Harris Chain Hammered?

I live in southern Georgia.

I have plans to fish Lake Griffin on the Harris Chain for 1 week in mid-April.

However, it dawns on me that the Harris Chain gets pounded almost every week during the season.

2nd thoughts about it and considering Lake Moultrie on Santee Cooper.

Opinions, please.
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay
    150 HP Mercury Four Stroke

Just MHO, but if from Southen Ga ( I assume eastern side since also talking about Santee Cooper) I would definitely go into SC or Alabama even before coming South. FWC has ruined Florida. If you come to Florida, get as far south as you can.

I live in Columbus. Far west side of Georgia, though I have been to Santee Cooper and it's about the same distance as Lake Griffin in the Harris Chain. My concern is fishing waters that are beaten 24/7 by bass fisherman. I inderstand that the Harris chain is a fish producer, I would just rather fish waters that are not so busy. I really hate putt-putting around Santee Cooper based on all of the stumps, but catching good fish is the #1 priority. I want to fish Moultrie specifically. Thanks for your input. I do unserdtand that Griffin does have lots of vegetation (even in spite of the spraying). Anyone else goty an opinion on this?????
    Last edited by cjrich; 02-25-2023 at 05:38 PM.
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay
    150 HP Mercury Four Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by cjrich View Post
    I live in Columbus. Far west side of Georgia, though I have been to Santee Cooper and it's about the same distance as Lake Griffin in the Harris Chain. My concern is fishing waters that are beaten 24/7 by bass fisherman. I inderstand that the Harris chain is a fish producer, I would just rather fish waters that are not so busy. I really hate putt-putting around Santee Cooper based on all of the stumps, but catching good fish is the #1 priority. I want to fish Moultrie specifically. Thanks for your input. I do unserdtand that Griffin does have lots of vegetation (even in spite of the spraying). Anyone else goty an opinion on this?????
    You're near my old stomping grounds, grew up as a young'un in Pine Mountain :). Anyway, I'd be heading west then into Alabama if it were me, but I get the lure of Florida... it's just not what it used to be I'm afraid.

5. Member
    I live 35-45 minutes from the Harris Chain and have only been there a few times over the past few months. It definitely gets beat up this time of year by large scale tournaments. It definitely calms down some in April but there's no telling how the fishing will be having all that pressure for months prior. I actually go up to Lanier every year and have completely fallen in love with that lake and the area! Florida is definitely not what it used to be as far as fishing goes.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S
    12" Atlas Hydraulic
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    Solix 15, Solix 12, Solix 10
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 Ipilot Link

Just got back from fishing the Harris Chain for two weeks. Definitely a lot of tournament pressure down there right now. More so now then in April I believe though. I would think that Moultrie, and Santee Cooper would be much busier that time of year but not sure.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

7. Member
    I think there is a Phoenix MLF 4-15

It gets beat to death, but so does everywhere now. The weekends are worse of course, its not just bass fishermen, but specs and all the pleasure boats.

The worst part for me is if you get to the ramp at O Dark 30 you wait in line to launch, and if you don't parking is a PITA.

8. Member
    Save your gas and don't go to Harris. LOTS of big tournaments still happening in the coming weeks and months
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

All the popular lakes in Florida are pounded HEAVILY from Jan - June. Then it is too hot to fish. The amount of boats on all of the Harris chain this past weekend was absurd. I was with a friend and we came up on the canal between Beauclair and Dora and there were 15 boats within a 100 yard area. It is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by cjrich View Post
    I live in southern Georgia.

I have plans to fish Lake Griffin on the Harris Chain for 1 week in mid-April.

However, it dawns on me that the Harris Chain gets pounded almost every week during the season.

2nd thoughts about it and considering Lake Moultrie on Santee Cooper.

Opinions, please.

10. Member
    Florida fishing is under significant pressure. Over the last month there were three multi day tournaments of 200 boats on the Kissimmee Chain.

I wish they would raise the non-resident license prices to $100 for a week permit. Maybe we could fund some fish habitat improvements.

11. Member
    There is a lot of small FLorida lakes my buddy goes too that I would visit rather than Kissimmee chain. Those lakes get absolutely blasted in the first 3 months of the year. PM if you want the names of those lakes.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FALCONflyer200 View Post
    There is a lot of small FLorida lakes my buddy goes too that I would visit rather than Kissimmee chain. Those lakes get absolutely blasted in the first 3 months of the year. PM if you want the names of those lakes.

Everything in Florida gets hammered. If a lake is big enough to launch a bass boat and has bass in it, there will be a long line to launch, trouble parking, and then multiple boats within casting range all day, every Saturday and Sunday, sometimes Fridays, until May.

On or about May 15 the Africa heat kicks in, the ramps free up, boat traffic tails off, giving you about 2 hours to fish before you're looking at getting bear caught.

13. Banned
    Lake Deaton.

Rainbow River/Withlacoochee River (Rousseau if You have goo... great balance. stay in the channels and even then be careful)

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post

(Rousseau if You have goo... great balance. stay in the channels and even then be careful)
    lol truth right there...

15. Member
    The worst part is at launch. Once you're on the water unless it's a Saturday you can do your thing with no problem. I personally wouldn't limit myself to just GRIFFIN. each lake has something to offer. Watch Geno Losi u tube channel.if the grass has down in good Beau claer would be worth a trip. Jungle fishin.you'll have to go in after them.
    Just a thought...I'd hit Orange on the way down or back.
    Unless you fish them alot. You had guntersville Eufalla and Seminole a lot closer.
    Mike Clemons-Lake Butler, Fla..
    97 Gambler Intimidater / 200 EFI Merc

You need a lot of new props in Rousseau! Cannot run fast, and you need to learn how to get off stumps!

17. Banned
    Just busted the hull up on gambler in Rousseau. Idling to the bank and woops. Gonna happen if ya fish there. Just have insurance. About 7500 damage estimate. Its why i pay a prem each month.

Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Just busted the hull up on gambler in Rousseau. Idling to the bank and woops. Gonna happen if ya fish there. Just have insurance. About 7500 damage estimate. Its why i pay a prem each month.
    Dang Matt, sorry to hear. I busted a prop prefishing for Welaka T last month, not the same of course but still sidelined me for a bit until I found another prop :(.