Thread: Santee

Santee

Leaving tomorrow for one week in Santee then a week in Summerton then back to work.
    Never been there before.
    Any helpful tips about this lake?
    Seems like from some posts, I should be extremely cautious and stay in the channels. But then you still have to get to your spots outside the channels.
    I not asking for any fishing locations, but how is the fishing now?
    Thanks everyone

2. Member
    What lake are you planning on fishing the upper lake, Marion or the lower lake Moultrie? Lower lake Moultrie can be very dangerous with even 10mph winds. Marion can be as well, but you can find areas sheltered from wind more than Moultrie.

My advise if you don't know the lake well is to IDLE! I know the upper lake pretty good but I'm still super cautious.

Wear your life jacket and kill switch when big motor is on!

Weights in recent tournaments have been very good. Took over 32lbs to win. Some bass spawning already, most still pre-spawn. Target cypress trees and look for shallow spawning areas with some grass or lily pads. Those have the hard bottoms.

BFL is this Saturday, ABA is Sunday out of John C Landing lake will be busy.

Santee IMO is one of the best bass lakes in Southeast! Caught my PB 10lbs 5 oz there last year.

Good luck!

3. Member
    Thank you for the helpful info.
    I will probably just stay on Marion.
    Funny how every time I got out of my area to a new lake there is a large tournament.
    Been looking forward to it for awhile as I'm always looking for different lakes in different states.
    Thanks again!

4. Member
    You should have a ball.
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

5. Member
    Just got back Monday and fished 5 days there. The first 2 days were brutally hard. The bass were definitely pre spawn where we fished. Last 2 days were decent with 18 and 22 fish. No giants this trip but a couple of 6 and several 5lb fish.
    Offshore bite in 5 to 6 feet of water outside spawning flats should get you some bites.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnyboy View Post
    Just got back Monday and fished 5 days there. The first 2 days were brutally hard. The bass were definitely pre spawn where we fished. Last 2 days were decent with 18 and 22 fish. No giants this trip but a couple of 6 and several 5lb fish.
    Offshore bite in 5 to 6 feet of water outside spawning flats should get you some bites.
    Thanks, just about to leave now for a long trip down there.
    By the way, 5-6 lb fish seems to me a good day.
    Thanks

7. Member
    Fish the rim of Lake moultrie. Start at the canal go to your right work your way to Pinopolis. Then work your way back. Fish swing jigs, spinnerbaits, wacky rigged and a lizard. That will keep you busy.

8. Member
    Down here right now for 4 days. Yesterday it was tough for us. Today was a good bit better. Caught 12. One 5-11. Still prespawn where we are fishing.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

9. Member
    I fished Friday and Saturday. Quickly Found some empty beds and a few on the beds in Wyboo. However, these led me astray. The fish just mostly had not come to the banks yet and were out. That should have changed today given water temps in high 60’s.
    . Go launch in Jacks creek one day and fish trees and grass. Launch in Taw Caw one day and run out to main lake. Turn right to fish the cow pasture area which is first section to the right exiting the creek or black bottom to the left. Taw Caw creek itself is one of the safest places to run on the lake. Given the recent tournaments, there will be plenty of fish near the john c land ramp and that is a good area during the week.
    I lived there until college and still go back to fish a few times every year. PM me if you have questions

10. Member
    You can tow over to Alex Harvin landing in Wyboo for a day. Wyboo is safe to run. Coming out of Wyboo to the right is Potato Creek . Just stay in the middle and you can run safely down this creek. However, if you want to run into one of the pocket, I would come off plane early as there are plenty of flats that stick out pretty far

11. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Hope things hold up until this weekend myself. Haven't got to see Santee really in a while and going drive over after work Friday and go fish. I know the weather will decline from where it has been the last week, but i'm going regardless and hope to find a few 3-5lbers!!

12. Member
    Thanks everyone.
    I got on the water for a full day yesterday and was very slow and I haven't seen any beds yesterday but that's fine.
    I still was surprised how slow it was for two sunny days in a row.
    I'm sure when I figure them out the bad weather looks like it's coming.
    I fished some of Moultrie and mostly Marion.
    Still here for another week.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    I got on the water for a full day yesterday and was very slow and I haven't seen any beds yesterday but that's fine.
    I still was surprised how slow it was for two sunny days in a row.
    I'm sure when I figure them out the bad weather looks like it's coming.
    I fished some of Moultrie and mostly Marion.
    Still here for another week.
    Going to send you a PM.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

How was your trip! I'm leaving on the 19th and staying through the 25th. Hoping the bite picks up!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBolton View Post
    How was your trip! I'm leaving on the 19th and staying through the 25th. Hoping the bite picks up!
    for me it has been slow as well as others I have talked to on the water. They had a tournament out of Blacks on Saturday and would love to know the results if anyone here knows pm me.
    I have caught several fish over 7 lbs and one close to 8.
    so in that sense, I'm happy. I will still be here another week.
    Once this crazy up and down weather stabilizes, it should be crazy in the shallows.
    l will pm you tomorrow

16. Member
    I haven't been in a few years. Is there still grass and lilypads around sixteen islands or has it been killed?