Thread: Optimax?

Optimax?

Ok. I was on the Evinrude/Johnson forum and ask this question about a Ficht outboard and was told to stay away... Now I'm going to ask about the Optimax outboards, I'm hearing these have been nicknamed " OptiPop" is this true? Looking at purchasing a used Bass boat, so I'm wondering what outboards to stay away from, and the years. I'm looking at Marine dealer's that have gone through the outboards and gave them a thumbs up. But I'm just not wanting an outboard that has a bad reputation. Thanks for all the help in advance!!!

2. Member
    not a brand or model that hasnt failed a times , yes they have had problems, maintenance and knowledge of the product is key
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    So are you saying " proper maintenance on any outboard is the key? Are you saying that the Optimax isn't a bad outboard after all? And it's not known for blowing up even with proper and regular maintenance? I'm just trying to get solid advice and a honest answer. Am thinking Bassboatcentral is where I should be able to get the answer on this subject. Especially on the Mercury forum.

4. Member
    What "year" (quotation marks are because Mercury doesn't use years) and hp engine? How many hours? What is the service history?

I've owned a 2.5L 150hp Optimax since new in March 2009, engine was manufactured, IIRC, Oct 2008. Keeping up with the recommended and scheduled maintenance has given me 13yrs of stellar service from mine and still today flaunt its 5.8mpg at cruise.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Good to hear!!!

6. Member
    yes maintenance , monitoring , and understanding how they work is very important , you can do some searching on hear and find most any information on any MERCURY engine you want , suggest you use the 3.0L forum also if your serching for 200 hp up for info , yes BBC is the place if you cant find it here you wont find it at all, ....... good luck now
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And keep the popcorn comments at the theater...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor