Wobbly Swivl-Ease power pedastal

I purchased an '88 champion, the only issue is the wobbly seats. They are 2" Swivl-ease. Should I put in the plates that you can buy? if so, do I need to open the exisiting hole in the boat? Or do you think the pole itself is the issue?

2. Member
    My '85 Champ was several years old and had wobble seats due to the old original plastic taper lock part. I bought replacement taper lock plastic parts that fit OK. This might have been what I ordered 15 years ago maybe (?) https://www.amazon.com/Springfield-M.../dp/B002IV6ODG

If I remember correctly , original taper lock parts were kind of hard to remove, I think I cut the plastic with a hack saw, then used a hammer.

Putting new ones on wasn't easy either; I drilled a hole in a 2x4 that would fit over the small part on bottom of taper lock; then I could hit 2x4 with hole with sledge hammer. I think I had couple of the 2x4s with holes due to 2x4s don't like being beat with a sledge hammer. see quote below

I think the instructions said something like tap on the sides of the plastic part to seat the part on the post (maybe?). Part comes with a rivet, needed a pop rivet tool [bought a Marson model 39000/HP-2]; and drill hole into post for the rivet (maybe?).

One Amazon review " did take some pounding to get it all the way on the pedastal."

Good luck with your new Champ. I bought my Champ in 1989.
    Last edited by tj; 03-02-2023 at 04:24 PM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Swivl-Eze was not the OEM provider in 88, it was Springfield Taper Lock, so the Swivl-Eze may not fit correctly. I'd ty a new Springfield and I bet it will resolve your problem.

4. Member
    Thanks for the tip.

5. Member
    The part-replacements above were for my two original 1985 sit-down seat pedestals, which became wiggly after many years.

Almost forgot about my two SWIVL-EZE stand-up seat pedestals (photo), which work perfectly and do not wiggle. Might have been purchased sometime between 2000-2010 at BPS (??).

Your pedestal taper-lock bushings might need replaced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tj; 03-05-2023 at 03:28 PM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI