Thread: Spark plug

Spark plug

26F0D2AF-D1A9-406F-A920-F4B29E52ED4A.jpeg Good morning all. I have a 2006 150hp Mercury optimax. Serial # 1B273623. Could someone tell me how to remove this plug? It is right above the bottom spark plug. I think with this plug out of the way it might give me enough room to get my hand in there. I have tried using a flexible hose but that didn’t work either. I’d also take any tricks you might have to get that damn thing in there. 🤣

2. Member
    Best thing for me is to remove the lower cowling to do this job. you can unplug that wire buy releasing the clips top and bottom with a small pick tool . I can tell you from experience, its easy to bend the connector prongs. Be very cautious.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    Best thing for me is to remove the lower cowling to do this job. you can unplug that wire buy releasing the clips top and bottom with a small pick tool . I can tell you from experience, it’s easy to bend the connector prongs. Be very cautious.
    Thanks for the reply. My fear is that I am going to damage it.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I do not permit a tech to do plugs on these without removing the lower cowlings until they've changed at least 25-30 sets. Since proper maintenance requires cleaning the strainer, and the lower cowlings have to come off to do that, it's a no-brainer.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Please do not take this as an insult: If you do not have the skill set to disconnect that connector or rotate the injector slightly you really should not be doing this job yourself without direct supervision on your first attempt. Many things that can go sideways on you
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Please do not take this as an insult: If you do not have the skill set to disconnect that connector or rotate the injector slightly you really should not be doing this job yourself without direct supervision on your first attempt. Many things that can go sideways on you
    real quick ^^^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Actually removing the cowlings is much easier than it appears. 4 bolts. youll need a 1/4" drive 5/16 swivel for the lower one in the rear and the front one. Once you do it a couple of times it goes fast. I can get mine off in 15 mins or less .
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I do not permit a tech to do plugs on these without removing the lower cowlings until they've changed at least 25-30 sets. Since proper maintenance requires cleaning the strainer, and the lower cowlings have to come off to do that, it's a no-brainer.
    I’ve never removed the lower cowl. I’m sure there are YouTube videos on how to do. How much of a pain is it to remove? Thanks for the help.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I don’t take that as an insult because you are probably right. I just want to learn as much as I can do I don’t have to take it to a dealer. ����*♂️

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    Actually removing the cowlings is much easier than it appears. 4 bolts. youll need a 1/4" drive 5/16 swivel for the lower one in the rear and the front one. Once you do it a couple of times it goes fast. I can get mine off in 15 mins or less .
    Thanks. I guess that’s my next tackle. ��

It is faster to remove the cowls than to the fight the tight areas when replacing plugs, You need factory service manuel first before doing anything
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    Definitely remove the lower cowling. You run the risk of stripping the threads on the engine if you don't.

13. Member
    Thanks for the help all.