Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Triple stack bow shroud struggles in rough water

Hey guys, I've been searching this topic all morning but haven't found much. I have a 21 model 21 PHX with 3 12" graphs at the bow. They are on a precision sonar triple stack mount and I have their replacement bow panel as well. While fishing yesterday I took a wave a little too fast and my fiberglass shroud that all of that sits on pulled the screws out of the fiberglass and was flopping around. I was able to just screw the screws back in, but I don't like it. There really isn't a way to get to the back of it and screw something in as support, so curious what everyone has done. I can screw some more holes in the fiberglass shroud and bow, but man I hate drilling holes in my boat. But honestly, I don't see another good option. Let me know if you have any good ideas! Thanks.

There is a member named, meleagris1. He has posted many times about how he has thru bolted his triple stack fiberglass bow shroud on his 21 phx. Search his name and pm him or find his threads on this or maybe he will log on and post about it.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

3. Member
    I've been thinking about this, I see two options...
    1 switch to rivnuts
    2 use construction or some strong adhesive to secure bar aluminum under the fiberglass, drill and tap the aluminum bar and screw the shroud into that

4. Member
    Would you mind posting a pic of the front of your boat? We run 3 12s up front and have been in some rough times and haven't experienced what you mentioned.

5. Member
    No way I would have 3 units on a mount that is just mounted to the vinyl shroud and not at least one part of the bracket be bolted to the deck. Not enough strength in that shroud no matter what kind of plate is used.

6. Member
    There are some posts about epoxying starboard/cutting board material behind where your screws will bite for your bow shroud. My 921 ProXP bow shroud with Precision Sonar plate didn't even handle two 12's once the water got rough... even with extra screws placed. I have purchased all the parts/materials, I just haven't completed the project yet; might be something to look into. In the meantime I had to go back to single 12" unit and used fender washers to increase the surface area holding the vinyl in place. If you find a better solution for your 3 units please keep us posted.

7. Member
    Just to be clear, do you have the standard bow panel or the fiberglass?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowkeyOh1 View Post
    There are some posts about epoxying starboard/cutting board material behind where your screws will bite for your bow shroud. My 921 ProXP bow shroud with Precision Sonar plate didn't even handle two 12's once the water got rough... even with extra screws placed. I have purchased all the parts/materials, I just haven't completed the project yet; might be something to look into. In the meantime I had to go back to single 12" unit and used fender washers to increase the surface area holding the vinyl in place. If you find a better solution for your 3 units please keep us posted.
    That's not very promising,what part of the precision sonar mount failed? I just added their over under mount wondering if I should add some extra reinforcement

Quote Originally Posted by Moneyshot View Post
    That's not very promising,what part of the precision sonar mount failed? I just added their over under mount wondering if I should add some extra reinforcement
    It’s never the bbt or precision sonar bracket that fails. It’s the plastic bow shroud that rips out of the boat. Those mounts might be made of 1/4” aluminum and all that jazz which is great but when you secure it to a plastic shroud with 6 screws into fiberglass that easily will strip out then you have an issue. For anyone with ideas of doing dual units on the bow I would suggest looking at st8-up mounts or the below linked boat logix. For anyone wanting 3 units I would do a dual st8-up mount over the pedal with the 3rd unit bolted to the deck on the right side. Or look at this mount by boat logix. I’m not the biggest fan of boat logix due to the adjustment Allen key pivot points look more like braking points to me but it should work.

https://boatlogix.net/product/triple-deck-mount/ I don’t think these images are really that mount linked, these images look like the bow panel one. I believe the triple deck mount is actually setup like this dual adjustable deck mount linked next. But this is the dual one. But you can see how it is wide enough to through bolt over the foot pedal and I believe the only difference between the dual and triple is they add a extension bar to accommodate the 2 units on the bottom of the mount. https://boatlogix.net/product/dual-a...le-deck-mount/

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

10. Member
    Str8 Up mounts are tough. I have a pedestal stack mount bolted to my BassCat. It’s solid

11. Member
    All of these mounts that simply bolt to a shroud have to be prone to breaking lose. I would never put something like that on without putting a brace from another point. You could put a brace on the trolling motor pedal hole that would be out of the way and really stiffen up the mount.

12. Member
    You could almost flip another gimbal bracket upside down and cut it down some, bolt it up under the bottom of the over under mount on the low bracket and secure it down in the trolling motor tray.. I'll have to look at it and get creative

Just seeing this - happy to help if you want to PM me your cell I'll give you a call and explain what I do. I use a BBT plate through bolted with fender washers and their triple stack - some additional well placed screws in the fiberglass shroud and these Ram mount stabilizers mounted to the deck - I have not had so much as a loose screw.

AB.jpg

AB3.jpg

AB4.jpg

AB2.jpg

AB1.jpg
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

14. Member
    BoatLogix…Done!

15. Member
    Great idea, what model Ram mount?

16. Member
    I like that idea, I'm using a double over under, wonder if I could just get away with one secured in the trolling motor tray

17. Member
    Pretty much the same as haus9393 said, it wasn't the precision sonar mount that failed. On mine the vinyl shroud just pulled out but the screws stayed in place; that's why the fender washers and increased surface area work but don't exactly look as clean as it could.

Just seeing this - happy to help if you want to PM me your cell I'll give you a call and explain what I do. I use a BBT plate through bolted with fender washers and their triple stack - some additional well placed screws in the fiberglass shroud and these Ram mount stabilizers mounted to the deck - I have not had so much as a loose screw.
    Looks great and appears to be a tank!

Based on this thread I figured something needed to be done to better secure my Garmin 1222 and HDS 9 Live. The bow shroud on my 2015 721 originally has just four screws into the fiberglass. Last year I added one more larger one center front but still didn't feel good about the situation. I bent some aluminum plate into a Z and tied it to the mount and through the front deck. All bolted and used some heavy rubber I had originally used between truck frame rails and bodies. Up front fender washers with rubber fender washer and larger ones under the nose. The fiberglass up front is about 1 1/2" thick. Seems much more secure now and I think I can live with the look.20230322_170711.jpg

19. Member
    I bent some aluminum plate into a Z and tied it to the mount and through the front deck. All bolted and used some heavy rubber I had originally used between truck frame rails and bodies. Up front fender washers with rubber fender washer and larger ones under the nose. The fiberglass up front is about 1 1/2" thick. Seems much more secure now and I think I can live with the look
    nice work, thanks for sharing

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LowkeyOh1 View Post
    nice work, thanks for sharing
    Good idea, I believe I have seen a stabilizer brace, made by one of the mount manufactures, cant remember who it was??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast