cheaper Regal LT for 49.99. the Fuego LT is 109.99
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

18. Member
    You’d be surprised how good the Regal is for $50

19. Member
    Everything out there is better than the Pflueger President ...I have a near new Pflueger President 30 and the bail broke on me. Never in my 35 years of fishing have I ever had a spinning reel go out on me except for this president reel.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    Everything out there is better than the Pflueger President ...I have a near new Pflueger President 30 and the bail broke on me. Never in my 35 years of fishing have I ever had a spinning reel go out on me except for this president reel.
    You must have got a fluke then or they don't make them as good anymore. I have some that are 10 years old and still work like new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast