Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2023 Tatula Elite

There is a bunch of teaser videos on Youtube of the new 2023 Tatula Elite signature rods. I like the change from EVA and the silver look!

2. Member
    The vast majority are still eva, only a couple with cork.

3. Member
    no more AGS Guides, kinda disapointing to me

I was hoping DAIWA has more USDM offerings in and around 300$, BLX and Swagger are JDM and model options are limited

4. Member
    I’m not bothered by the no AGS. I don’t think they justified the large increase in price as I can’t hardly tell a difference. Maybe I’m just not refined enough. They must not have sold as well as Daiwa hoped though.
    I really like the black reel seats. Makes them look much less cheap.

Fyi I currently have two previous Elites and have had four at one time. I like some and others not so much.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

5. Member
    Im going to assume that the Cody Johnston 7'6" spinning rod is basically the Seth Feider AGS rod of the previous generation except no AGS guides and with a cork handle? Looking at purchasing one, didn't know if anybody had more info. All the specs are identical to Seth's rod.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinC View Post
    Im going to assume that the Cody Johnston 7'6" spinning rod is basically the Seth Feider AGS rod of the previous generation except no AGS guides and with a cork handle? Looking at purchasing one, didn't know if anybody had more info. All the specs are identical to Seth's rod.
    One of the things I picked up on was that the 2023 is Cory said parablolic. I have the Seth rod, and its pretty fast tip. most the bend is at the top, would be cool to see a bend comparison....... So I am thinking it may be different.

My thoughts on AGS, love them on spinning, but on casting I do not think there is as much of and advantage. Have a few Steez casting rods and spinning.

7. Member
    Full rundown on the Daiwa website

8. Member
    I'm going to pile on here, the lack of AGS is extremely disappointing. The Ehler 7'0 AGS rod is such a great rod, I was hoping for an updated version with the AGS guides. Shoot.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    One of the things I picked up on was that the 2023 is Cory said parablolic. I have the Seth rod, and its pretty fast tip. most the bend is at the top, would be cool to see a bend comparison....... So I am thinking it may be different.

My thoughts on AGS, love them on spinning, but on casting I do not think there is as much of and advantage. Have a few Steez casting rods and spinning.
    How do you like your Seth Rod? I re-watched the video I see what you're talking about. I wonder how that will handle. Very interesting tho that all the specs are the same even the they talk about different rod behaviors

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StymoDe View Post
    no more AGS Guides, kinda disapointing to me

I was hoping DAIWA has more USDM offerings in and around 300$, BLX and Swagger are JDM and model options are limited

Quote Originally Posted by lakesareabassin View Post
    I'm going to pile on here, the lack of AGS is extremely disappointing. The Ehler 7'0 AGS rod is such a great rod, I was hoping for an updated version with the AGS guides. Shoot.
    Rumor is rods with Fuji Alconite guides will be released first followed by AGS rods later at ICAST.

I’m excited to try the Johnston 7’5” rods as well as Walter’s 7’6” rods. I think they filled in the gap of bottom contact rods missing in their lineup.

How do you like your Seth Rod? I re-watched the video I see what you're talking about. I wonder how that will handle. Very interesting tho that all the specs are the same even the they talk about different rod behaviors
    I like the rod have a Tatula 4000/YGK braid in it. Casts well with matabou, okashiras, neds. But as I said its mostly tip where it bends. Would be interesting to see tge new 2023.

I also have "the one" the bend is similar

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I like the rod have a Tatula 4000/YGK braid in it. Casts well with matabou, okashiras, neds. But as I said it's mostly tip where it bends. Would be interesting to see tge new 2023.

After having the Seth rod, are you thinking the more parabolic flex (if thats what it really is) will help the rod out?

After having the Seth rod, are you thinking the more parabolic flex (if thats what it really is) will help the rod out?
    I have been tying messing with marabou/deer hair since the 70s, for the longest time I used a Garcia (not ABU) river Trout rod, 7-6...it it was very parabolic, for my marabou. I believe it was probably too parabolic. So it would need to be a balance, I think the seth and the Steez could go a bit deeper in the blank. I do think the light fast tip helps fling the 1/16 3/32 size pretty well. Not that I need another of these rods, I have a P5Flyssa on order, and several older 7-6 lt rods. but I am very intrigued by the comment Cory made. I like the seth, but if they could improve it......needs a bit more flex down the blank. Tied 4 doz tonight.....

15. Member
    On the topic of the the 7'6 Seth rod, hair jigs are the one thing I don't throw on that rod. I love it for 2.75 swimmers, drop shots, spy baits, and 1/8 and 3/16 neds. It's just a bit strong for hair. The 7'6 kage is much better suited for hair.

16. Member
    Yeah they look good. I’ll tell you the best part though. Stores are starting to offload their current inventory and you can get some tatula elites at killer prices.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    On the topic of the the 7'6 Seth rod, hair jigs are the one thing I don't throw on that rod. I love it for 2.75 swimmers, drop shots, spy baits, and 1/8 and 3/16 neds. It's just a bit strong for hair. The 7'6 kage is much better suited for hair.
    Would agree that is why the Cory comment on the blank becomes interesting, they may have realized it

18. Member
    Got to play with a few of the new rods this weekend. The new Chris Johnston Hair Jig rod is much closer to a light to me, feels like an awesome marabou jig rod but to me does not seem very versatile. The Cory Johnston 7'5" MH felt like a soft MH to me with a little deeper bend, while the 7'5" H feels more like a MH+ and actually picked one up. Nothing to report on sensitivity since we are still covered in ice.

19. Member
    I stopped by a shop over the weekend that had a few of the new ‘23 Tatula Elites in stock. The one I think I will be picking up is the 6’-10” M XF Walters jerkbait rod. I have the 6’-9” Feider ML jerkbait rod and love that one but want another jerkbait rod and think the new Walters rod will be a nice complimentary rod in the arsenal. Felt really good in my hands.

20. Member
    Question on the new Walters Jerkbait rod - it shows the lure ratings on Daiwa site as 1/2 - 1 1/2 which seems heavy for a jerkbait rod. Are those rating correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast