Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HD Transducer High/Wide vs Medium/High ?

Hey... Just looking ahead...

I was looking at the new Lowrance AI HD transducer that will be available in a couple of months. I fish inland lakes for walleye that are mostly 20-60 feet with some depths up to 120 feet. I am interested in SideScan view to spot fish. Just curious if anyone knows what the difference is between the HD AI transducer with High/Wide vs Medium/High chirp? I noticed these options can be selected for the AI HD 3 in 1 transducer on the Lowrance web site. Is there a difference and if so, which one would be best for my type of fishing??? I don't see any explanation on the Lowrance web site.

Thanks

2. Member
    The HD High Wide is the best pick for viewing shallow water and seeing fish reveal on SI and well as DI. The HW has been missing in the freshwater market. Airmar has had HW for quit a while and it will give very high detail in deeper water and more coverage in shallow water. You would need the a3100 box to run that transducer even on an HDS Pro. That is the one I will be ordering when available. Fish Reveal in Trees and Brush will be a time saver and get you on fist for the AT2 to pick apart. I wish they would put the HW in the Ghost nosecone. Maybe in the future. Then I would not have to get rid of my 3D SS which will be hard pressed to have that happen so it will have to be outstanding for me to do but its looking that way. Will See. As they Say Too early to tell.

3. Member
    You would need the a3100 box to run that transducer even on an HDS Pro This is not an accurate statement.

ACTIVE IMAGING™ HD 3-IN-1
    Compatible directly with Lowrance HDS PRO or with a S3100 module
    *requires S3100 sonar module and relevant transducer for Fish Reveal SideScan on HDS PRO

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    You would need the S3100 box to run that transducer even on an HDS Pro This is not an accurate statement.

ACTIVE IMAGING™ HD 3-IN-1
    Compatible directly with Lowrance HDS PRO or with a S3100 module
    *requires S3100 sonar module and relevant transducer for Fish Reveal SideScan on HDS PRO

It most certainly is an accurate statement what part is not Accurate, If you read my post I am only talking about the Fishreveal HW transducer. What I talked about is not on the HD3-1 I'll wait!!!

5. Member
    I would stay a loong way of the HW-version of AI HD until Lowrance provides proper specs for the 2D-element used. Their history of previous HW is scary bad.

The normal high/ medium-element is plenty wide enough even in 200kHz for your depths, it will just not provide FishReveal on SideScan.

6. Member
    Unfortunately, I am still confused on the differences between the High/Wide and Med/High transducers. I talked to Lowrance Support.... That was a total waste of time! I realize it is a new product but the person on the support line could only read advertising brochure information and did not understand anything. I gave up talking to them without learning anything. Lowrance.. please up your training!

I have Basshopper recommending High/Wide but Team Colibri telling me to stay away from that! But Team Colibri says the high/medium will not provide FishReveal on SideScan?? But on the Lowrance Website it shows that FishReveal on SideScan is an option with that transducer.

The existing AI 3 in 1 transducer has specifications of Traditional Sonar of 200 khz high chirp & 83 khz low chirp. Side Scan is 455 khz & 800 khz. I dont see the specifications yet for the High/wide or Med/High. It would be nice to know what freq each transducer is capable of.

Any more thoughts or clarifications to help me out?

thanks

7. Member
    the side imaging fish reveal transducers require the s3100 module no matter what unit you are running, elite fs through hds pro. the hds pro does not reqiure the the 3100 module for standard HD 3-1 transducers. the module is required for the elite fs through the hds live. the high and wide is recommended for water under 100". medium high is recommended for water over 100" deep. if you have a a hds live and want to add side scan fish reveal you would need the s3100 module. if you just want the hd transducer with a hds live you will still need the s3100 module. if you are ordering a hds pro with side scan fish reveal you will also need the s 3100 module with either high and wide or medium high transducer. if you want to run the standard hd 3-1 you will NOT need the s3100 module. for the water you said you fished i would go with the high and wide. hope this clears some of it up for you.

8. Member
    In your depths a coneangle around 20-25 degrees is perfect. The m/h-element used in AI 3i1, m/h—TotalScan and the M/H AI HD has that. 21 degrees at 200kHz and slightly more in high chirp. As a comparison, the best transducer out there for your fishing (Airmar TM185HW) has a coneangle of 25 degrees.

Lowrance has not provided coneangle on AI HD HW, but in order to provide FishReveal on SideScan it has to be very wide. The last time Lowrance tried that wide a cone was with Bullet/ Splitshot/ Tripleshot, probably the worst transducers they have ever made. These have a cone of 40+ degrees at 200kHz, and that is basically useless for anything besides bass in very shallow water. Part of the problem was the coneangle, the other part was a cheap element. With that rather poor track-record, I see no point in even testing the AI HD HW before Lowrance tells us the specs, let alone spend my own money on buying one.

I'm also waiting for the full specs before deciding witch one I will opt for.

Following
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Member
    I’ll be going with the HD 2-in-1 and the Airmar TM150M. On that note, I wonder if the issue of DownScan being disabled when using the TM150M in fixed frequency along with the 3-in-1 has been addressed?

12. Member
    Anyone have anymore feedback on this subject? I'm trying to choose between the H/W or M/H. All of my fishing is "shallow" - 30ft or less. Typically even 20ft or less.
    2023 Puma STS

I dont believe anyone has these yet. Seems to be software issues which are causing big delays.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    Anyone have anymore feedback on this subject? I'm trying to choose between the H/W or M/H. All of my fishing is "shallow" - 30ft or less. Typically even 20ft or less.
    No, the (correct) specs are not available yet.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    No, the (correct) specs are not available yet.

Has there been any change of opinions on this subject any info on the h/w yet

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markhodges78 View Post
    Has there been any change of opinions on this subject any info on the h/w yet
    Unfortunately, no.
    I have received some informal info that the cone of the HW is 25 degrees, but I doubt that info is correct. Based on the screenshots I have seen (few and far apart) it looks a lot wider. M/H is still the "go to" element for people wanting good 2D as far as I`m concerned.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Unfortunately, no.
    I have received some informal info that the cone of the HW is 25 degrees, but I doubt that info is correct. Based on the screenshots I have seen (few and far apart) it looks a lot wider. M/H is still the "go to" element for people wanting good 2D as far as I`m concerned.
    Thank you for this update.

18. Member
    Now that the Lowrance 3 in 1 HD High/Wide has been available for a while now does
    anyone have any more info or reviews on this transducer?
    Thanks

19. Member
    The 3-1 Structure Scan Fish Reveal HW is not out yet the HD is out not the HW Fish Reveal 3-1HD is the only transducer that is HW

20. Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast