Thread: 520R info

520R info

Looking into a new rig. I currently drive a 2016 Z520c. To be honest, I am entertaining switching to Bass Cat to try the Puma STS, but there are quite a few things I do not like about Bass Cats.
    The reason I would switch is because the ride of the Z520c is not the greatest. I am a lifelong Ranger guy and would love to have the R boat, but do not want the same old ride and performance.

I have not driven the R boat, but am reading good things. Can someone tell me if they actually made improvements to the hull, and if so, what are they. How has it been improved?

Thanks.

2. Member
    I went from a 520C to a 520R. BTW, I thought the 520C’s ride was great. Differences between the two:

You sit up higher in the 520R
    Can stay on plane at 3,000 RPMs
    Console set up allows to see better with dual graphs at the bow (don’t get in the way while running)
    Compartments are deeper and much, much more storage space. I have the same gear if not more than I kept in my 520C and have plenty of room left
    The ride is fine to me but I don’t drive “balls to the wall” between every fishing spot since I have my 11yr old son with me most of the time. But when I do I’ve had zero complaints about the ride

3. Member
    Lifetime Ranger guy here too, currently run a 520L.
    last week I rode in/ fished out of a Puma STS.

“IF” ride is first on your list followed by performance then the STS
    IS the clear winner here.

I find for me that I can’t seem to break the brand loyalty thing and
    right or wrong will always run a Ranger.
    having said all that, the Puma STS is the real deal.

4. Member
    It interesting how different people opinions are, I have never owned a bass cat but Ive owned everything from skeeters, stratos, nitro, and a few others. I feel like you could'nt get a better ride than my 2015 520 c. I co fished out of ton of different makes and the only boat that has ever empressed me other than Ranger was a Big Phoenix
    Dave
    2023 Ranger Z518/ Mercury 200 Pro XS

Has anyone been able to discern what the hull tweaks are…Ranger says it’s the same hull as the L boat…which is the same hull as the C boat. For the life of me I don’t see how it could ride any different without a change in the weight/ dead rise or bow entry.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Has anyone been able to discern what the hull tweaks are…Ranger says it’s the same hull as the L boat…which is the same hull as the C boat. For the life of me I don’t see how it could ride any different without a change in the weight/ dead rise or bow entry.
    I don’t know what the hull is exactly, but I can tell you it’s definitely different than the 2008 C hull. Way different. Way better especially when it comes to off axis waves. The old hull was bad for slapping. The new one is hard to get it to slap.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    I don’t know what the hull is exactly, but I can tell you it’s definitely different than the 2008 C hull. Way different. Way better especially when it comes to off axis waves. The old hull was bad for slapping. The new one is hard to get it to slap.
    Do u mean 2008 or 2018 C boats? No C boats in 2008.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Do u mean 2008 or 2018 C boats? No C boats in 2008.
    It was always my understanding that the original z520 became the C hull. If that is incorrect, then I apologize.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

My R rides better than any C boat I’ve owned. I would say it’s the best riding ranger I ever owned. I actually considered a puma sts also and it’s been a year since I made that decision. There were a lot of sloppy issues with my boat when I got it. Most have been fixed, but I am not sure I’ll pass on the puma next time.
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    I’m going to have to find one to get a ride in. I’ve only seen one around here.

11. Member
    I believe you currently own the best made boat of the three you mentioned; JMHO
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    I believe you currently own the best made boat of the three you mentioned; JMHO
    Agree 100% c boats are awesome!
    2017 521c 2022 Mercury ProXS 250 4S

Fishing 122- What kind of "Sloppy" issues were there? Fit/Finish or operational?

Dean C- your comment on C-L to R hull is what I was trying to ascertain. If they made changes to the hull, what were they and how has it improved the ride/performance? I thought that someone from Ranger would comment.

My comment about the ride of may C boat is related to slapping. Rough days on Rayburn and Conroe beat the crap out of you when you slap waves.

14. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Ranger employees do not monitor or post on this board, Kingwood, and they also would not post engineering details of their hulls on a public forum. At least, they never have. Your best approach to a buying decision is to visit a dealer with R boats in stock and judge for yourself. I don’t know how far you are from Missouri, but Pro’s Choice over there is a top-notch dealer with substantial inventory. Alternatively, you could direct questions to “Pro’s Choice Pete,” who is a long-time and well-respected contributor to this board. Pro’s Choice also has a substantial Facebook presence. And btw, I have no affiliation whatever with that company.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

15. Member
    I have a z521c 2014 pre JM and I would not get rid of it for any other boat, I've had lots of brands and this is my first Ranger which I really have grown fond of. I always disliked Ranger do to room behind the wheel and they seem to ride flat, then I did a walk around and sat in this boat wow I have plenty of leg room being im 6'6" 280 since the maiden voyage i love it and every boat needs to be set up properly my boat rides amazing and im sure the R series is a great boat but this C boat continues to amaze me from ride to fishing platform to quietness when walking on the decks. For me its simple if your boat is meeting your needs then keep it if you have the wants get the new R boat and get it set up correctly and you'll love it. What I've learned over the last 40 yrs in bass boats is you can give the best riding boat to the worst driver and he will make it ride terrible and you can give the worst riding boat to the best driver and he will make that boat ride amazing its all in the driver.

My boat had poor glass work cosmetic wise. theres about 10-15 terrible repairs on it that should have never ever left the factory. Broken livewell cable that was jerry rigged to work by the installer. I burned up 4 livewell pumps starboard side before finding the issue being masking tape piece in the plumbing between the valve and the livewell spray fitting. Bad nema cables the minute i turned them on. my rubrail is mounted like the waves on the ocean. from the console to the bow it goes up and down. I took it upon myself to investigate the issue there. Turns out it was mounted and removed at least once at that area. Theres old screw holes from where it used to be. Not what you would expect from a 100k boat.
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

17. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I heard that the R hull is a mix of the C and L hull design, but I have no "proof" of that.

I previously owned a 2009 Z520 and a 2018 Z520L and the R rides better than both of my previous rigs. I did experience the chine walk that others have mentioned with the R at 60ish mph, but was able to remedy it with the trim and jackplate settings.

I had some minor things replaced/repaired under warranty on my current Z520R, but nothing major.

I'd recommend you taking a test drive if possible if the ride/performance is a major factor in your decision making on the Z520R.

Good luck on your decision.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

18. Member
    My buddy has a Ranger 520R very nice boat, but I have to say my Bass Cat Cougar rides better and faster in rougher water. Haven't been in the new sts hull but from what I'm hearing it's an even better ride. The ranger r was very nice tho has more options and features then the cats do.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I’m going to have to find one to get a ride in. I’ve only seen one around here.
    Premier Boating Center will let you drive one on Lake Conroe. They are located on l-45 in Conroe about 20 minutes or less to the lake.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

20. BBC SPONSOR
    My last boat before I got my R was a 2018 520C, and my fishing partner's is an L. The R boat does ride better than the C and L in my opinion. There is no more bone jarring hull slap on the left hand side that most experienced with the C boats. It also has the raised Commanche stripes like the L boats have that help deflect splash down and out from side waves. The seats are higher in the R than the L and C boats, and I believe that also helps with the ride. The R is definitely faster than the L boat, and comparable with the C boat...maybe a tad quicker. I also like the fact that in the R boat I can actually sit with my back flat all the way back in the seat and it feels like I'm driving my truck. The R boat has a lot more storage than the C or L boats. The day box is smaller on the R boat, but I can live with that. The cooler on the R boat is bigger than the coolers in the L and C, and I'd dare say bigger than both of them put together. The back boxes on the R appear to be smaller than the L and C boxes, but I still have everything I had in my back boxes in my last boat in my new one. I think the boxes appear to be smaller because the rear shelf part of the boxes are bigger than what they were on my C boat.

As far as the mixture of hulls, I was told it is based off of the C hull, with a modified L top. Form my own perspective, I also thought that when I first saw pictures of it. The top does remind me of the L with the sharper lines and the subtle differences in the cockpit. On the front deck, the trolling motor pedal is moved further forward than the previous models. It does make the front seem bigger. Also, the R boat has shorter sides on the front than the L or C. Not quiet a flipping deck concept from back in the day, but definitely shorter than the previous boats.

If you get a chance to ride in the R boat, you should do it. It is a different ride than previous models and in my opinion, they really did get it right with this one. If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message and I'll be glad to answer them.