Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakestar View Post
    I always find it "unfair" when ABU reels are lumped in with all the other knockoff reels.

Yes, ABU Garcia is producing all of their reels (except the Ambassadeur) at Doyo, but it's a company with a very long history of creating reels (1st one released in the 50s). They eventually were forced to outsource production of their reels, and tons of other companies (who never produced anything in-house) have copied their platform and are making reels at Doyo now. Has ABU's quality suffered when they moved production to Korea? Possibly, especially when it comes to tolerances. But I'll still take a Revo Premier or MGXtreme2 over any reel by Ducket or Lews. (I wasn't impressed with the new Zenon reels, though and sent it back).
    Abu Garcia isn’t “producing” reels at the Doyo facility. They are buying them from Doyo. That’s not a slam. I’ve owned plenty of Doyo reels and they were fine. My Daiwas have held up much better though

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    They are no better than a $25 reel off alibaba. Knock yourself out.
    Yep...purty much, sumpfin' like dat.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Abu Garcia isn’t “producing” reels at the Doyo facility. They are buying them from Doyo. That’s not a slam. I’ve owned plenty of Doyo reels and they were fine. My Daiwas have held up much better though
    I don’t know if anyone has this info on hand but when did Abu start outsourcing their production? I only ask cause I’ve got some Revo Gen 2s that I still use but I could not stand the Gen 3 and quit buying them and switched to daiwa after that. Just wondering how long they have been produced by doyo

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot-a-saurus View Post
    I don’t know if anyone has this info on hand but when did Abu start outsourcing their production? I only ask cause I’ve got some Revo Gen 2s that I still use but I could not stand the Gen 3 and quit buying them and switched to daiwa after that. Just wondering how long they have been produced by doyo
    I’m not 100% sure when. But seems to me that when the Revo came out there were other brands with a similar profile not long after. Though the first Revo came out moons ago

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot-a-saurus View Post
    I know what you mean. I’m using a Gen2 Revo SX and it’s great.. wasn’t a fan of the feel of Gen3s at all. Check on the bottom of the reel foot to see if there’s a “made in” sticker. If it says Korea then we have the answer

EDIT: I took my Gen2 Revo SX off the rod and there’s a made in Korea sticker on it.. so it’s a Doyo
    Last edited by ECobb91; 03-06-2023 at 06:48 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    The answer is buy Daiwa or Shimano.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I’m not 100% sure when. But seems to me that when the Revo came out there were other brands with a similar profile not long after. Though the first Revo came out moons ago
    The very first Revos circa 2006-2007 were OEM, by that time Pure Fishing had taken over production and manufacturing of many well known US fishing brands and Abu as well.

I fished with some pre-production SX and STX models as my fishing buddy was a Pure Fishing Rep(now Jarden IIRC) up at Pella Crossing ponds in the Longmont, CO area...I then wrote a pretty in depth on the water review on these reels on TT that was lost in one of a few massive server crashes. My main note was that moving forward, the fishing gear industry would never be the same, especially for the Two-Headed Rising Sun Dragons.
    Last edited by dragon1; 03-07-2023 at 07:07 PM.

8. Member
    I will say.....I bought a few Piscifun spinning reels (carbonx or something like that)for "guest" rods.....Inexpensive price and great reel (bang for buck)...HAIBO if thats who manufactures it is better than you may think.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    I will say.....I bought a few Piscifun spinning reels (carbonx or something like that)for "guest" rods.....Inexpensive price and great reel (bang for buck)...HAIBO if thats who manufactures it is better than you may think.
    I have an ardent Summit hawk and like it more than any of my Lews. But I wouldn’t pay full price for it. That’s where Piscifun shines since they are just rebadged Ardents. Most reels nowadays are good even the cheaper ones. Just gotta find which ones feel right to you
    Last edited by ECobb91; 03-14-2023 at 10:32 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    You may recognize a few here
    https://doyofishing.co.kr/main/index
    Poking around on the Website
    Found the Strike King page, There doing the crank baits

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12