New Croix Legend Tournament Spinning Rod Tapers and Opinions

Looking at purchasing a 7'1" M, fast LTB spinning rod for the Certate I just picked up. How's everybody's experience with the new legend tournament spinning rods? Is the fast a true fast? Im looking to use this for wacky rig, ned rig, skipping plastics up and around docks/ shore, some tube action, small swim-baits. All single hook stuff mainly.

2. Member
    It will be absolutely perfect, and yes it's a true fast with a nice tip but plenty of backbone.

3. Member
    Do you notice a big difference in feel vs the 7'3" Medium/ X-fast? (if you've handled one)?

4. Member
    Don't own a 7'3 sorry

5. Member
    No worries! Have you fished any Neko Riggs on your 7'1" LTB? Curious how it will do with em.

6. Member
    I do fish some Neko rigs on my 7'1 mf. When I'm throwing a 4" or more finesse worm, I go to the 7' mlf legend elite, but I throw my bigger 5-6" worms on my 7'1 mf ltb. It's just a lot easier to get the lighter baits out there with the ml. I have 2 7'mf that get used for weightless fluke, wacky and TX Senko, bigger neko worms and tubes.

7. Member
    I have both the 7’1” and 7’3”. They are both powerful mediums, like medium plus. Light, sensitive, great balance, and 15 yr warranty. The 7’1’ bends deeper into the blank, and is more versatile, I throw Vision 110 jerkbaits and shakyheads/jigworms with the 7’1”. The 7’3” has a noticeably softer tip, like a soft ML tip section, but the backbone of the 7’3” is much stiffer than the 7’1”. The 7’3” is an interesting rod, very soft tip that quickly transitions into a very ridged backbone.

8. Member
    Hmmm that’s really good info on the 7’3”. Makes me happy I ordered the 7’1” (just from a versatility standpoint, and it sounds like it has the faster tip I want with good bend through the rod). The 7’1” sounds like a sweet rod! Curious if you’ve found where the 7’3” feels at home technique wise.

9. Member
    Austin C i have the 7’3 LTB and i like mine for Neko rigs. I throw mag Neko rigs on it as well for offshore fish. Can do some much very versatile rod in my eyes

10. Member
    Do you find the 7'3 tip heavy at all? My 7'1 LTB balances well with a light-ish reel. The 7'3 I handled at a local shop felt pretty tip heavy and not as balanced as the 7'1.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Car_nut15 View Post
    Do you find the 7'3 tip heavy at all? My 7'1 LTB balances well with a light-ish reel. The 7'3 I handled at a local shop felt pretty tip heavy and not as balanced as the 7'1.
    No i don’t at all think it’s tip heavy very well balanced.

12. Member
    Don't care if I get blasted here, but I'd spend my money else where. If you're looking to have a US made rod give Alex at ALX rods a call and ask what rod he'd suggest. St Croix sticks feel dead in my hands and the QC has gone way down hill.

13. Member
    I own ALX rods as well. They are sweet! I will say tho, If you are talking quality and finish, just imo id take a Croix Legend Elite. Nothing against Alex, He has helped me tremendously, and have multiple Enox rods. I believe they fish above their price point. And this isn't really an apples to apples as the LE are well over $100 more than the Enox line.

14. Member
    How much does your light-ish reel weigh? Just curious.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinC View Post
    How much does your light-ish reel weigh? Just curious.
    Sorry I lied. I thought I had a lighter reel on the 7'1 LTB. It balances pretty well with a Daiwa Fuego 3000 (7.5oz)

For reference a Daiwa Tatula LT 2500 was too light for this rod.

16. Member
    Sorry I lied. I thought I had a lighter reel on the 7'1 LTB. It balances pretty well with a Daiwa Fuego 3000 (7.5oz)

For reference a Daiwa Tatula LT 2500 was too light for this rod.
    That makes sense tho! I just received my 7'1" and I put a Twin Power XD 3000 (7.1oz) And it feels really nice. I am curious to see what a heavier reel does.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinC View Post
    That makes sense tho! I just received my 7'1" and I put a Twin Power XD 3000 (7.1oz) And it feels really nice. I am curious to see what a heavier reel does.
    I think 7oz-7.5oz is the sweet spot for this rod.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman2136 View Post
    Don't care if I get blasted here, but I'd spend my money else where. If you're looking to have a US made rod give Alex at ALX rods a call and ask what rod he'd suggest. St Croix sticks feel dead in my hands and the QC has gone way down hill.
    Couldn't disagree more, at least IMO. After hearing so much about alx I bought a mcsmalls just to see what all the hype was about. It wasn't out of the tube more than 5 minutes before it was back in and on its way back. It was a clean build, but I couldn't find anything I liked about it.