Vault Hubs Leaking Need Help!

I have a 2012 Phoenix 619 pro dual axle trailer and have recently noticed what appears to be some grease leaking around 2 of my rims. (Opposite wheels same axle). I have to trailer the boat in a few weeks about 4 hours one way via interstate. I've attached some photos to get opinions on if this is something I need to address prior to traveling or does it need immediate attention. Thanks in advanced.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Normal grease you would likely be OK but I wouldn’t chance it with Vaults. It thins significantly with heat and will run out quickly. Strongly recommend pulling, checking wear sleeve, and replacing seals. If you are uncomfortable and unable to find someone to do that work, you could take off the Vault cap and use the grease zerk hole (will need a zerk to screw into it) to flush Red N Tacky through the hub and then remove the zerk and use a bearing buddy style cap. Technically UFP recommends this only as a temporary fix until you can have them fully serviced.

3. Member
    Have you looked at the inside of the rims to see how much grease are on them? I would definitely rebuild them before you have a bearing failure on the road. I have rebuilt a couple of my Vault hubs and it’s not that difficult. With all the grease you’re seeing you definitely need to replace the grease seals. You are taking a big chance by just adding grease for a 8 hr round trip on the interstate. You can get the serial number off one of your axles and call Dexter to get all the part numbers you need or someone on here can probably give you the part numbers. The black indicator caps that say Vault should be sticking out, if they are flush then the grease is low. I would press on all of them to see if they go in anymore because they can get stuck giving you a false reading that they are pressurized.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman28 View Post
    I have a 2012 Phoenix 619 pro dual axle trailer and have recently noticed what appears to be some grease leaking around 2 of my rims. (Opposite wheels same axle). I have to trailer the boat in a few weeks about 4 hours one way via interstate. I've attached some photos to get opinions on if this is something I need to address prior to traveling or does it need immediate attention. Thanks in advanced.

5. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Problem with the vaults is when traveling the grease thins and will run out verses grease that you could just add more to get by. But not terrible to fix. Plenty of helpful youtube videos. I've got a leaking cap I've got to replace before his weekend. I keep an extra seal and o ring in the truck.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

6. Member
    Call Waymire's...they should be able to help you. (317) 634-4824.

7. Member
    2012. Trailer. Vault says 10 years without service. Time to replace seals

10 years without service doesn't mean anything when you are on the side of the road in the middle of EBFE. The SS wear ring is the same that are used on other UFP hubs. There is also a reason that UFP discontinued the oil bath hubs.

Some had good luck with the oil bath hubs and others did not including me. I converted my oil bath hubs to grease. I had a bearing protector come off on the way to the boat ramp last year, the grease stayed in. I have some plain dust covers in my truck so I can just pound one on if needed and continue with my day.

If the hybrid oil in the Vault hubs is a liquid when the hubs are warmed up, I don't see the difference between them and oil bath hubs.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

9. Member
    I always had issues with the oil filled hubs. Like the vault system much better.

10. Member
    As stated when oil thins out your left high and dry and prone to failure. I just converted all 4 to back to grease and bearing buddies.
    This allows me to check annually, without dropping the expense of the seal kits to check and make sure they are ok. Nothing like being in the middle of now where trying to get these parts.

I found one hub was leaking / slinging grease this year as well, trailer is a 10 year old BoatMate. Ordered a new trailing arm and hub assembly. Just have to know which alxe size you have. Plan is to rebuild the original arm and hub assembly and keep as a spare

12. Member
    At ten years lost a hub cover. How I did not ruin that bearing is beyond me. I changed to Bearing Buddies and Lucas Red & Tacky grease.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    At ten years lost a hub cover. How I did not ruin that bearing is beyond me. I changed to Bearing Buddies and Lucas Red & Tacky grease.
    Drove 60+ miles home from a lake. Got home and vault cap was missing. No grease. Didn’t get hot.