Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1990 Champion 201

Does anyone have a good or bad comment about a 1990 Champion 201. Just looking for information about this hull. Thanks.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    One of the best rough water rides, I have an '89 201 it is a narrow boat 86" beam. If you've got a big guy on the back deck you'll know it when he decides to move side to side. Check the transom for rot not all that common but does happen check it with a moisture meter or tapping on it a rubber mallet listen for a dead spot. I've got a 2001 Johnson 225 HO on the back of mine and getting honest 72+ GPS. I bought it new.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    MarKimBassTeam2021, Like Fred alluded to, the 201 the the standard for the Champion ride. I had a 93 201 and the ride in rough water is what I miss most about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Check the transom for rot not all that common but does happen check it with a moisture meter or tapping on it a rubber mallet listen for a dead spot.
    Do check the transom. Again a bad transom is not that common, however some on the Champion Facebook groups seem to be obsessed with it. My 201 was 18 years old when I sold it and the transom was solid as a rock.
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 03-03-2023 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Hell of a hull!
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Smoothest 20 foot bass boat ever made

6. Member
    I'm liking what I'm reading. I'll definitely inspect the transom.where does a guy get a moisture meter? To be honest with everyone, I'm definitely worried about the storage space. Looks like there is none on the back deck. And it should be noted that I'm not close to this boat, so I just can't go kick the tires anytime I want. It is at a Marine dealership, so that kinda makes me feel better about it.

7. Member
    Also, who can tell me when Champion stopped using wood in the hull or transom and deck?

Ask the dealer if they would do a video walk around for you, sorry don't know when Champ stopped using wood in transom

2009 ELITE 210

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    All-Composite when manufacture went to TN. 2003 time-frame. Bear in mind...all-composite is an all-encompassing term. Paper Mache' is all-composite! Properly cared for wood will last for countless years!

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarKimBassTeam2021 View Post
    ... I'm definitely worried about the storage space. Looks like there is none on the back deck...
    If there is one drawback to the Mountain Home boats, it's storage. There is one compartment on the front deck behind the pedestal base and if it does not have the Aux gas tank option under the seats, there is a little storage under the driver and passenger seat. The center is the cooler. Mine had the factory deck insert that gave you some storage. Those were built by Matt Mosher's (MMosher) uncle at:

Industrial Mechanical Specialties
    69 Substation Circle
    Midway, AR 72651
    (870) 481-6275

You might reach out to him. I know Matt has mentioned his name multiple times, but I've failed to update that on my Info post pinned at the top of the forum page.

201_5.jpg

11. Member
    Thanks ��

12. Member
    Ok. I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on this 1990 Champion 200 dual console. But after doing some research on this website and watching several you tube videos from back in the day and even some just several years ago. I came across one respectful you-tuber who mentioned a common and said a well known (Transom problem). If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

13. Member
    Sorry, it's a 1990 Champion 201. That was a typo.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    1989 201 owner from day one three engine swaps a reseal every swap and no transom issues. the key is to take the trim strip off and the corner caps where the rub rails come into and seal them also.

15. Member
    Ok. The problem I'm facing is. This is a 1990. I'm gonna say that this has never Ever been done to this boat. So that has me concerned. It's being sold at a Marine dealer. So I would have to try and trust that there shop could give me an honest answer to as to the shape of the Transom. Hmmmmmmm.

16. Member
    Tell them you want to buy it contingent on a transom inspection at a fiberglass shop. While it's there, have them re-seal everything.

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I know there seems to be an obsession with wood transoms on the Champion Facebook groups. Like Fred said, if it has been well maintained, you're not going to have issues. I recently saw a YouTube video by Ken Smith that was actually done a couple of years ago cautioning against over tightening ratchet style transom straps. It featured a fiberglass shop I've used over the years and he was talking about over tightening the ratchet straps on transoms. I've been guilty of this myself. After thinking about it (I ain't too smart but I'm always thinkin) you really only need to snug it. All you want to do is keep the rear of the boat from jumping up and down running down the road. Secret is to pull the bolts every 3-4 years and silicone them as well as the the stainless cap across the top of the transom

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarKimBassTeam2021 View Post
    Ok. The problem I'm facing is. This is a 1990. I'm gonna say that this has never Ever been done to this boat. So that has me concerned. It's being sold at a Marine dealer. So I would have to try and trust that there shop could give me an honest answer to as to the shape of the Transom. Hmmmmmmm.
    Hate to be a smart azz but sounds like you're talking yourself out of the purchase. Granted the 201 doesn't have much storage but I carried enough tackle to fish with. Better check Skeeter's track record on transoms.

19. Member
    Hey, you maybe right, I might be trying to talk myself out of this 1990 Champion 201. But I'd rather be smart about it, instead of being blind and thinking "I'm getting a CHAMPION" . WOOP! WOOP! So anyway I'd rather not end up with a Money Pit. And like most people I can't afford a new one.

20. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Check the transom thoroughly. If you can’t afford a new boat - like most of us, and don’t want a money pit I’d go look for a 1987 1/2 model year Ranger- 100 percent fiberglass transoms. With those you at least know the transom won’t be rotten. Your back might need some adjustment but your boat transom will be solid. Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast