Thread: MHX S-glass

MHX S-glass

Has anyone built on these? Specifically looking at the 7' heavy, SSP845MHX. I don't buy too much stuff from Mudhole.

2. Member
    If you haven't fished glass before you are in for a treat. Very versatile blanks. Not sure exactly what you are asking for? I've been fishing S Glass for 50 years and it still has its place, especially the new linear Zentron glass being used by NFC and Rainshadow, and more each day. Woven glass loses it's modulus due to it's woven construction, the horizontal fibers are the problem just like scrim is the problem in carbon fiber. Linear Zentron glass acts much more like low modulus carbon rods because it is laid out like a carbon rod, but with increased durability.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    If you haven't fished glass before you are in for a treat. Very versatile blanks. Not sure exactly what you are asking for? I've been fishing S Glass for 50 years and it still has its place, especially the new linear Zentron glass being used by NFC and Rainshadow, and more each day. Woven glass loses it's modulus due to it's woven construction, the horizontal fibers are the problem just like scrim is the problem in carbon fiber. Linear Zentron glass acts much more like low modulus carbon rods because it is laid out like a carbon rod, but with increased durability.
    I've been fishing glass for years. I've been trying to find a replacement for the BS706, I can't find them anywhere anymore. The Rod Geeks SG70MHM is the closest but has a little less power and the H has way more power. The Zentron blanks from NFC are fine for many things (great spinnerbait blank) but the BS706 is slower which I like for cranks and jerkbaits. The Phenix X11 doesn't has less power than I'd like. It seems like all of the rods with the composite butt ends lose something that the old tomato stake had.

I've got a Rainshadow LSGCB72MH and Liberty GMB704 on order but I don't think the Liberty is glass and to be honest not crazy about the Rainshadow being bright red.

Anyway if you know of a source for the BS706 that'd be great. Otherwise I'll just keep looking.

4. Member
    The rod blank designer for Lamiglas for many years moved over the working for Mudhole before they came out with the MHX series, the gentleman's name is Todd Vivian, Lamiglas had a line of S Glass blanks that were in my estimation about as close to the Seeker as you could get, the SSP series, they were honey colored blanks, not the weird Seeker color. I still have a few unbuilt Lamiglas SSP 845 laying around in my stash. Coincidence?

I love them.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    The rod blank designer for Lamiglas for many years moved over the working for Mudhole before they came out with the MHX series, the gentleman's name is Todd Vivian, Lamiglas had a line of S Glass blanks that were in my estimation about as close to the Seeker as you could get, the SSP series, they were honey colored blanks, not the weird Seeker color. I still have a few unbuilt Lamiglas SSP 845 laying around in my stash. Coincidence?
    Good to know, I always enjoy your history notes.

7. Member
    Thanks! Ordered one up to check out.

8. Member
    Thrasher? Maybe wrong but doesn’t rich forhan have something to do with this company? Maybe wrong company
    Nitro z21

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Thrasher? Maybe wrong but doesn’t rich forhan have something to do with this company? Maybe wrong company
    I've built on all of the Thrasher BSC's...7801-7808. They are very good blanks for moving baits. Actually the 7805/7806 make fantastic swim jig and frog rods depending on your preferences (how heavy) and the 7808 is a good one for smaller swimbaits and Arigs. The 7803 is a good crankbait blank but not quite as slow as Sglass. I've talked to Jason a number of times and all he'll say about the construction is that they are composite. The can absolutely take a beating though. Rich isn't involved with the company from a business perspective as far as I know but I have seen where he talked about the blanks (on the Thrasher FB page I think). He gave his technique recommendations for each one. I think that Jason ended up with some of the Shikari mandrels.

The nice thing about these blanks is that you can cut them a lot if you want. I've cut them down to 6'10" and they don't really lose much at all.

10. Member
    So I did receive the MHX SSP845, Rainshadow LSGCB72MH and Liberty GMB704...all new ones for me. The Rainshadow is very very close to the Seeker. The MHX is not...way less power and to me more like an eglass than sglass feel about it...initially I didn't like it very much but after taking about an inch and a half off of the tip and 1/2" from the butt I'm thinking it'll be a nice jerkbait blank. I've got it almost done.

Not crazy about the red for the Rainshadow but whatever.

The Liberty isn't at all what I was looking for in terms of a crankbait blank but it actually feels like it will make a really nice rod for bladed jigs, it has more power than I was expecting. It was far from straight though which is a pet peeve for me but for $56 retail I won't complain too much.

11. Member
    Did you try calling Seeker directly? I ordered to two BS706's about a year or so ago and they sent them to me no problem.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    Did you try calling Seeker directly? I ordered to two BS706's about a year or so ago and they sent them to me no problem.
    I did not. I'll have to do that. Thanks!