Shallow cranking rod under $300

Looking for a new shallow cranking rod (0-6ft). I have it narrowed down to a Megabass Lavante Flat Side Special and a Shimano Expirde B 7ft glass. I was set on the megabass but i hear a lot of good things on the expride.

2. Member
    It might help to know a little more. Are you throwing squarebills through gnarly cover with 15-20lb line or are you throwing more finesse flat-sided cranks in open water or around sparse cover with 10-12lb line? Or are you looking for a do-it-all shallow crankbait rod (as I was recently)? I don't think either of the rods you mentioned will be that good for throwing around heavy cover since they are both in the medium power range, but that's my personal opinion. I had the 7'2" MH Glass Expride A and used it for some cranking and I would say that rod would be a better all-around shallow crankbait rod than the 7'0" model since it has more power in the mid and lower sections of the rod. My best advice would be before you make a decision, send a PM to Gary from The Tackle Trap (member name here is Bronzefly) and get his input. He has never steered me wrong and has fished with so many rods that he always seems to have a good option for whatever it is you're looking for in a rod.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    It might help to know a little more. Are you throwing squarebills through gnarly cover with 15-20lb line or are you throwing more finesse flat-sided cranks in open water or around sparse cover with 10-12lb line? Or are you looking for a do-it-all shallow crankbait rod (as I was recently)? I don't think either of the rods you mentioned will be that good for throwing around heavy cover since they are both in the medium power range, but that's my personal opinion. I had the 7'2" MH Glass Expride A and used it for some cranking and I would say that rod would be a better all-around shallow crankbait rod than the 7'0" model since it has more power in the mid and lower sections of the rod. My best advice would be before you make a decision, send a PM to Gary from The Tackle Trap (member name here is Bronzefly) and get his input. He has never steered me wrong and has fished with so many rods that he always seems to have a good option for whatever it is you're looking for in a rod.
    Thanks, mostly finesse cranking. small squarebills, OG tiny, and small wakebaits. Not a whole lot of grass in the lakes her in Indianapolis.

4. Member
    Gotcha! For that I would think either of your selections should work well. The 7'2" MH Glass Expride won't throw those really small/light crankbaits very well. I would still suggest talking to Gary, especially about the MB Flat Side Special, since The Tackle Trap sells MB rods.

I'd go with dobyns champ xp 704 cb. Better warranty than the two you mentioned. Do those other two rods have hook keepers ?
    Last edited by JohnD.; 03-03-2023 at 09:08 AM.

6. Member
    IMX Pro 845 would be a good choice as well, lister over your price point but easily found under $300. Also the St Croix LTB 7’2” medium cranking rod would be perfect for what you want to do as well, the Finesse Carbon Cranker is legit

If you're wanting a good alternative to spending money, I love my Powell Inferno. But Powell is a good alternative to other brands for cranking in the 0-6 range.

I'll second the Dobyns Champion 704CB rod
    That and the 705CB made me a better crankbait guy. With those 2 rods you can fish all most every thing

And Dobyns does make the Fury line up
    Same great warr, bends were they should just a little less eye frills

I myself like the same grip and feel of my crank rods
    And I do enjoy a full cork grip.

9. Member
    Zolo Crank might fit the bill.

10. Member
    I use a 6'10 croix legend glass for shallower crankin....works great!!! Exellent with LC 1.5s and 2.5s...casts long for under 7ft too
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

Both are good rods, but for your application, I'd go with the Levante Flat Side Special. I'm generally not a huge fan of glass blended rods, so if there is a good graphite alternative, that's the route I'll take in most cases. The Levante Flat Side Special does a great job with general treble hook work in that 3/8 oz range, and can go smaller with the right reel and the right line. They are in stock at The Tackle Trap. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need more info anytime.