EZ Loader Custom Trailer W/inframe brake lines

Anybody with experience replacing these in frame brake lines. I think they are steel lines and this one may have failed. The line from the actuator is flex line that goes through the swing away tongue then connects to a single steel main line that is routed through the frame and exits directly before the front axle. The are no visible leaks on exposed line or hoses. Replace the entire actuator mechanism and have filled the new brake cylinder 3 times attempting to bleed the brakes however no brake fluid is reaching the rotors ?

I had a buddy whose had a tube trailer under his Champion. His brake lines would last about 5 years before developing a leak due to the metal line rubbing on the trailer frame. He finally just ran replacment lines on the outside of the trailer frame and hasn't had a problem since.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    It is a square tube frame and the steel brake line inside of it most likely has failed from abrasion/corrosion. Considering replacing it with a thermoplastic line.

4. Member
    Any flex line can internally fail. Especially on a swing away tongue. A steel line, not so much. They would open and leak.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reelswift View Post
    Anybody with experience replacing these in frame brake lines. I think they are steel lines and this one may have failed. The line from the actuator is flex line that goes through the swing away tongue then connects to a single steel main line that is routed through the frame and exits directly before the front axle. The are no visible leaks on exposed line or hoses. Replace the entire actuator mechanism and have filled the new brake cylinder 3 times attempting to bleed the brakes however no brake fluid is reaching the rotors ?
    It may take more that to fill the lines. When I replaced my brakes it took almost a full quart of fluid to bleed the two calipers.

I like to use a piece of tubing on the bleeder submerged in brake fluid in a glass jar. If fluid is being moved, there will be bubbles in the jar so you know you are making progress.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Catfan that is a great idea. I removed the hose connections at the calipers to make sure I did not push old fluid and debris into the calipers and after 3 fills on the master cylinder I suspected a leak in the main line. However I will give it another go with the bubble test.
    Last edited by reelswift; 02-28-2023 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typo

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Catfan that is a great idea. I removed the hose connections at the calipers to make sure I did not push old fluid and debris into the calipers and after 3 fills on the master cylinder I suspected a leak in the main line. However I will give it another go with the bubble test.
    Tighten the bleeders on all but the caliper closest to the master cylinder. Minimize the amount of fluid it takes and the only way to get the air out.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    No bubbles. This one is a booger lol.

9. Member
    I replaced the lines on my EZ Loader trailer last year. I ripped the hard lines out, and tied a pull string to one end. Once I had that done, I pulled new flexible line through the frame. Wasn’t too bad to do, but as stated, it takes quite a bit to bleed the brakes.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno 615 View Post
    I replaced the lines on my EZ Loader trailer last year. I ripped the hard lines out, and tied a pull string to one end. Once I had that done, I pulled new flexible line through the frame. Wasn’t too bad to do, but as stated, it takes quite a bit to bleed the brakes.
    I ordered a new fllex line and will pull in through the frame and start over on the bleeding lol. Curious was the line you replaced corroded, broken or obstructed ?

11. Member
    I ordered a new fllex line and will pull in through the frame and start over on the bleeding lol. Curious was the line you replaced corroded, broken or obstructed ?
    No, it was actually in good shape. I was replacing the brake actuator at the time, and found that the old brake line threaded end, that goes to the actuator was leaking on me. Threads didn't look to good, so I just decided to replace all the lines at that point.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

12. Member
    Find a shop that will do custom length stainless steel line's, had a local hot rod shop here in metro Detroit cut what I needed, had no problem pulling though the trailer

13. Member
    Replaced the in frame line, filled the master cylinder, then bleed brakes at the calipers. No more clunking and great stopping power.