Repair gen 1’helix 9 or???

After losing depth all the time at speed I installed a through hull transducer along with the y cable to use the transom transducer and now neither of them work. Hummingbird is giving me the option to send the unit in and repair it for $250 or buy a newer GEN three I believe for $1000. I do see a gen 2 on eBay for $600. And I’m debating which of those three options to do as the gen one seems to be plenty of graph for the fishing I’ve done up to this point although up on retirement now I am looking at going more and want be a better graph , so what would I gain on gen 2 or 3 vs 1?

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    First of all, I would be surprised if this is a problem with the Helix unit itself. If it was working before and all you did is install a through hull transducer and add a Y-Cable, then I would think the issue would be with the setup or transducer definitions on the Helix... or maybe a compatibility issue of some sort.

I'm not a Helix guy so hopefully some of the Helix folk will chime in here.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

At a minimum each transducer should on-the-water tested connected directly to the display to determine if the unit, Y cable, or display is the issue.

Is the 2D transducer a shoot-thru or thru-hull?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    The numbers on the cable ends of the transom and thru hull transducers are xp9 20t and xnt 9 si 180t. The folks at Hummingbird said those are the correct transducers. They also suggested I get the boat in the water, remove the y cable and just put each transducer in separately which I did and still no depth reading which I thought at least the transom transducer would give a reading as it did previously even though it would lose it at speed, so…I think we’ve eliminated the y cable as the issue and if the previously working transom transducer as well as the new thru hull transducer (with the drain plug open and water in the bottom of the boat) shows no depth then I don’t know what else to try. A guy more familiar with the unit’s then me I believe checked that the correct transducers where shown on programming the unit, so???

if there is something else I should check I’m all ears. If not then it’s the question of spending $250 to send it in to hummingbird to repair, spend $500-$600 for a gen 2 that I don’t know what the improvements are and will need a new transom transducer or spend $1000 for a gen 4 that I’m told does more stuff that I may or may not need but has better clarity which is good, but is it worth $750 to me who heretofore hasn’t used a graph at the helm for much more than speed, temp, depth and contour.

So again I’m open to suggestions. Thanks!

Both of those transducers do 83/200 kHz 2D sonar. XP 9 20 T is a shoot-thru transducer with remote temp sensor. The temp sensor is not connected using the 9 M SIDB Y cable or the discontinued AS SIDB Y cable.

You don't do any menu changes when using that combo of two transducers. The only thing that happens is the 2D source is in a different location. Compact Side Imaging is the setting.
    Your unit has a setting to match the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T==High Definition Side Imaging which adds the 800 kHz Imaging.
    It came with the Compact SI transducer for the lower cost, but most that know about it exchange for the HDSI to get better Imaging.
    Based on your testing, concluding the unit is the issue is probably it.

Starting with the second generation Helix 9 SI, the units have true Down Imaging from a DI piezo in the SI transducer. Also has three Imaging frequencies+ 455 kHz, 800 kHz, and 1000+ kHz or MEGA=MKz.
    Starting with the third generation Helix 9 SI, the units have HW CHIRP as standard for 2D sonar replacing 83/200 kHz. Also the same Imaging frequencies with more power==that + thing.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Wayne, you’re a wealth of knowledge, thank you! I’m torn exactly what to do here. I’m hoping that with my new found freedom with retirement I’ll now go fishing more and put more effort in learning to use a graph. With some unexpected expenses as of late I’m considering the cheapest route at $250 to fix what I have and go learn with it vs the $500 route to get a gen 2 and in a year wish I’d saved the $250 and go to a gen 3 or 4.
    Clearly first world problems. Decisions, decisions…

7. Member
    When my G3 unit went in for repair under warranty I got a new g4 unit back. I don't know what others experience is with this but If they end up replacing the unit I am assuming you would get a g4 unit in return.

8. Member
    Did you make sure you did not accidently turn sonar off?????

9. Member
    The day after I sent the unit in for repair I got tidying up the back compartment where the shop had just left the transducer cables laying rather than tucking them up to the side. I noticed a “L” end that had nothing coming out of it and then found the other end which I inserted into the end. Not sure if that was part of the issue with the shoot thru but yesterday was notified by HB they appreciated the $250 I paid them but there was nothing wrong with my unit. Ugh.

I’ve had some unforeseen medical bills and a few other things pop up so at this point I think I’ll just get the updated transom transducer and ride with this unit for awhile longer. Thanks to all for the help!

10. Member
    Hopefully things will work out for you soon.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    The day after I sent the unit in for repair I got tidying up the back compartment where the shop had just left the transducer cables laying rather than tucking them up to the side. I noticed a “L” end that had nothing coming out of it and then found the other end which I inserted into the end. Not sure if that was part of the issue with the shoot thru but yesterday was notified by HB they appreciated the $250 I paid them but there was nothing wrong with my unit. Ugh.

I’ve had some unforeseen medical bills and a few other things pop up so at this point I think I’ll just get the updated transom transducer and ride with this unit for awhile longer. Thanks to all for the help!
    Ask Humminbird if they will apply part or all of your money towards the new transducer.
    Rad Brewer

12. Member
    I did, they won’t. Ordered the improved transom one from Amazon.