Thread: Hydrilla

Hydrilla

Guys,
    I have been running 20 footers for years in two different boats. Never had Hydraulic Jack Plate or motor with a low water pick up in the nose. I do now 250 Merc Pro XS. Having alot of trouble getting around in the grass. Is it best to trim up as much as possible or to bury it. As you now Orange is on fire buts it a bear to get around. Any suggestion will help. No, sarcasm please am a local born and raised been running this area for more years than i care to count.

2. Member
    I raise my JP all the way up to get on plane in the grass but motor is trimmed all the way down. Once it jumps up I trim accordingly and watch my temp.

3. Member
    I do not understand the mechanics of it or tge "why" of it..... but if I am trying to get up in thick hydrilla, it helps to turn the boat a pretty good bit as you give it gas with the motor trimmed all the way down... I have driven high HP glass boats in it and I trim down and give it a lot of gas and turn the wheel some and it jumps up better then I start trimming and point it in the right direction. I do not drive or own the high HP boats anymore but it worked for me for years.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

4. Member
    Thanks Guys,
    I don't have trouble getting on plane up just can not run for any distance in scatter grass. Not talking matts either. I clogged in pig trails and boat lanes

5. Member
    I'm like Bandwagon, If I'm in grass or shallow water I raise my jack plate all the way up and leave it there. My boat get's on plane as fast as with it down.
    Like he said just watch your water pressure in case you get grass/mud in the intake. Good luck