Help launching boat solo

Fiberglass ranger boat. Solo. No dock. Cement ramps. No sand beach. Both sides of the ramp are covered in bowling ball size rocks. 32° water.
    I know how to get the boat off the trailer but what do I do with it then? Install a keel guard and then float it up on the ramp? Could I float in on the rocks with a keel guard?
    Last edited by Crooked stick; 02-26-2023 at 10:17 AM.

2. Member
    Keel guard and power poles. Or get an Old school anchor and set it on the bank and push boat off lightly. Then pull boat to you after parking.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

3. Member
    Use a good keel protector and slide it up on the ramp. Poles to help hold it in place.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

4. Member
    Find and use a different RAMP. I think I would...

5. Member
    I wouldn't put it on the rocks.

6. Member
    Put the heavy anchor in the back of your truck with anchor rope beings 3x length of trailer. Back boat into water fast enough to push boat way off trailer, pull forward & guide anchor line over & off the trailer, when line clears toss anchor onto the bank and go park ur truck. Go to boat & pull it to you. You do have to consider the wind/wave direction. Super fast & boat never touches the bottom.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie2 View Post
    Put the heavy anchor in the back of your truck with anchor rope beings 3x length of trailer. Back boat into water fast enough to push boat way off trailer, pull forward & guide anchor line over & off the trailer, when line clears toss anchor onto the bank and go park ur truck. Go to boat & pull it to you. You do have to consider the wind/wave direction. Super fast & boat never touches the bottom.

very smart
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The cheap solution is an old rear motorcycle tire and wet feet. Did it for years fishing from a back country campsite with a basic ramp. Throw the tire into the water 8 or 10 inches deep above it. Pull the boat up onto the tire and wade the step or two into the boat. If you are agile, you might make it work without getting wet.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    I launch by myself 99% of the time on ramps identical to the one in original post. I have a Hamby's Keel Guard and a single 10' Talon. I use a rope tied to bow eye and trailer to launch. I gently pull the boat onto the ramp and drop the Talon. Have been launching this way for years with no damage to boat or keel protector.

10. Member
    Keel guard. I have done it for years as I fish by self mostly. Just pull it up on the ramp far enough so it doesn't move. I don't have talons but if i did I would do as RFSIMS above. It works. Don't park on the rocks.

11. Member
    Keel guard is the best way to go. I launch solo a lot. Have a rope maybe 25' long with a couple of clips on either end. One to my bow eye one to the truck, back it in pull it back up on the ramp. I've got poles though too. If you want the boat to go one way or the other I just clip the rope on the truck on the side I want it to go.

Agreeing with everyone above: A keel guard will definitely make the difference, and parking it on the ramp is the best way to go once you have one. Beaching on the rocks might go OK. Or they can "reach" up and around that keel guard just as often. The ramp is flat so only the keel guard will rest on the bottom.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by bbcman View Post
    Keel guard. I have done it for years as I fish by self mostly. Just pull it up on the ramp far enough so it doesn't move. I don't have talons but if i did I would do as RFSIMS above. It works. Don't park on the rocks.
    +1
    I BELIEVE!!!!