Pre Spawn Smallmouth

Thinking about heading up to St Clair for some pre spawn fishing, what time frame would be best to come?

2. Member
    Our plan is to be on the water as soon as we can tolerate the weather. With the milder winter we were thinking 3rd week of March to shake things down for a weekend. 4-6" of snow forecast for tomorrow.

I think targeting early April should be good for prespawn if the weather cooperates. The lake is ice free which is usually the bigger concern right now.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

3. Member
    I've heard May is sometimes a great time. When does the grass really start growing?

Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    Our plan is to be on the water as soon as we can tolerate the weather. With the milder winter we were thinking 3rd week of March to shake things down for a weekend. 4-6" of snow forecast for tomorrow.

I think targeting early April should be good for prespawn if the weather cooperates. The lake is ice free which is usually the bigger concern right now.

I prefer April, but the bite is better in May. Just like mentioned above weather is a huge factor.

5. Member
    OK so in our case we have always hit out PB smallmouth before the first wave of spawners really start to pull up, usually before April 15th or so. As a reference out magic goal is a 7 lb'er . We got close 6.6 last year. It is usually crappy cold weather and there aren't many boats out there. The grass will be just coming up in May IF there is a stretch of warm weather. It will be all about the rock piles. If you find rock there will be multiple fish not too far behind.

If you are looking for numbers with your cookie cutter 2-3.5 # bass then the first two weeks of May are absolute prime time. No question about it. Expect bent pole patterns to develop and certain areas to be packed. To us it's no fun to fight the crowds. We go but stay out of the way of those looking to brag about catching 40-100 fish, it is absolutely possible.

Feel free to PM and I'd be happy to let you know what's going on. We are out almost every weekend weather permitting,
    Last edited by SAL321; 03-03-2023 at 05:34 PM.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

6. Member
    Post 5 very good advice!!
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

7. Member
    I can't thank you enough for your time. I will pm you when we have our plans together. Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    OK so in our case we have always hit out PB smallmouth before the first wave of spawners really start to pull up, usually before April 15th or so. As a reference out magic goal is a 7 lb'er . We got close 6.6 last year. It is usually crappy cold weather and there aren't many boats out there. The grass will be just coming up in May IF there is a stretch of warm weather. It will be all about the rock piles. If you find rock there will be multiple fish not too far behind.

If you are looking for numbers with your cookie cutter 2-3.5 # bass then the first two weeks of May are absolute prime time. No question about it. Expect bent pole patterns to develop and certain areas to be packed. To us it's no fun to fight the crowds. We go but stay out of the way of those looking to brag about catching 40-100 fish, it is absolutely possible.

Feel free to PM and I'd be happy to let you know what's going on. We are out almost every weekend weather permitting,

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur311 View Post
    I've heard May is sometimes a great time. When does the grass really start growing?
    Don’t need grass. One of my best days on the lake was March 27 of 2021. Water temp was 45-47. I caught around 50 that day with most over 4 lbs and over a dozen over 5 (no 6’s though!) all on small swimbaits, Bladebaits, and jerks. They come up to gorge on baitfish that are gathering in the warmer shallow waters. Late March to Late April is my favorite time. But I can and do go any day the weather allows.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex