Seaguar red label for cranking?

Is Seaguar red label any good for cranking. I like to use fluorocarbons on my cranking rods
    and seem to be respooling a lot. Red label is a little cheaper as far as fluorocarbon goes but
    haven’t used it wondering if it would be any good for cranking? Or is there a cheaper fluorocarbon
    out there yall use and recommend? Thanks

2. Member
    I don’t have a problem with it.

3. Member
    Red Label will be fine, IMO. Another option I've had good luck with is Yo-zuri Top Knot.

I have a buddy that's a much better cranker than me that really likes it. Interestingly, his second choice is the Yo-Zuri mentioned above!

For what it's worth, his #1 requirement in cranking (aside from economy) is a lack of stretch in his fluoro. Most of the cranking we're doing is ripping baits through grass, and some fluoro lots of others like for cranking stretches almost like mono making it a workout to rip through grass at best, and downright impossible at worst...and braid results in too many lost fish, so it's out. I only mention this as I think whether you think it's good for cranking or not depends a lot on what you're looking for, and I'm guessing grass ripping isn't top priority in Oklahoma. His second requirement is line diameter for 12 lb test. Seaguar and Yo-Zuri both have thinner diameters in their 12 lb test than a lot of others, meaning more depth on your baits. Definitely pay attention to diameters as you're trying different stuff. 12 lb Berkley 100%, just as an example, is going to be about the same diameter as 16 lb Red Label.

I tend to use Sniper for cranking and I think my buddy would too if it wasn't for the cost difference. I'm mentioning this as it stretches about the same and runs the same diameters as Red Label, so if you have tried and like Sniper I think you'll be happy with the Red Label. I don't use it because I personally have a bit of a vendetta against Seaguar after getting several bad spools in a row (admittedly many years back), and otherwise like the Sniper as it lasts longer and handles better for me. My buddy's calculus is that the Red Label is a better bang for the buck, and based on his results, I'm not going to argue with him!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Red Label works fine for me

Why not just use mono. With any cranking, I don't see any advantage of using any kind of flurocarbon line. If anything the fluro pulled the bait out of the mouth of the fish for me as mono has a little give to it.

Ive used it in various sizes for many years now for cranking.. has suited my needs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    Why not just use mono. With any cranking, I don't see any advantage of using any kind of flurocarbon line. If anything the fluro pulled the bait out of the mouth of the fish for me as mono has a little give to it.
    Sounds like your rod might be too stiff if you're pulling it out of their mouth with fluoro?

To me, good fluoro is the sweet spot between stretching enough and not stretching too much. The lack of stretch compared to mono helps a lot if you're fishing around vegetation as I mentioned above, and even if not, it makes a huge difference in just feeling what's happening: You can tell if the bait is fouled, if it just came over something so you can kill it and get a bite, you can effectively worm it through brush, and so on. Heck, in many cases you can tell if a fish is tailing it as the vibration changes when there's a fish behind it disrupting the water flow. I've caught a lot of fish feeling that vibration get dull or erratic when one is tailing it by giving the bait a long pull. That change in speed will trigger a bite a lot of times! Fluoro also holds up better to zebra mussels, dock posts, and the rest compared to mono in my experience.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    I’ve used 10-15lb red label for a long time on my squarebill setup. All have worked well. Settled on 12lb red label for sb and jerkbait.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS