Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Do You Guys Mind Getting Me Up to Speed on Active Target?

Deleted
    Last edited by MBDiagMan; 05-11-2023 at 09:36 PM.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

2. Member
    If spending more than $3k doesn’t interest you, then none of the above. Option 1 is the cheapest route, with the best results.

3. Member
    I would never do option 1 you are a Lowrance user stick with it. Unless you want to go through the learning curve of another brand, beside Garmin got there live tech from Lowrance to begin with. There are many deals out there for HDS Live units Bass PRO and Cabels have on starting this week. If you buy a HDS Live with an AT there are rebates. Places like Russel Marine do trade ins See what you can dow with your TI2 to HDS Lives. Many options.

4. Member
    I would get a nine live and add it to your NMEA network. Everything would work together through NMEA. You can get good deals on the AT currently. I’m new to the FFS myself but I haven’t seen enough to say the garmin is superior if getting the same generation.

5. Member
    #2 Get your self a 12 Live and AT2. You will like the 12 much better then the 9 and your not learning another brand. This will leave you in a good situation for other options down the road.

I was in the same boat as the op, my electronics art Gen 2 HDS. I seriously looked at Garmin, but went with a HDS 9 Live, it should be here next week. Later I'll order the AT 2.

7. Member
    Any Garmin user that badmouths AT is just seeing shadows. The tech is shared between the two companies. There are some subtle differences but the concept and hardware was licensed between them as a result of some prior history between them.
    Personally, I would jump on one of the deals available on Live units right now and pair it with an AT 2. There are also big rebates available on Live units so keep that in mind when pricing it out.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Deleted
    Last edited by MBDiagMan; 05-11-2023 at 09:37 PM.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

Deleted
    Last edited by MBDiagMan; 05-11-2023 at 09:38 PM.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

10. Member
    You can direct replace with the Live. I’d make sure the fuses are the same size before using the power wire

NoCAL
    2B112175

Deleted
    Last edited by MBDiagMan; 05-11-2023 at 09:38 PM.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
    Thanks NoCal. So I understand that to mean that I would plug the same connectors into the HDS Live and add the AT connector.

Now, is this usually done with the camera at the stern or on the trolling motor? Also is the Live monitor usually mounted at the trolling motor or the console?

I would want the AT on the Tom same with the display for it. My dad has the same setup as you, 2 elite 9 ti2. He bought the active target in a iLife bundle with a 9 live this winter. I’ve been looking at how we are going to rig everything. My dad thought he would replace the bow 9ti with the 9 live.

We simply added the 9 live as a second unit at the bow, added a NEMA T to the NEMA network and added the 9 live. The Ethernet for the AT is hooked to the 9 live. The only be if it if getting rid of your 9ti is for selling and recouping some bucks. Not sure what you can get for them used but my dad is glad he kept. He can run his AT at the bow and still have map, 2D, SI, DI or whatever he wants to display in his 9ti.

if he waypoints something he finds in the AT he then can see the waypoint pop up on his map on his TI. As long as it’s on when the waypoint is created.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Any Garmin user that badmouths AT is just seeing shadows. The tech is shared between the two companies. There are some subtle differences but the concept and hardware was licensed between them as a result of some prior history between them.
    Personally, I would jump on one of the deals available on Live units right now and pair it with an AT 2. There are also big rebates available on Live units so keep that in mind when pricing it out.
    NoCAL

Not trying to argue and you do a superb free job here.

I own all Lowrance, have also owned Garmin, they aren’t even comparable, the lvs34 is twice as good as the AT1. I can’t comment on the AT2, until I own one. If you haven’t used both, you really have no place to comment on it.

Now they both do the job and basically show the same stuff, but the 34 has much better detail. Cost wise, he’s in the same ballpark, whichever way he goes.

Nobody sponsors me, so telling the truth is easy to do. I like Lowrance, but they aren’t #1 in the FFS game.

14. Member
    I own the AT my dad has the LVS34. Get the Garmin the AT is not nearly as good as the Garmin. I wish I would have!!!! The difference in the 2 is cone beam on an AT is 18 degrees and its 20 degrees on the Garmin. Does not sound like a lot but when you have 18 degrees at 80 or a 100 feet it is a pretty big difference. I have a hard time located my baits on retrieve with the AT. I have a hard time not finding my baits with the Garmin. I see the bait fall thru the water and start my retrieve at the depth of the fish every time. The garmin is very user friendly.

15. Member
    You cannot compare LVs 34 AT 1 what is that about 4th gen brand G since coming out. AT is first. The Garmin is not user friendly you have to make multiple adjustments every time you move and the learning curver for most is long on adjusting. Wait until the AT2 gets rolling on the new HDS Pro. Then go ahead and compare. With whats coming every shortcoming in the minds of brand G users will disappear. I have been on a boat multiple times with the new ones and they are incredible. But you will have to have 2 ,brand G users have to add another battery Lowrance uses will add another Transducer. Let the fun begin.

16. Member
    You could be right Hopper, but it doesn’t sound like the OP is willing to spend that kind of money.

Deleted
    Last edited by MBDiagMan; 05-11-2023 at 09:41 PM.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

18. Member
    In your situation, an AT2 and a Live 12" would be about $3600. An AT1 would get you right to your 3K budget.

NoCAL
    2B112175

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    Not trying to argue and you do a superb free job here.

I own all Lowrance, have also owned Garmin, they aren’t even comparable, the lvs34 is twice as good as the AT1. I can’t comment on the AT2, until I own one. If you haven’t used both, you really have no place to comment on it.

Now they both do the job and basically show the same stuff, but the 34 has much better detail. Cost wise, he’s in the same ballpark, whichever way he goes.

Nobody sponsors me, so telling the truth is easy to do. I like Lowrance, but they aren’t #1 in the FFS game.
    I'm only basing my comments on the side by sides done by Russel Marine and by Jacob Wheeler. The range to pick up fish and structure was greater with AT vs LS. Either way I believe they are both great tech. My main point was you will see that idea presented consistently on the Lowrance boards. You will not see it on the Garmin boards where they badmouth Lowrance all the time. I don't get it.

NoCAL
    2B112175

Deleted
    Last edited by MBDiagMan; 05-11-2023 at 09:41 PM.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast