When you are praying

New King James Version
    Matthew 6:
    5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
    6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
    7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.

I am sure we have all read the above passages before, and to me it seems very clear what Jesus is saying in His teaching and how we should conduct ourselves during prayer.
    Yet, much to my surprise, I was listening to Charles Stanley of In Touch Ministries teaching on this matter, and he went as far as dropping on his knees on stage with the bible on the floor in front of him stating that, unless you are on your knees when you pray, you are not humbling yourself before God. He went further, how he was taught this by his mother and grandfather as a child when they prayed by his bed. According to Stanley, unless you are on your knees, you are being prideful by not submitting to the will of the Father and not being earnest enough. He struggled up back to his knees and continued to the applause of the congregation.
    I am sure like many other, we like Charles Stanley for the many inspiring teaching on our Savior, yet, I am sure he should have made it clear that his statements were his opinions and not something which Jesus taught, especially since there is many people that by many different physical or medical issues could not or would not be able to do such a thing, which that includes myself with double knees replacement.
    Please share your experiences on this matter, or if you feel that I am incorrecting in understanding what Christ taught in Matthew 6.

In Christ's love,
    Frank

2. Member
    I think God hears all prayers of Believers whether prone, kneeling, sitting, or standing.

I frequently pray while driving particularly in low traffic situations.

It is fairly common for some pastors to kneel when praying. My personal belief is that it is acknowledging the Creator with a position of reverance and respect as we/he brings our petitions and praise before the Almighty.

I generally kneel beside my bed when praying before retiring for the night. Like you, it is somewhat painful to kneel but nothing like Christ endured on the cross.

Just because I choose to honor my Savior by during this does not mean that others are compelled to do this.

Do as God leads you.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    Holeshot
    Thank you for your very candid sharing of your personal belief and making it clear that it is your personal preference.
    May you have a blessed day
    Frank

4. Member
    It seems like it would be hard to comply with Paul's writings in I Thess 5:16-17 if you had to stop and kneel all the time. But hey, that's just me.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer View Post
    It seems like it would be hard to comply with Paul's writings in I Thess 5:16-17 if you had to stop and kneel all the time. But hey, that's just me.
    very good point, if we are praying without ceasing. Amen

This made me think of something I hear many, many, years ago. Not directed at anyone or meant to offend. Just for humor-

Anyone that says you have to be on your knees to pray, never fell down a well head first!

7. Banned
    Is prayer to get God to change his mind?

Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    Is prayer to get God to change his mind?
    We might ask him to but ultimately proclaime that his will be done like this-

For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. 9 In this manner, therefore, pray:
    Our Father in heaven,
    Hallowed be Your name.
    10 Your kingdom come.
    Your will be done
    On earth as it is in heaven.
    11 Give us this day our daily bread.
    12 And forgive us our debts,
    As we forgive our debtors.
    13 And do not lead us into temptation,
    But deliver us from the evil one.
    [d]For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Because we trust he knows best.

9. Banned
    So... what is the point, if the outcome has already been determined?

The answer for me is the same for all "what is the point" questions. Because it is necessary, the best way, and will benefit us for the glory of God at the end of the story (so to speak).
    Think about it. If God knows all, can control all, created all, etc.., from beginning to end, why go through any of it? Just create us in heaven and skip this earthly experience. If it wasn't best and necessary, we wouldn't be here. Everything, the good, bad, and the ugly.
    To think God would do anything second best is ludicrous.
    If praying, communicating, asking, etc.., wasn't best and necessary, He would probably disallow it.
    We should also remember that his ways are so far above ours and that we are not even capable of understanding (at this point, but maybe when we get to heaven), so we go by faith and trust.
    God bless you rexico, I hope you find your way home (if you haven't), I think time is short for all of us to be here.

11. Member
    What make you believe that after having read, what Jesus taught as the Lord's prayer, the outcome has been determined??
    I know that you are resistant in learning, though much has been offered over the yrs, but it makes little sense even for your conclusion.
    Last edited by digthemup; 03-02-2023 at 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling

12. Member
    Rex….one reason is that it glorifies God. It also puts us in communication with God as He desires a relationship with us. We also pray as Christ taught us to in Matthew. We always pray that God’s Will be done in our lives, we pray for forgiveness of our sins (true repentence), we pray for our sustenance, and we pray that we remain protected from evil and temptation and we always thank Him for the blessings that He has given us. Prayer is one of the highest forms of worshipping God.

Praise the Lord!

13. Member
    Well said!
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    I think God hears all prayers of Believers whether prone, kneeling, sitting, or standing.

I frequently pray while driving particularly in low traffic situations.

It is fairly common for some pastors to kneel when praying. My personal belief is that it is acknowledging the Creator with a position of reverance and respect as we/he brings our petitions and praise before the Almighty.

I generally kneel beside my bed when praying before retiring for the night. Like you, it is somewhat painful to kneel but nothing like Christ endured on the cross.

Just because I choose to honor my Savior by during this does not mean that others are compelled to do this.

Do as God leads you.
    Well said sir.