Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cranking battery question

When I got this boat last year I purchased this battery and never thought about it again. This morn I'm looking at the battery requirements in the commonly ask question.
    This makes me think im using the wrong one. am I?
    Please lets not get into a battery brand or lithium debate .
    I just want to know if mine is under rated and if so what are the problems i could see if i keep using it. thanks

cranking battery.jpg
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    When I got this boat last year I purchased this battery and never thought about it again. This morn I'm looking at the battery requirements in the commonly ask question.
    This makes me think im using the wrong one. am I?
    Please lets not get into a battery brand or lithium debate .
    I just want to know if mine is under rated and if so what are the problems i could see if i keep using it. thanks

cranking battery.jpg
    Your battery is basically the dead minimum you want to use to run the outboard. Nothing extra for live wells or electronics.

It will work, as long as you don’t push it hard running pumps and electronics while the outboard isn’t running. But most bass fisherman do push it pretty hard with modern electronics.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    So im running 2 graphs . garmin echomap ultra 106sv on the helm and the smaller version 7" i think on the bow.
    So as im fishing I am using battery with these and really not using pumps at all as im not tournament fishing and releasing my fish.
    I do see voltage drop.
    what does this mean for running the engine then? pardon my ignorance but im just trying to get clarity.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    So im running 2 graphs . garmin echomap ultra 106sv on the helm and the smaller version 7" i think on the bow.
    So as im fishing I am using battery with these and really not using pumps at all as im not tournament fishing and releasing my fish.
    I do see voltage drop.
    what does this mean for running the engine then? pardon my ignorance but im just trying to get clarity.
    I’m not sure what you mean by your question. The concern is that you might get to the point where the battery won’t start the engine. Your use has a big influence on whether that is a concern.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I’m not sure what you mean by your question. The concern is that you might get to the point where the battery won’t start the engine. Your use has a big influence on whether that is a concern.
    Thats really the answer I was looking for . My question was more geared toward would it have an adverse effect on the charging system/engine ECU ect. We are just more talking running so low it may not get me home then?
    Last edited by styler; 02-27-2023 at 12:42 PM.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May not get you home, and potentially may not run properly, either.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I’m not hijacking but I’m curious on what the requirements should be for the cranking battery? I was told somewhere that 1000 cca was what I needed. I have a 2006 150hp ser- 1B273623.

8. Member
    Not an expert but have a look at the NAPA battery part #7234. I think it would serve you well.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    Not an expert but have a look at the NAPA battery part #7234. I think it would serve you well.
    Thanks. I’ll give it a look.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check out the FAQ Section "Batteries that Meet the Requirement...."

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Not acceptable for a bass boat application, absolute minimum 900 cca and 180 minutes reserve
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    Also make sure to not confuse MCA with CCA they are not the same capacity rating and it matters, a lot.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    cure to age old problem dedicated batt and wiring of adequate size for electronics = ( clean power supply)
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check out the FAQ Section "Batteries that Meet the Requirement...."
    Thanks Mr. Weed. I’ll check it out.

15. Member
    Revisiting this My local carquest has the the Interstate 31-xdl in stock . I see this as listed battery in the FAQ section. while this doesnt say marine it does have 1000 CCA and 1250 MCA .
    this is a good budget battery?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It would be a suitable option with those ratings.

17. Member
    Thanks Don. Im going to pick it up then. Forgive my ignorance but what can I expect? faster spin over when cranking?
    You had said using a lower capacity battery I could experience run problems which so far I haven't. This is definitely for peace of mind .

Quote Originally Posted by mperry View Post
    Thanks. I’ll give it a look.
    In the last 18 monthes I am seeing a lot of failures with that battery, now it only has a 18 month warranty. I will not recomend or use them any longer.
    X2, northstar, or lithiums
    Thank You Leon Pugh

19. Member
    Revisiting this My local carquest has the the Interstate 31-xdl in stock . I see this as listed battery in the FAQ section. while this doesnt say marine it does have 1000 CCA and 1250 MCA .
    this is a good budget battery?
    No, I wouldn't trust an Interstate battery to get me home, seen way too many failures with them. I am on my 3rd year running a Diehard Group 31 Commerical 1000 CCA battery and it has been great. I run 2 9" graphs one 10", dual power poles and livewell all day off of it with no issues.

20. Member
    Ok thanks on that I didnt buy it. they thought they had it in stock but needed to order and I told them to hold off.
    Im not saying you guys are wrong but why is it a group 31 wont fit in my battery holder? this boat is all factory. If I go with a 31 ill need to get a larger box . no big deal to do that just wondering. Came with undersize battery?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast