Mercury 175 EFI Power Trim Unit Failure

This motor is just killing me. 4 years in a row in early spring a major malfunction. So my trim gave out on me this past weekend. It goes up fine but can't go all the way down. My mechanic just called and said it was not fixable and I need to replace the unit. He said air is getting into the system and the oil is ending up where it is not supposed to. He mentioned something about a shuttle valve. Anyone ever heard of this? Do I need a second opinion?
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

2. Member
    yes i have , prob get same opinion , or non lasting repair
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    My local mechanic told me my trim was not repairable and quoted me pricing on a new trim unit. I sent it to Five Star Marine instead (https://five-star-marine.myshopify.com/) for a rebuild and it has worked flawlessly since.

4. Member
    2 year warranty sounds good
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are less and less pieces for those every year.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor