Live Pro, AT2 - Set a waypoint?

So, we all know that you can't put a way point on an object showing on the AT screen. Say a brush pile, rock, shell bed, 50 some feet out. (Like you can with Side Scan for an object 50' or so out.)

Does that Way Point option work now with the Pro and AT2?
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

2. Member
    I do it all the time on AT and go right back to it. on Single Crappie TRees in 40ft of water.

3. Member
    With AT1, I do it all the time as well.

4. Member
    You must have a valid heading sensor and the direction indicator must be working. If those conditions are met, waypoints are very accurate when set on the AT1. I don’t doubt AT2 will be similar.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    You must have a valid heading sensor and the direction indicator must be working. If those conditions are met, waypoints are very accurate when set on the AT1. I don’t doubt AT2 will be similar.

NoCAL
    If by "direction indicator" you mean the little on screen Beam Direction Indicator? That never worked for me. Matter of fact, I don't bother using it any longer. When I did have it on, the transducer would be facing forwards but the indicator would be pointing to my 5:00. They never lined up.

When I would set a way point on a target, it would default to leaving the way point on the location of the boat instead.

As for set up, HDS Live 9, an AT(1) and a Point One. Also a Fortrex TM.
    Last edited by OBT; 02-28-2023 at 09:19 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    If by "direction indicator" you mean the little on screen Beam Direction Indicator? That never worked for me. Matter of fact, I don't bother using it any longer. When I did have it on, the transducer would be facing forwards but the indicator would be pointing to my 5:00. They never lined up.

When I would set a way point on a target, it would default to leaving the way point on the location of the boat instead.

As for set up, HDS Live 9, an AT(1) and a Point One. Also a Fortrex TM.
    WHere is your Point 1 located?, calibrated it? You have your bow unit on data sources GPS this unit, Vessel set to Point one.? Verifed on Device list the point 1 shows up? If all this is done and correctly, Try moving your Transducer another in or 2 from the motor. These minnkota have brushs that put out lots of noise and that is a big problem with those TM. The farther you can get the AT transducer from the Motor the more you have a shot at making the pointer work. If you are reading your Unit Internal GPS then saving a waypoint on the AT screen and getting back to it should be Zero problem.

7. Member
    In addition to a (working) P1, you also need to mount the AT-transducer so it is not influenced by magnetic interference. With a brush-TM, that means far away from the TMs lower unit. It is the combination of the headingsensor in the P1 and a similar sensor in the transducer, that mages the magic happen. If one of those is missing, the AT has no idea where it is pointing and neither the indicator or any waypoints will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    WHere is your Point 1 located?, calibrated it? You have your bow unit on data sources GPS this unit, Vessel set to Point one.? Verifed on Device list the point 1 shows up? If all this is done and correctly, Try moving your Transducer another in or 2 from the motor. These minnkota have brushs that put out lots of noise and that is a big problem with those TM. The farther you can get the AT transducer from the Motor the more you have a shot at making the pointer work. If you are reading your Unit Internal GPS then saving a waypoint on the AT screen and getting back to it should be Zero problem.
    Point One located on the stern, away from any interference. It is calibrated, and redone once or twice a season. (I travel a lot and fish 4-5 times a week for most of the year)

Bow unit is set to use its own internal GPS, though it is set to use the Point 1 for heading info while using the Map. It is 15 or so feet away from the Point One which is used primarily for the Console units, so it marks Way points to match or in relationship to the console unit where I do most of my Side Scan work. All verified.

Interference factor already understood. Several positions have been tried in the field. Currently, the AT transducer is approximately 8 1/2" from the top of the TM (47" Shaft). It can be raised a bit more before it runs out of water! Through the use of shim's, the TM shaft if as plum as it ever will be.

Like I said above, the on screen indicator very rarely matches the direction of which way the transducer is pointing and if I do tap the screen where an object is shown and a way point is set, it shows the way point only on the current boat position and not on the object.

As for a Direction Indicator, I use the one on top of the TM.

In regard to the possible magnetic interference from the Minn Kota, That can't be helped and should have been factored in to the AT build through filtering etc,. However it doesn't seem as though they did. I'm sure they figured everyone would be so very glad to spend $3600 for a Brushless motor, like a Ghost, but there are many who can not or will not pay that much money.
    Last edited by OBT; 03-01-2023 at 10:44 AM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    Point One located on the stern, away from any interference. It is calibrated, and redone once or twice a season. (I travel a lot and fish 4-5 times a week for most of the year)

Bow unit is set to use its own internal GPS, though it is set to use the Point 1 for heading info while using the Map. It is 15 or so feet away from the Point One which is used primarily for the Console units, so it marks Way points to match or in relationship to the console unit where I do most of my Side Scan work. All verified.

Interference factor already understood. Several positions have been tried in the field. Currently, the AT transducer is approximately 8 1/2" from the top of the TM (47" Shaft). It can be raised a bit more before it runs out of water! Through the use of shim's, the TM shaft if as plum as it ever will be.

Like I said above, the on screen indicator very rarely matches the direction of which way the transducer is pointing and if I do tap the screen where an object is shown and a way point is set, it shows the way point only on the current boat position and not on the object.

As for a Direction Indicator, I use the one on top of the TM.

In regard to the possible magnetic interference from the Minn Kota, That can't be helped and should have been factored in to the AT build through filtering etc,. However it doesn't seem as though they did. I'm sure they figured everyone would be so very glad to spend $3600 for a Brushless motor, like a Ghost, but there are many who can not or will not pay that much money.

Above in Red. Your saving waypoints is working correctly where I thing you are going wrong, is if it appears to be in the position of the boat means your not zoomed in enough to get separation from boat to 50 ft to an object. It also appears to you that you are on top of it as the boat. Zoom in to 100 ft the put your cross hairs on the tree or object then save the way point. then you will see the distance between You and the object and it will be saved as such. Sounds like everything else you described is correct. If pointer will not work with all that then no more you can do other than turn it off and use your TM points as you have been. The noise on a MK is inherently in all sonar products side scan, sonar, ete not just Live Sonar no getting around it. IF MK cannot get ride of it then no other company will even try. Try out the zoom and see if that works better for you. Good luck

Appreciate it, and I will double check once the weather allows it.

As a test, when I'm fully zoomed in on both the bow unit and the console unit, and set a Way Point on each unit at the same time, just for the current boat position, seeing the 15 foot difference on the chart between the front and back is no problem.

Of Note: When using my ReefMaster maps, which I often do, I keep the map set in close, just enough to see the targets I'm working on with a little extra area to maintain position. Helps with my orientation without having to look up and around for shore marks.

Also, with ReefMaster, I can Zoom into the chart down to 25 feet (Maybe a little less but I haven't been out since early November and my memory sucks) and have never had a problem seeing close together way points. Well unless they right on top of each other. Setting a Way Point while using AT on something 25, 40, 50 or 100' out has not worked. I'll keep screwing with it and maybe I'll figure it out. It sure would be handy to be able to do it!

Thanks for the help all.

I tried this today, out of curiosity, and when I hit the way point button on the AT screen, I got an error message "Vessel position not acquired, cannot set waypoint" or something along those lines. Now, I was doing it by hitting the Wp button, and have since read/re-read that I need to do it via the menu, not the physical button - was that it issue, or is something else going on?

Have 4 Lives networked with both Ethernet and NEMA, along with Ghost, Point 1, 3DSS, Fuel Manager etc... Heading sensor is correct, and Routes/Navigation/Autopilot all work as expected - I just haven't seen that message before. Since this is my front unit, I am using the internal GPS for GPS, and the Point 1 for Heading - which I think is pretty standard setup for bow units.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I tried this today, out of curiosity, and when I hit the way point button on the AT screen, I got an error message "Vessel position not acquired, cannot set waypoint" or something along those lines. Now, I was doing it by hitting the Wp button, and have since read/re-read that I need to do it via the menu, not the physical button - was that it issue, or is something else going on?

Have 4 Lives networked with both Ethernet and NEMA, along with Ghost, Point 1, 3DSS, Fuel Manager etc... Heading sensor is correct, and Routes/Navigation/Autopilot all work as expected - I just haven't seen that message before. Since this is my front unit, I am using the internal GPS for GPS, and the Point 1 for Heading - which I think is pretty standard setup for bow units.
    Go to the device list and see if the Point 1 shows up, If not then that is your issue. Also did you use the cursor on a location or just hit the WP button?

Wp button, which I mentioned i think is wrong. Will check again re P1 and use menu

Wp button, which I mentioned i think is wrong. Will check again re P1 and use menu
    Well oddly enough, tested in the garage and it worked fine, both using menu to set waypoint and using the physical button - both brought up the save waypoint dialog, which I wasn't getting on the water. Point-1 is visible in devices list. I'll try again on the water this weekend and see if any change...

15. Member
    If you use the waypoint button, it sets waypoint at boat position, if you use crosshairs, you must use the menu

Well oddly enough, tested in the garage and it worked fine, both using menu to set waypoint and using the physical button - both brought up the save waypoint dialog, which I wasn't getting on the water. Point-1 is visible in devices list. I'll try again on the water this weekend and see if any change...
    Tested on the water today, and worked as expected. Not sure what was happening the other day with the error message

17. Member
    Tested on the water today, and worked as expected. Not sure what was happening the other day with the error message
    For any of a number of reasons I would venture you were not getting a GPS signal at that moment
    ciao,
    Marc

Tried the crosshairs and the new way point from the menu and it kind of worked.

The way point icon appeared on the map 60 feet away, which is what the target (A brush pile) was in relationship to the boat. Only problem was that the way point popped icon popped up 60 feet "behind" the boat instead of 60 feet in front where the target was.

I'll try again next trip out because now, I just gotta know!