Early Season Golf

As usual, swing was not there in January and February. I hit the gym 3 out of the last 5 days. I work on core strength and swing flexibility exercises and noticed a difference Tuesday. I missed most drives to the left but at least I was getting through the ball without a fade finish. Irons were getting full distance (which was not the case previously) but no accuracy.

Today, I hit the range first. Punched my first pitching wedge into the target net set 30 yards out and put a second in out of 6 attempts. Felt good on 7 iron swings and driver and headed to the course. Parred 3 out of 4 and birdied the 4th! 1 under on the same four holes I was 4 over on Tuesday. Siren goes off for thunderstorms in the area so we quit for toddies. Swing felt fantastic and could tell I was getting a fuller swing with increased flexibility. Smoking the driver and irons straight and full distance. I just wish the weather would have cooperated.

But I am now excited to play my next round and can't wait to get out and work on the game. That was not the case last week-swing didn't feel right, carrying a few extra pounds and not scoring well. Golf is funny but when the game gets better it is time to get on the game and ride the wave until it bites you in the azz again, which I know it will. That is golf.

I have shortened my putting stroke after watching pros and not succeeding down here in Texas on these new to me greens-lots of three putts before today. It helped tremendously after practicing on the putting green before takeoff. No three putts today and one 1 putt for birdie from 8 feet downhill.

2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    So played today after my grandson's high school bass tournament where I am the captain. Up at 3:00 a.m. pick up boat and teammate and drive 2 hours to register and launch. Fish for 8 hours, weigh in and drive home to arrive at dark. Exhausting day for kids but especially me who didn't sleep while driving!
    So go out today to play with another couple and I will try to qualify for a special event the club holds. Play the ball down and record all strokes and putt all out. Wham, the wheels came off-101. Anytime I hit a good shot it often lead to a horrendous next shot. Putting not too bad at times but several three putts. Never got mad, just laughed at how different my swing was from the day I posted about above. Had fun with a new couple that my wife and I both enjoyed. Yes, my wife beat me with a 99! That has not happened in quite some time. Just shows how rest, food and practice are important for me to perform at golf at a competitive level as well as good grass. It is still pretty thin here. Practice range, here I come!