Converting a 3 wire power trim motor to an existing 2 wire system

Greetings all,

I am currently swapping a power trim assembly from a 150 black max to a 150 black max xr-2. The xr-2 had a 2 wire motor (round) and the new assembly has a 3 wire (square). What modifications, if any, will need to be made just to get the motor running? Is it possible to ground the 3rd wire and splice in the green/blue to the existing relays? I did order a 3 wire to 2 wire conversion kit that will be here today as well. Any help/insights are greatly appreciated 👍

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Install the conversion kit. It will replace the SOLENOIDS and wiring with RELAYS, and a Polarity-Reversing wiring setup. Absolutely mandatory to operate a two-wire system.

Moving your post to the 2.0/2.4/2.5L Forum

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Ok Ill try when it gets here, thank you sir. Any tips for the conversion kit?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not really- it's pretty self-explanatory (and should have instructions as well).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    No luck. The harness they sent me looks like the same setup that's already on the motor and there's only 2 connections leading in and my motor has 3 connections coming off it. No instructions, no YouTube vids

6. Member
    I'm sorry boss I've never worked on a boat a day in my life

7. Member
    Is the kit you ordered a Mercury kit or aftermarket kit? If Mercury what is the part #?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    Must be aftermarket
    REPLACES: 9807-100, 47-35-9003, 28-9807-100, 9807100, 47359003, 289807100

9. Member
    Where did you order the part? Might want to add your engine serial number too so you get the correct info/part number from the pros here.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alldaybassfiend View Post
    Must be aftermarket
    REPLACES: 9807-100, 47-35-9003, 28-9807-100, 9807100, 47359003, 289807100
    See the FAQ Section at the top of the Forum... we're more than happy to assist folks but just simply can't spend a bunch of time on these gray-market off-brand components, most commonly purchased on sites we do not support here.

ONE shot explanation on this- and then we will need to either conclude, or purchase something OEM to complete the task:

Two ring terminals: Red to 12V+ power at the starter solenoid. Black to a solid ground (preferably a 5/16" or 8MM bolt, with no paint on contact surfaces).

Two BULLET CONNECTOR wires: Green to the GREEN wire of trim motor. BLUE to the BLUE wire of trim motor.

Small blue wire and small green wire go to the original circuit activation wires (formerly connected to solenoids).

That's all of the connections...

11. Member
    So just tape the black wire from the pump/motor and use the green and blue?

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's stop and back up for a minute. You cannot use a 3-wire trim motor with 2-wire wiring (from your title, I understood you previously had a 3-wire, and were now converting to use a 2-wire).

3-wire systems use two solenoids and different wiring that supplies power to ONE wire (blue or green) while the black wire has a permanent ground.

13. Member
    and the xr2 came from factory with 3 wire ,pump and mtr had to be replaced together as assembly me thinks you have some after mercet rigging in here somewhere
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................